Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

timballic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

I've been wondering about this lens on and off, but apart from conversion tutorials there seems to very little about its IQ (for landscape use on Canon 5DII with Ed Mika conversion.)

Can you point me to some reviews or comparisons including it? Perhaps there's something in the archives here?

EDIT: So far every image I've seen from it appears rather flat and low contrast, but then they all seem to have been taken in dull, flat conditions.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

I had one and sold it. Great lens, no doubt. I read in a German photography magazine that they declared it the bestT/S 35mm lens ever made.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:56 PM
quicksilver33
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

I recently acquired one for use on my NEX 5N. So far I'm pretty happy with it but I haven't compared it to anything else really. I was thinking of doing the Ed Mika conversion but I'm traveling at the moment so it'll have to wait. Could post up some samples from the NEX if that'd help.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:14 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Thanks quicksilver, yes please, all grist to the mill.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:54 PM
roboticspro
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Hi,

I have owned these lenses since 1973, and had written up a thread about the FD to EOS conversion here a couple of years ago (prior to the EdMika conversion). My experiance with this lens on film and digital is that it was (is) a very high quality optic. I still have one copy that I kept (sold three others - all converted to EOS), and will not be moving it out of my inventory, as I feel it is that good. If you are interested, I can send you some large RAW files taken with it over the past few years...just let me know.

Edd

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:55 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Thanks Edd, I think 1600 size on here would be suitable, so anyone can see. I'm most interested in increased zone of focus rather than restricted.

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:00 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

I have on a different forum and on my flickr page a few pictures taken with that lens.
No complaints here. High quality optics.

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:46 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Hi,

Here are a few that should give you a better idea about this lens, from my original (pre-EdMika) conversion.

Edd

Edited on Oct 20, 2012 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Some more...

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

I recently picked one up, and I can say it's very sharp with excellent color on my NEX-7, it can pull out macro details in your subject.

To really see what I'm talking about, you need to see a 100% crop.
The full APS-C frame test shot with tilt:

100% crop:

Sadly, I don't have any at infinity yet.
This was a flare test:

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

timballic
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Thanks Edd and Lightshow, those are great, look good and contrasty too. I love that shot of the dahlia, wonderful smooth bokeh, I hadn't expected that.

I'm starting saving!

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:17 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

I bought one from Eastern Europe on eBay at a relatively good price. It was and is in mint condition. The EdMika brass adapter is not cheap but makes conversion very straightforward for those of us with less mechanical skills (he supplies a 2nd ball bearing for good reason - don't ask me how I know).
CameraServiceOne.com in the UK also convert this lens to EOS

I love the lens and haven't used it enough but will do so more in the future (too many lenses, too little time).

I used this site to help convince me of the IQ of this lens - http://forum.mflenses.com/infinity-test-and-others---canon-fd-35-ts-f28-t44513.html

Not in any way the same class as the photos in the link above, however I've posted some of my own shots here: http://tinyurl.com/c4alvad That album also contains two pics of my actual lens.

PM me if you want samples of RAW files, or 100% crops.

Two samples below. Picture Style was probably Landscape. Colours etc exactly as produced by camera ('film standard' curve and 5D Mk III-Generic ICC Profile in Capture One Pro)

Despite the CA showing in the 100% crop, I think this is a stellar lens!

18% RAW to jpeg conversion in C1 Pro. No sharpening or other PP, ISO100, f8

100% crop centre-left of previous image. No PP, ISO100, f8. CA on stone column!

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Good Morning,

timballic wrote:
Thanks Edd and Lightshow, those are great, look good and contrasty too. I love that shot of the dahlia, wonderful smooth bokeh, I hadn't expected that.

I'm starting saving!

You're most welcome, and good luck with the lens hunting! As has been said, it really is a stellar lens...

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:20 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Thanks. There are two on ebay UK now in lovely condition and reasonable-ish price, but I haven't the money spare until I sell a few things and save!

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:26 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Happy hunting.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:07 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

LightShow wrote:
I recently picked one up, and I can say it's very sharp with excellent color on my NEX-7, it can pull out macro details in your subject.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8447/7826370936_269574db31_h.jpg

Such a gorgeous shot LightShow, Has this any tilt or shift applied? What aperture?

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:37 AM
Annapurna

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

roboticspro wrote:
Hi,

I have owned these lenses since 1973, and had written up a thread about the FD to EOS conversion here a couple of years ago (prior to the EdMika conversion). My experiance with this lens on film and digital is that it was (is) a very high quality optic. I still have one copy that I kept (sold three others - all converted to EOS), and will not be moving it out of my inventory, as I feel it is that good. If you are interested, I can send you some large RAW files taken with it over the past
...Show more

Hi, do you have any links on your conversion?
Regards, Mikkelsen, Denmark

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:53 AM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Good Morning,

Annapurna wrote:
Hi, do you have any links on your conversion?
Regards, Mikkelsen, Denmark

Jorgen: It looks like the archive links are gone now, sorry. The process required access and skills with a lathe & milling machine, and about 6.5 hours of time. The EdMika adapter is money well-spent in comparison to what my time is really worth. He runs a very good operation and the products are made to a very high standard. Just my 2 cents as an owner-operator-user

Regards,

Edd

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Such a gorgeous shot LightShow, Has this any tilt or shift applied? What aperture?
No tilt or shift in this one, 3.5 I think, and thanks.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon FD 35mm F2.8 TS How good is it?

Edd, as you've had several of these, did you notice any difference in IQ between the earlier orange numbered optics and the later green numbered ones? I notice the later ones are slightly more expensive and wondered if the extra was worth paying?

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password