Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

StarNut
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

Hi,

My wife has a conference in Las Vegas in a few weeks, and I'll be going with her (the reward of having all of our kids out of the house).

I'll have two days on my own (during the day), and am hoping there are things that I could drive to, shoot, and still be back in Vegas by around 5pm.

Hoover Dam? Red rocks somewhere?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mark

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:54 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

Zion is close enough. By October (maybe even starting now?) some color should be developing in the higher country. A tour up Kolob Reservior Road, http://goo.gl/maps/LSoTA into the mountains might prove worthwhile. Just a little over 2 hours from Vegas - an easy day trip!

The forests around Mt. Charleston can also be quite colorful. Don't know about the timing, but the area is well under an hour's drive from town. http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=charleston+fall+color&m=text

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:35 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #3 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

I will suggest you consider Red Rock, which is very close Vegas, and Valley Of Fire, which is also fairly close. Needing to be back by 5 PM means you do not want to go too far. Ideally you want to get out early for before and shortly after sunrise if you can.

The road in to Red Rock does not open until after sunrise when the park opens, but there are some possible early in the day shots from near the road that goes South of the Red Rock entrance that you can try. It is not real common, but if a sunrise "pops" nicely with great red light, the whole range of the hills called Red Rock can be very nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rock_Canyon_National_Conservation_Area

Valley Of Fire is a larger area with more variety of subjects, and you can go in on the roads at any hour of the day or night. But it takes well over an hour to get there from Vegas, and you would want to know where you are going in order to best catch early light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Fire_State_Park

I suggest you keep in mind the value of a good polarizer for almost every shot you may consider in the Southwest. Besides cutting distant haze, you can also improve color saturation of the red rocks even if close in, because they have so much sand in them that reflects in a specular way. Take the time to view the effects as you adjust the filter, and you can easily see the improvements.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:43 PM
troy12n
• • •
p.1 #4 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

Valley of fire is real close.

Zion is about 3-4 hours if memory serves me correctly, if you are going that far make sure you do canyonlands too

Edited on Sep 25, 2012 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon are close enough to be day trips. Do a Google search for Fire Wave and you will find enough photos to get you wanting to be there right now

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:57 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #6 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

This is very helpful; thanks!

We spent a couple of weeks in Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches a couple of years ago, so I'd rather do something new (especially on only a day trip). Red Rock and Valley of Fire sound perfect!

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:09 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

Look up Little Finland. Generally south of Mesquite, it is very remote so, even though you can drive to it, would require more time than you seem to have.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:17 PM
davwaym
• • •
p.1 #8 · Places to shoot landscapes near Vegas?

Well this was a tough day trip but I managed it once when my wife had a conference in Vegas and I was the tag-a-long......

It was in February.....I left my hotel room around 3am I believe...maybe earlier...grabbed breakfast and headed to Death Valley. Made it there for a gorgeous sunrise at Zabriskie Point....it was a great day!

Red Rocks is so close to Vegas that it is a no brainer.

Valley of Fire is worth the drive as well.

Enjoy!

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password