Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HS Varsity Football

laxlife1234
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Varsity Football

So the coach asked me to take shots this year and I agreed. You guys can probably tell I'm not a pro with sports.... if anything I'm pretty bad, haha, but I try to capture any and all action. I am using a D700 + 70-200 (I shoot portraits which is why I use FF). Here's a bunch from the last game:

I'm open to CC if anyone has any, I don't plan on doing this as my job or really any more of it unless I get paid for it. I try to get the action as much as possible and I'd like a 300 for sports but my 70-200 works fine.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Varsity Football

Not bad. #1 is the only one that doesn't work for me at all. Generally, I think many of these could benefit from tighter crops to bring the attention more directly to the most significant action. Colors and exposure look very good.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:59 PM
laxlife1234
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Varsity Football

Thanks, yeah with #1 I had 2 pictures... the ball was in the frame but he wasn't in focus

I would crop tighter but if people want prints they wont print well then, most of them are >50% crops as it is. I know most people frown upon raw because of the size and the sake of convenience but I shot JPEG a bunch of times with sports and I still can't get the pictures to where I want them especially since a lot of the highlights need recovery or the shadows need pulling so I shoot RAW.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:05 PM
ChrisFWilson
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Varsity Football

Agree with Russ, not bad at all. Agree about the crops from a technical standpoint, but you also have to know your audience. I don't think most people frown upon shooting RAW, unless you have a deadline or the need to process lots of photos quickly. If you're shooting to make prints, have the time to do the processing and know you'll need to do some, shooting RAW is the smarter way to go, if you ask me.

Bottom line is that you got faces, the ball, your horizons are straight, your focus is tack sharp and like Russ said, your exposure and colors look good.

Oh, and #1 doesn't work for me either...

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Varsity Football

laxlife1234 wrote:
Thanks, yeah with #1 I had 2 pictures... the ball was in the frame but he wasn't in focus

I would crop tighter but if people want prints they wont print well then, most of them are >50% crops as it is. I know most people frown upon raw because of the size and the sake of convenience but I shot JPEG a bunch of times with sports and I still can't get the pictures to where I want them especially since a lot of the highlights need recovery or the shadows need pulling so I shoot RAW.

I too agree with Russ. There is cropping and printing for customers and there is posting on a board such as this and getting feedback, valuable feedback. There is a fine line. Listen and learn.

I am posting 4 of your images which I cropped to illustrate Russ' point. I look forward to more of your work.

Ted

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Varsity Football

As all said above... not bad work at all. The one thing I'd suggest is that if you feel you can scramble out of the way if necessary, shoot from your knees. All of the shots would gain a bit more pop and presence from that. Frankly, if it was up to me I'd be digging trenches so I can get the lens axis down at field level. (Not such a good idea from the safety point of view, but I can dream).

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Varsity Football

Jacob....like the others...I also think these are quite good. You received some good tips. Don't take this the wrong way....but if you think your stuff is bad....and you say your stuff is bad....you are going to give yourself a BAD complex and reputation. Give yourself credit where you deserve it. Then be critical when you need to be.

You mentioned that you try to capture any and all action. I can take that 2 ways....your will try to shoot any and all action that comes your way to improve your skills....or when you are shooting you are shooting anything that moves.

If it is the latter....be selective on your shots and shoot for quality...not quantity. Get in the proper position to take the shot.

If you can....shoot a bit tighter. Don't forget the non ball handlers.....linemen....defensive players, cheerleaders etc.

All the best and look forward to seeing more from you.

Frank

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:21 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password