Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

It always brings a smile to my face when I see articles such the one below that illustrate the notion that it's not what you have but how you use it. Sometimes it's good to take a step back from our lust for gear and be reminded of this.

http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/inspiration/80-awe-inspiring-photographs-taken-with-a-nifty-fifty/

Edited on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM
AgeOfEmpires

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

"Way back when" around 2001 or 2002, IIRC, I came across a few of the digital photo forums, having just acquired a Canon G1. I was quite an active reader and a somewhat frequent contributor. I recall people always clamoring for the latest camera.

I also spent quite a bit of time browsing the then-popular digital photos sites and seeing a lot of pics that were not only not that good, but simply bad (mine included ). But I still recall coming across one guy - a street photographer in NY using a camera mounted on a Palm Pilot - whose photos were outstanding. I think that camera was less than 1 megapixel and certainly didn't cost the $1000's of the leading technology of the day.

I don't recall any of the galleries of anyone from that time but that guy. He didn't have much equipment, but he had loads of talent and creativity, regardless of the cost or sophistication of his equipment.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #3 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

I wouldn't consider a nifty fifty garbage, the optics are outstanding and it's very capable...the build of it is it's only weakness

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #4 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

Who said anything about garbage?

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #5 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

datousteve wrote:
Who said anything about garbage?

No one but look at the thread title...the nifty fifty is a great professional grade lens, just happens to be built with plastic. I'm assuming you are stating it's an inferior lens? Correct me if I'm reading this title wrong.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM
superthumbs
• •
p.1 #6 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

At least the one photo I clicked on provided flickr info indicating it was shot using a 50L. Not quite the nifty fifty.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

It's a great little lens, except for the less than pleasing pentagonal highlight bokeh that starts to show up when the aperture is smaller than f/2. The pros here would know this already but I just thought I'd bring it up for those who aren't aware of it.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:11 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #8 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

Foul.

Not all the images were captured with a 50mm. The macro of the lady bug was shot with a 50mm reversed on a 90mm lens. Some of the other macros, I suspect, were taken in a similar fashion or with extension tubes. Not a bare 50mm lens.

I like the concept of the article but the images don't support the concept 100%.

Oh and are we confusing the "nifty fifty" with the "plastic fantastic"? I've always considered the Canon 50mm f1.8 the latter while your run of the mill 50mm lens the former.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:54 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #9 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

I should have looked closer.

I also like the concept and think it would be neat to start an image thread specifically for the 50 1.8

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:07 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #10 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

datousteve wrote:
I should have looked closer.

I also like the concept and think it would be neat to start an image thread specifically for the 50 1.8

Start one off, that lens is a must have for everyone.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

drive_75
• • •
p.1 #11 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

artsupreme wrote:
Start one off, that lens is a must have for everyone.

Why is it a "must have"?

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

Hmmm. . . I continually hear praise for the 50/1.8, but I must have had a bad copy. I call my version II the "Iffy Fifty" due to its poor IQ, especially SA and CA, and mediocre performance at 5.6. To give a comparison, against a couple Nikon 50/1.4, a 55/1.2 (all AI-type), Pentax Super-Tak 50/1.4 (runner up to the 50/1.8 for softness until about f/4), and the 24-70L @ 50, the Iffy Fifty was the poorest performer through a range of f/stops from wide open to f/11, using newspaper on wall at 10', and mid-range outdoor photos. I was so incredibly happy to get the EF 50/2.5 macro and EF 50/1.4! The Iffy Fifty was gone in a flash on eBay, and I've never regretted it.

Apparently many owners have had copies that rivaled the 50 macro!

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:25 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

Awhile back now, I bought PetKal's '87 EF 50mm and it's a stud, not a dud.

Gunzorro wrote:
Hmmm. . . I continually hear praise for the 50/1.8, but I must have had a bad copy. I call my version II the "Iffy Fifty" due to its poor IQ, especially SA and CA, and mediocre performance at 5.6.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:00 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

sirmiri -- Glad to hear yours turned out fine. As I said, mine was a version II, so I don't know what the differences were. I categorized it along with the EF 28-105 for mediocre IQ.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:04 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #15 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

that's unfortunate. I liked mine when i had it. It's currently being used as part of a starter kit i lent a friend.

The 50mm macro is a hidden gem in the canon lineup

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:12 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #16 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

drive_75 wrote:
Why is it a "must have"?

because it's a disposable professional lens...I own a 50L and 50 1.4, but will always keep the 50 1.8 in my arsenal.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:22 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

While I found the IQ of my 50 f/.8 II very nice from f/2 onward - other than OOF highlights - the appalling build, useless AF in low light and ridiculously small focus ring a complete turn off and sold it for a much nicer 30 year old Zeiss 50 f/1.4, built like a tank and with wonderful smooth fat focus ring.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:54 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

Well, there is nothing special about the 50mm focal length, if it suits your photographic "eye" its a great lens, if it doesn't its not. Its not that there is anything inherently basic about the 50mm, its just another focal length.

For 50mm work as I don't like any of Canon's models of this lens (f1.8 crap build, f1.4 bokeh wide open, f1.2 cost) I am using my legacy Nikkor on my 5D2. I am looking forward to the release of a Canon 50mm f1.8 Mk 3 or Canon 50mm f1.4 Mk2. Looking at what Canon has chosen to release recently I appreciate I may be waiting a long time!

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:59 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #19 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

...however a good photo is a good photo, no matter how it was arrived at.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:12 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #20 · It's not what you have but how you use it :D

Great link! Thank you!

Ralph

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register