Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Repair for shutter release cable?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Repair for shutter release cable?

Anyone know if I can 'lengthen' a shutter release cable with either a phone cable or ethernet?

I inadvertantly had mine chewed to bits. I do have both ends, though, with about 2-4" at each end (it was a 15' shutter release ). Since it may well get chewed again in the location I'm using it, I thought I'd see what the options are.

ALLLLVVVVIN!!!! (stupid chipmunk)

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Repair for shutter release cable?

I'd say you're all set. Just see how many conductors it has ( my guess is 3 since it has 3 pins on the camera end) and splice the same number to them. The original style of phone wires had 4 conductors which leaves you with one extra. Depending on your needs the choice is more whether you need it to be very flexible (use the curly style of cords) or just more length, which can be bought by the foot at places like Home Depot. .

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Repair for shutter release cable?

Yup, it has three. Ground, focus, and shutter. Something about the type of wire is supposed to not be easy to punch into the jacks, but I don't know why.

I can wire or solder things if needed, but it's not my forte.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Repair for shutter release cable?

I built my own for my 350d with a really long cable. just the 3 wires its very very simple tech.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Repair for shutter release cable?

Soldering with the correct solder (rosin core) is always the best way to go. Many electronics supply places sell the correct product in smaller quantities. The most common I know of is listed as having having 5 flux cores in a wire that's about 1/16" in diameter. soldering new wire is usually fairly straight forward & the key to success is heat & flux. When you've got things right the solder creeps along the wires as the heat brings them into the correct heat range to make the solder turn into a liquid, BUT the wires must be clean of corrosion or shellac (not likely in this case) or oils etc.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Repair for shutter release cable?

I've actually done this for most of my remotes.
I use a small stereo phone plug/jack combo that's compat with extension cord for same

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Repair for shutter release cable?

Michelle,

I have used what looks like a Walkman connector.

Radio Shack should have it. Just get a male and a female connector.

When it is all said and done, you can just buy a Walkman Extension Cord

dan

Sep 28, 2012 at 05:21 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Repair for shutter release cable?

RobDickinson wrote:
I built my own for my 350d with a really long cable. just the 3 wires its very very simple tech.

long video cables or any three prong cable will work for a remote shutter release

Sep 29, 2012 at 05:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.