Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Priscilla Yang

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

I am an amateur and use my dSLR to photograph my kids -- at home and at their various activities. Good low light performance is important to me, as is the ability to get good shots of kids in action. I know that the Digic 5 processor of the T4i should be faster than the two Digic 4 processors of the 7D, but am uncertain how to weigh this against the 19-point autofocus system of the 7D.

I like that the 7D has a more solid construction and more user controls than the T4i, but don't want these enough to sacrifice performance in low light and fast action conditions.

I take video infrequently with my dSLR, although this could change in the future.

I am usually using my 24-105 or 24-70 L lenses, my 85mm/1.8 non-L lens.

I would be really grateful for advice from this forum -- is the 7D more camera than I need?

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:22 PM
hcm228
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

From everything Ive read, noise performance between the two cameras is negligible. So maybe you can rule that part out of your decision...or not worry too much anyway.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:27 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

You're getting the same sensor in the 7d as in the t4i. Saying that, the t4i is going to have a entry level rebel auto focus system, while the 7D has the best auto focus system available outside a professional level 1D series camera (not including the new 5DIII). There's been several on this forum that have said that the 7D is a mini 1dIV after the firmware update. It's a great camera for what it does

Images in low light will be exactly the same (same 18mg sensor), but with fast action, the 7D will be miles and miles ahead of the t4i.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Simple equation . If it moves=the best AF system you can afford .
I've had quite a few of the consumer bodies , and now have a 7D . It's worlds apart from the rest. Previous to it I had a 40D (and 50D for a short time) which is essentially the same 9 x point AF as the T4i . Don't get me wrong it was a great camera , but anything that moved did fox it quite a bit.
The 7D gets it right a lot more often.

As for iq the 7 does not disappoint me .

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:36 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #5 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

The T4i has the 40D/50D/60D focus system, not the one from earlier Rebel models. How's your T1i working for you?

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:47 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #6 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

If you are into hdslr, the t4i with STM lenses will allow auto-AF during video. The flip out lcd screen will also be useful.
For all photographic purposes, the 7d is the better camera. Actually it is the APS-C top dog for quite some time now. With FW 2.0, it is even better. Latest news of Magic Lantern hack will transform the 7d to another level of camera.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

If your T1i doesn't bother you for size and ergonomics, I recommend the T4i. It is more advanced than the 7D (which is looking decidedly old). I'm sure you know the improvements in video and other features of the T4i.

If you were shooting primarily sports or wildlife, I'd recommend the 7D over the T4i.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Priscilla Yang

p.1 #8 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

I shoot mostly sports -- no wildlife unless I count my kids as such (which they are at times). The T1i has been good for learning -- and before the T1i, I spent over a year shooting with an XT and prime lenses. That said, I am far from expert! The T1i meets a lot of needs in terms of shooting snap shots of the kids playing in the backyard and such, but I am frequently frustrated when I am trying to shoot at the soccer game, gymnastics practice, etc.

I don't use the T1i to shoot videos, but that's not to say that I won't start using my dSLR to shoot video if the capability is there and functions better than it does on the T1i.

Thanks for the advice!

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Priscilla Yang

p.1 #9 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

I shoot mostly sports -- no wildlife unless I count my kids as such (which they are at times). The T1i has been good for learning -- and before the T1i, I spent over a year shooting with an XT and prime lenses. That said, I am far from expert! The T1i meets a lot of needs in terms of shooting snap shots of the kids playing in the backyard and such, but I am frequently frustrated when I am trying to shoot at the soccer game, gymnastics practice, etc.

I don't use the T1i to shoot videos, but that's not to say that I won't start using my dSLR to shoot video if the capability is there and functions better than it does on the T1i.

Thanks for the advice!

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:39 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #10 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

There are some statements being made that need to be quantified, else incorrect assumptions will be formed:

" I know that the Digic 5 processor of the T4i should be faster than the two Digic 4 processors of the 7D..."
Faster how, and in what way that will help you? Is that statement really true? Maybe Digic 5 has a faster clock rate, but is it faster than two previous revision Digics working in parallel and multitasking? This statement is too general to be considered fact. I'm not claiming to know the answer to my own question, but the question is I think important.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vilimo
• • •
p.1 #11 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Priscilla Yang wrote:

I don't use the T1i to shoot videos,
...Show more

Based on your input here, I think you would be happier with 7D. I had rebel xt, 20D and then 40D. I can take my kids recital and sports stuff using those cameras. However, with 7D, it makes it much easier given its auto focus system.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:57 AM
Priscilla Yang

p.1 #12 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

I based the statement on this article:
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/digic_processors.htmlp

It's stated that the DIGIC 5 is six times faster than the DIGIC 4. Even if the two parallel DIGIC4 processors in the 7D work in a better than simply additive fashion, the DIGIC5 should be faster, no? As applies to image quality, the article states,
"Now, letís talk about speed. A DIGIC 5 processor is approximately six times faster than DIGIC 4. A DIGIC 5+ is approximately three times faster than DIGIC 5, and 17 times faster than DIGIC 4. In terms of image quality alone, this means the processor can perform more separate calculations, on a pixel-to-pixel basis, immediately after an image is recorded. This translates into more opportunities to evaluate each image and optimize its quality before itís even written to the memory card."

