Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Check Out The Caption

wjlapier
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Check Out The Caption

Check out the caption to the photo in the link.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/25/nfl-upholds-seahawks-disputed-win-over-packers/?cmpid=cmty_fb_NFL_upholds_Seahawks'_disputed_win_over_Packers

If you don't want to click on the link here is what it said:

Sept. 24, 2012: Officials signal a touchdown after Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate pulled in a last-second pass from quarterback Russell Wilson to defeat the Green Bay Packers 14-12 in an NFL football game. (AP/ THE SEATTLE TIMES)

Just curious about what some of you think about this.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:51 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Check Out The Caption

Generally speaking, as a photographer rushing to get this shot out as soon after this final play as possible, you are not privy to all of the analysis and (gag me) more analysis that followed. You call it as you saw it, and as the outcome of the game would dictate. Thus, this caption fits with the outcome of the game (with the exception that only one of those two refs signaled touchdown, which the photog could have missed and the photo doesn't easily reveal). So my take on this is that it fits the reality created by the call on the field and the final outcome of the game, not because it was or should have been modified to fit this, but because the result on the field would have been the only thing the photog had to work with. Let the reporters and analysts deal with the other crap.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:55 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Check Out The Caption

Yea, I didn't want to get into the other stuff. I was curious what some of you think about the caption as it relates to that particular frame. I'm assuming the photographer has a few more frames after this one, and this assumption is what is worrisome to me. If this was a one frame capture I agree that in the interest of getting the photo out you got to do what you have to.

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:18 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Check Out The Caption

What's your concern?

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Eric Smith
• •
p.1 #5 · Check Out The Caption

There's nothing wrong with the caption at all. Officials (two) are signaling touchdown, and there is really no reason for the photographer to include the ensuing chaos in the caption unless he/she had an image of it and would then insert the proper information.

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:26 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Check Out The Caption

Russ Isabella wrote:
What's your concern?

Well, it's dishonest. Both officials did not signal touchdown. It appears that they did because of the single frame grab, but I'm sure the photographer knew otherwise, but still wrote what he did.

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:39 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #7 · Check Out The Caption

The photo in the link shows 2 officials signaling a TD. The rule book does not state how far apart the outstretched arms need to be. With that said we know one of the refs signaled incomplete while the other a TD, but in this photo both to appear to show a TD and the caption fits. The photographer could have and probably did run more photos clearly showing the 2 officials disagreeing and thus letting his viewing audience know what was happening by a caption.

Andy

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Check Out The Caption

Well you take a lot for granted if you believe the photographer knew this. There are ten thousand things going on at the moment the frame is captured and speaking for myself, I'm unaware of about 9,998 of them. As I noted in my initial post, it's easy to imagine the only thing the photographer had to go on when writing this caption is what s/he could see in the image and the outcome of the game.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #9 · Check Out The Caption

I see the point of the OP. The two officials *are not* signaling 'touchdown'. Only one is.

Andy, I have to disagree. Following your logic, if the caucasian ref was not in the frame, would it be accurate to say the "official signals touchdown"? Hell no. It would be inaccurate reporting.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #10 · Check Out The Caption

James I see your point. I was just going off the photo as it looks like both Refs are signaling a td and this is what the caption reads. What if the mentioned ref was not in the frame and the captioned read official signals incomplete pass, this to would be inaccurate. Either way bring back the real refs

Andy

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:21 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Check Out The Caption

It is not dishonest. The photographer got the frame, more than likely heard the white hat make the announcement that the ruling on the field stands, and it is a touchdown. Not knowing who the photographer is, although, I have a pretty good idea who it was, I shooting "live" he got the shot, heard touchdown, and ran to get it out. Once he got to his computer, he most likely had to go through 500 to 1000 shots to pull 10-15 shots, caption them and transmit. He was probably unaware of all the craziness until he had transmitted, and most likely every photographer who was not rushing the field was rushing to the media room. And with the AP and Monday Night Football, there very well could have been a runner and an editor, meaning the photographer did not caption the photo at all, but an editor did. I have known AP photogs that have had captions rewritten, or not written by them at all and written incorrectly.

However, while one official is signaling touchdown, and one is not, the call on the field, and upheld by the NFL is touchdown, so the caption fits IMO.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:35 AM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #12 · Check Out The Caption

Eh, I have to disagree once again, Carl. Yes, the final call on the field was touchdown. Yes, the call was upheld by the NFL. But that's not what the caption says. It says that that both referees are signaling touchdown - which they are not. I certainly don't think it was dishonest, nor did I say it was. Heck, I didn't even mention fault by the photographer. I called the caption inaccurate, which it is.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Check Out The Caption

I agree, James. We all know that both refs did not signal touchdown, so the caption is inaccurate. I also agree that it is unlikely this was an intentional effort to mislead. Raises a really interesting question about the responsibilities of the photographer to "get it right." I can see exactly how this caption could have happened, innocently, as I've explained above. But as you (and others) have pointed out, it's inaccurate. Is that inexcusable? Is the photographer obligated to have the whole story before submitting this photo/caption rather than rely on what s/he thinks s/he knows based on the 'evidence' [I still maintain that the photo itself does not adequately portray the two different calls by the referees]? or is this inaccuracy understandable and acceptable given the situation? And to take it further, regardless of the caption that accompanied the image, what about the outlet that publishes the photo? Wouldn't they be in a position to 'fix' it?

I raise these questions not for the sake of argument, but because they worry me as I think of the chaos that often characterizes end-of-game submissions.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:12 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #14 · Check Out The Caption

Good questions, Russ.

Inexcusable? I don't think so. If the photographer captioned the image, it was an honest mistake. However, I do believe an editor should have corrected it before sending it on the wire. AP got theirs correct by having the caption read, "Officials signal after Golden Tate pulled in a last-second pass for a touchdown. (AP)"

The difference is small, but makes the caption accurate.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Check Out The Caption

I would say that this is an honest mistake. I can see how this happened. Watching in realtime it's very hard to see the outcome of the play and from this angle the ref's arms are moving either toward to away from the photographer and not side to side, so it's harder for him to see the shape.

And this comes from someone who not only captioned a picture as the wrong team, but the wrong sex -- though that was in my first year of shooting.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:16 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #16 · Check Out The Caption

Caleb Williams wrote:
And this comes from someone who not only captioned a picture as the wrong team, but the wrong sex -- though that was in my first year of shooting.

On assignment I once asked a man what his daughter's name was. He said, "His name is Michael."

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #17 · Check Out The Caption

I think we all can tell of some story about screwing up a caption or name, hell just last Saturday I was sending in photos at halftime and realized I didn't change the file name from the previous week so about 15 files went to the photo-desk with the wrong names of the school and date. I tried to abort the ftp but it was to late so I just shot an email to the photo-desk apologizing, this was the first time I had a screw up like that and I hope its the last.

Andy

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:31 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Check Out The Caption

Actually don't see the issue here. The caption fits the pix and even in my small, slow world the editor regularly mucks with my captions. I think anyone who has shot any sport for a length of time has "proof" that officials make mistakes. I got one last week where the home team got burned on a punt return for the winning TD (by their arch rivals no less) and I have a pix of the guy stepping well out of bounds on the way. Not really news and I certainly didn't put it up for print.

As for miss-identifying, I recently had the runner in the lead shot identified as "Billy Sims" rather than Billy XXX. I'm sure some of you around here are old enough to remember the actual Billy Sims (Heisman ~1978, Detroit 80-85). Got to write a witty correction for that one.

Deadline is no excuse, but it certainly was a contributing factor for me.

Robert

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:35 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password