Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thinking of adding a 7d

gratefool1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Thinking of adding a 7d

Hello all. I am currently using a IdII with my 100-400 to photograph BIF and I suppose I am doing okay. My problem is that I also like to shoot my son's soccer games and the low light is killing me. I rarely get a decent shot in night games due to high ISP and need for fast shutter speed in action shots.
Do you think the 7d is going to help me enough to be worth it? We also shoot a lot of indoor wrestling with similar lighting issues. I am a little intrigued by the video capabilities of the 7d as well. I fly hawks and currently try to get decent footage with a GoPro or similar setup. I think being able to zoom in on the chase better than what I can do with my little handhelds would be nifty.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Ab

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Robert Way
• •
p.1 #2 · Thinking of adding a 7d

I like my 7D quite a lot and I shoot primarily high school sports. The 7D just feels right in my medium sized hands. If you have a chance to rent a 7D from a local camera shop I would do that and see how you get along with it. There are a lot of customizations one can make as far as AF is concerned. In my opinion the 7D is a very capable tool/

Bob

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Thinking of adding a 7d

I used a 7d alongside a 1diii.

I'm selling mine though since I've upgraded.

Check out my for sale post for a good price on a gently used one.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #4 · Thinking of adding a 7d

I've been using a 7D for soccer, baseball and basketball for over 2 years - a 70-200.2.8 II is permanently attached to it (except for an occassional 1.4x II). My keeper rate is very high using single-point w/expansion. A vertical grip and extra battery balance it nicely on a monopod. It is noisy at high ISO's, but, Lightroom or PSE clean up the noise in the JPEG's quite well. I can crop 50% and still print 13x19's on my 9500 II with no visible noise or grain.

Ed

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:32 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #5 · Thinking of adding a 7d

You will not go wrong with a 7D. It will be an improvement over the 1D2 for your purpose. If you cannot afford a 1D4 (the absolute best choice for this short of the 1DX), the 7D is an excellent choice.

I'm wondering.... have you ever tried attaching the GoPro to the hawk? I bet that would be some awesome shots. You could easily rig up the GoPro "head mount" to go around the bird's torso where the camera sits on his back pointing forward looking over his head. I wonder how well the bird would tolerate this? I know nothing about keeping hawks.... love to photograph them, however!

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:55 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · Thinking of adding a 7d

I am not sure that is ethical honestly.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pKai
• • •
p.1 #7 · Thinking of adding a 7d

vsg28 wrote:
I am not sure that is ethical honestly.

Again, I don't know anything about keeping hawks..... Of course, the assumption is that it would not hurt the bird in any way. I wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise.

I wouldn't hesitate to strap a GoPro to my brown lab if I thought he could make some cool videos with it. I'm positive he wouldn't care one bit.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:30 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #8 · Thinking of adding a 7d

pKai wrote:
Again, I don't know anything about keeping hawks..... Of course, the assumption is that it would not hurt the bird in any way. I wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise.

I wouldn't hesitate to strap a GoPro to my brown lab if I thought he could make some cool videos with it. I'm positive he wouldn't care one bit.

They've already done it but with an eagle. Search for the Human Planet series on Nat Geo...the footage looks great from the the Eagle's back as he swoops in for a kill...

some of the footage might be here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dwd5x

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:39 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Thinking of adding a 7d

The 7D is an awesome choice. See if you can find the "How noisy is your 7D?" thread on this forum...it was quite active until just recently. You'll find some amazing examples of what a 7D can do in the right hands, in any kind of light with good pp technique.

Andy

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:00 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #10 · Thinking of adding a 7d

See if you can find the "How noisy is your 7D?" thread on this forum

I'm sure this suggestion is made to be helpful, but I would encourage you to NOT look for any threads with that title. It will be filled with comments from the Canon 7D noise trolls (they inhabit this forum like termites in a rotting building), and you will only end up unnecessarily confused about your potential purchase.

The bottom line is that the Canon 7D is an outstanding camera in its price range, and can produce fantastic images of a variety of subjects. If it fits within your budget, you can't go wrong with it.

John

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:49 PM
gratefool1

p.1 #11 · Thinking of adding a 7d

Thanks guys!
As for attaching cameras to hawks, I have not tried that yet. Usually they are hooked tomambackpack somshotsnare less than perfect. Recently in Abu dahbi, some falconers cut the eyeholes out of a falconry hood and adapted a micro camera to the top. Amazing truly birds eye views. I will try to find the link.

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password