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:58 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #13 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Priscilla Yang wrote:
I based the statement on this article:
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/digic_processors.htmlp

It's stated that the DIGIC 5 is six times faster than the DIGIC 4. Even if the two parallel DIGIC4 processors in the 7D work in a better than simply additive fashion, the DIGIC5 should be faster, no? As applies to image quality, the article states,
"Now, letís talk about speed. A DIGIC 5 processor is approximately six times faster than DIGIC 4. A DIGIC 5+ is approximately three times faster than DIGIC 5, and 17 times faster than DIGIC 4. In terms of image quality alone, this means the processor can perform more
...Show more

I see. I would read that with a bit of cynicism. Lots of sentences with numbers followed by a final sentence of marketing speak. It gives no quantifiable measure of how the picture is actually better. Given that the sensor tech is basically the same, what they are likely claiming is that .jpg output may be better because they can chew on it longer. Similar to the claims of the 1DX having two stops better ISO performance... That's largely just .jpg processing.

Don't get me wrong, this may be exactly what some people care most about, so that's fine. I just prefer to take every claim from a big company with strong marketing and advertising arms with a grain of salt. This keeps me from doing things like standing in line for days awaiting the release of the next "big thing."

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Priscilla Yang

p.1 #14 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

dwweiche,
is that a vote then, for the 7D? The 7D's AF system should definitely be faster, which would hopefully help me out when trying to capture photos of the kids in action.

Since I am not currently using my dSLR to shoot much video and the sensor is the same for both bodies, if T4i processor is not necessarily faster than the 7D (or only faster when shooting JPEGs), then I'm hard-pressed to find the reason to get the T4i. Is there someone who wants to play devil's advocate here?

Thanks, everyone!

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:37 AM
Dark Slider
• •
p.1 #15 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Priscilla Yang wrote:
but I am frequently frustrated when I am trying to shoot at the soccer game, gymnastics practice, etc.

I wrote a big reply on the pros and cons and why a t4i is good enough for everyone but pros. But before pushing the send button I re-read your original post. The above quote reshaped my thinking. Get a 7D. Buy used if necessary.

/thread

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:38 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

I still say get the T4i.

It has a lot of electronic bells and whistles the 7D doesn't have. I've always felt the 7D was an odd duck (preferring FF), and now it's fairly old piece of gear. I've always preferred the inexpensive "cutting edge" Rebels, or slightly upgraded xxD series for best value for features. Better yet, the higher pro performance or FF imaging bodies of the 1D or 5D series (and of course, higher price tags).

If AF and focus precision are keys, then a 1D3 might be your best bet, but it is a rugged, heavy pro body and lean on features, including not the best LCD. I always find a large quality LCD to be a top priority for quick review or showing clients, and the T4i is great in that area.

My main interest is the incredible versatility and electronic assets in the T4i.

Picture-wise regarding IQ, I really don't think you will see a lot of difference in any of the 18MP APS-C sensors, although the newest ones likely have the least noise, especially at higher ISO.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:39 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Gunzorro wrote:
I still say get the T4i.

It has a lot of electronic bells and whistles the 7D doesn't have. I've always felt the 7D was an odd duck (preferring FF), and now it's fairly old piece of gear. I've always preferred the inexpensive "cutting edge" Rebels, or slightly upgraded xxD series for best value for features. Better yet, the higher pro performance or FF imaging bodies of the 1D or 5D series (and of course, higher price tags).

Well there's one huge hulking Big Ben of a bell that the 7D does have . The AF is streets ahead of the old tech system that's in the new tech rebel . It's a system first seen in the 40D . Yes it's better than the system in the older rebels (which comes from the 20D erra) . Like I said if it moves the 7D would be my choice.
At one point I had a mk2n and 7D . I tried them both together on many occasions on anything that moved. The only thing the mk2n did with more accuracy was birds in flight . (And the 7D has a decent hit rate at that as well) . All other things like dogs running , car / bike racing and my 3 daughters running around the house/garden the 7D copes very well . (I sold the mk2n thru lack of use).
My 40D previously (same AF as the t4i) always left me scratching my head at how even if I could keep the single point always on the moving target would just get things wrong .

Oh and there is another rather large Gong the 7D has in its favour. MICRO ADJUST. Very handy to have considering how much variance there can be in what Canon can call 'within spec'

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:00 AM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #18 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Oh and there is another rather large Gong the 7D has in its favour. MICRO ADJUST. Very handy to have considering how much variance there can be in what Canon can call 'within spec'

+1 Sold my rebel 'cause my L glass was under utilized without MA. Love the 7D cross points as well - but I'm an amatuer and need all thehelp I can get.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:34 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #19 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

Priscilla Yang wrote:
I shoot mostly sports

if you mainly shoot sports the 7D is obviously better

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM
riotshield

p.1 #20 · upgrading from T1i to T4i versus 7D

60D is a good middle ground between the pre-T4i Rebels and the 7D. You can get a refurb on sale this week from Canon Direct for $640 + tax.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password