FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

splathrop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Unless you plan to print wider than 30 inches, lenses should drive your decision. If you do want to print wider than 30 inches, get the D800.

One caution. Nikon can't match your lens lineup, but MF lenses from Zeiss can somewhat make up for that. But that may make you want a better live view implementation than Nikon offers, to help with the MF.

I considered switching to D800 from 5D II, but decided against it for now, because of live view and MF glass. I want Nikon to fix live view or Canon to match the Nikon sensor. Until then I'm sticking with 5D II.

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

i am interested to learn who has made the switch from canon to nikon and has regrets?

i miss some of the lenses canon offers but i do not regret the switch.

anyone?

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:04 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

CGrindahl wrote:
There are focusing screens available for Nikon cameras from Katz Eye that some folks choose.

Not for the D800 or D600, unfortunately. It looks like the 5D3 went the same route with more difficult to replace focusing screens.

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:46 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Grantland wrote:
i am interested to learn who has made the switch from canon to nikon and has regrets?

anyone?

I don't think many who switched will have regrets. D800 is more compelling camera with better sensor. Combine it with many new inexpensive primes and most should be happy. If I didn't have all the Canon primes I would go with Nikon and be happy with the lens offering it has. As is, I agree with you that financial loss wouldn't be big, usually good lenses hold their value pretty well. I know I will be missing C custom modes on Canon, they are very convenient to me. Also, I heard interpolated LV is bit worse than Canon implementation. Lastly I like the EG-S focusing screen on Canon, make precision focusing much easier, but as 5DMKIII doesn't have it,all Canon advantage is gone.
From your experience, you said, you don't regret, so what makes Nikon, as camera and lens system, better in your eyes?

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:51 AM
pmac1985
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I wouldn't swap if i was you.

Ive just recently upgraded to a d800 from my d700 and it is a great camera.To be honest its probably to much for me, as I only upgraded because I could not because i needed to.

But I was very tempted to switch to a 5dmk3 and only didn't as I've never really used a canon, would loose a lot swapping systems and worried that i may not get on with there system having used nikon for a few years.

The mk3 seems like an all round better camera and the canon lens line up is better and cheaper overall.
I also think that canon images give a different and in my eyes a slightly better feel,this is something I only started to notice after investing heavily in nikon.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy I bought the d800, but you wouldn't get the same lenses if you swap and that my leave you disappointed. Body change every few years....

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Rooster L200
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I switched from Canon t Nikon because the autofocus speed and accuracy were so much better, never looked back since (this was 5d to d700). I find the quick lenses absolutely topnotch to.

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:51 PM
dgsphoto
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I suggest:

Nikon D800 + 14-24 (or Zeiss 21) + Zeiss 50 (used) in lieu of Canon 24, 50 and 200. Keep your current canon and the 85, 135.

This would be an incremental couple of grand expense but will allow you extended time with both systems in parallel.

After then If you decide to keep the Canon then you won't lose much on the Nikon package and you can always buy your favorite Canon lenses back.

If you decide you like the Nikon system better, then you can try the zeiss 100 (in between the 85 and 135) with it and see how you like it...You may even think about consolidating your 85/135 FLs into a single 100mm option.

Once you have decided on which system you like better, you can look for the 200 FL alternatives you have. Canon's 70-200 zoom is actually better than the 200/2.8 prime it seems.

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:31 PM
bemyzeke
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I moved from Canon 5D Mk II to D800 and I am quite satisfied with it. Granted that I don't use primes that much but from what I have seen first hand (aside from internet grapevine) there is not much to miss, except for 85mm f/1.2 II and 135mm f/2 L. Even in the 85mm I believe the Nikon version is sharper but Canon has better bokeh. Oh ye, the wide-angle TS-Es. Not a fan of Nikon versions.

On the other hand, you get 14-24mm wide angle zoom, 16-35 VR wide angle, best in class 24mm and excellent 28-50-85 f/1.8 for the price.

That said, lenses are only part of the equation. In my opinion the benefits of D800e outweigh Nikon's disadvantage in lenses and thus tipped the scale in favor of D800e for me.

Oct 02, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

CalBoy87 wrote:
I don't think many who switched will have regrets. D800 is more compelling camera with better sensor. Combine it with many new inexpensive primes and most should be happy. If I didn't have all the Canon primes I would go with Nikon and be happy with the lens offering it has. As is, I agree with you that financial loss wouldn't be big, usually good lenses hold their value pretty well. I know I will be missing C custom modes on Canon, they are very convenient to me. Also, I heard interpolated LV is bit worse than Canon implementation. Lastly
...Show more

i can't say nikon is better than canon but i have no regrets switching. both have their strengths. i switched because full frame was very important to me. I liked canon's 1d4 and 1d3 but i wanted full frame.

three things i wanted in a full frame body:

1. one that could focus using all focus points.
2. one were i could use spot metering with all focus points.
3. one that had better and more dynamic range (a great benefit with nikon)

i currently shoot with a D800 and D3s, they are great bodies. the only lens I really miss after the switch is the 85 f/1.2. I picked up a nikon 85 f/1.4D and it does a good job. so I am happy.

grant

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:11 AM
Rob Chisholm
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I switched from the canon 5d2 to the d800. There really is no comparison in the 2 camera bodies or sensor iq. However, canon possesses the holy trinity lenses (in my book that's the 35L, 85L and 135L). Man I miss those lenses, and especially the 85.

That said, I the 105dc is a great lens, and as is the 70-200. Rob

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:37 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Rob Chisholm wrote:
I switched from the canon 5d2 to the d800. There really is no comparison in the 2 camera bodies or sensor iq.

Care to elaborate? I was holding D800 other day and to me the grip seems a bit "shallow". I also like the Canon approach of being able to change ISO with one hand. What specifically do you like about D800 as compare to Canon? Control location, VF, built? As for sensor IQ, apart from higher resolution, is DR so easily visible?

Oct 03, 2012 at 09:10 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

To CGRindahl:
As you mentioned the MF lenses, I've got an idea. As I got already Nikkor 50 F/1.2 I mounted it on 5DMKII with adapter. I was using MF and LV. As I got Magic Lantern firmware installed, I could get focus peaking and focus trap which make it much easier to get object in focus. Don't know about D800, but on 5DMKII with ML MF lenses really can shine!! Here are few of the today's catch, nothing really special but sure was fun to use this lens!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29666272@N05/ (you have to highlight whole address and paste it)
I can see 5D advantage for using MF lenses here: better LV implementation, matte focusing screen and Magic Lantern which allows all kind of tricks while using LV. Also, don't know about Nikon, but on Canon you can mount pretty much any OM Zuiko, or Nikon (except D or G), so there is plenty of lenses to choose from. I can see on the forum, there are some great pictures with all kinds of Nikon lenses, you really remind me how fun it is to use those older gems - thank you!

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:27 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Grantland wrote:

anyone?

GrantLand I Mae the switch when the d3x came out. I held onto my 1dsmkIIi for a bit but it was not as good in many areas. The only thing I miss is the 85 and 135L. I also prefer the focus speed of the canon L primes the Nikon f1.4 primes are slow in comparison.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:52 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.