Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Youth football

clarence3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Youth football

Due to family events, I've missed out on the past 2 weeks of HS Friday Nights, so I thought I'd share some from Saturday's youth games...

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:48 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Youth football

5D3 with 600/4L

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:48 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Youth football

Great set!

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #4 · Youth football

All great shots but #1 & #9 are my favs. I look forward to your photos, they push the bar a little higher for many of the FM members. Keep up the great work!

Ben

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Youth football

Clarence....awesome set bud.

How do you like using the 600 for these guys.....is it a 100% use for the entire game or games or do you switch off to something shorter throughout. Do you feel it's sometimes a bit long or have you adapted to positioning yourself to accommodate the lens?

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Youth football

Thanks guys.

Frank Lauri wrote:
How do you like using the 600 for these guys.....is it a 100% use for the entire game or games or do you switch off to something shorter throughout. Do you feel it's sometimes a bit long or have you adapted to positioning yourself to accommodate the lens?

I use the 600 probably 90% of the time with day games. The cheerleader shots are usually with the 80-200/2.8L MDP.

I like the 600 because it lets me be lazy. I sit on the far 25-yard line and let the action come to me. I move to behind the endzone when/if the drive crosses midfield. So I only have to get up off my butt a couple of times each quarter.

IMHO, shooting with a long prime is also easier than leading the line of scrimmage with a 100-400 or 50-500 because you don't have to worry about zooming to compose... you get what you get. When the subject is close to you, you get a nice tight sportrait. If the subject is farther away, you get the helmet to cleats shot.

For youth sports, the 600 pairs nicely with the full-frame 5D3. It takes the extreme reach away that I get from using it with 7D and 1D3/1D4 (extra 30% or 60%). But sometimes 600mm is "wide enough" and you don't need the effective 960mm reach that a crop sensor would give. Sometimes I goof around and add a 1.4x TC on the 7D to get 1344mm equiv.

I like mixing in the FF 5D3 for youth sports where I have complete access to the whole field, but I'm not yet convinced that I'd want to invest in the full-frame 1DX as a primary body. I still like having the 1.3x and 1.6x reach for when I am positioned in safer designated spots on HS football, LAX, soccer, baseball, and softball fields.

I get some nice permutations from just 2 lenses (200/1.8 and 600/4L) and 3 bodies (5D3, 1D4, 7D). And then if I add a 1.4x TC to the mix, I can dial up any reach from 200mm - 1344mm.

Overall though, as much as I love the 600/4L (hard to decide if I prefer the 200/1.8L or the 600/4L most), I thought I might eventually trade it for a 400/2.8L. But I like that the 600 forces me to shoot a lot tighter than I was originally comfortable with years ago and it definitely captures shots that parents can't get with a megazoom kit lens from the stands.

It's not a subtle or discreet lens... a pain to travel with (I travel a lot) and it always draws the same conversations on the sidelines. But it also somehow streamlines access when covering a new field for the first time approaching the media gate or officials or AD's before a game. And I get a lot of parents that ask for my website address so they can see the pictures... something that probably doesn't happen as much if shooting with a kit lens.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:31 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #7 · Youth football

Great stuff. I love the eyes in #1 & #9. Thanks for your thoughts on using the 600 from the sidelines. It is always nice to hear how everyone approaches shooting games.

Jeff

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JMBANAS
• •
p.1 #8 · Youth football

I agree with everyone here - wonderful set, with #1 and especially #9 being top notch. Whenever I see you post, I have conflicting emotions - happy that I am going to see some great shots and frustrated as your pictures show me how far removed I am from being any good!

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Youth football

I think you have a great set (exposures, isolated action and bg) Clarence. That being said, most are the same type of shot with #10 and 12 being standouts.

Ted

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Youth football

^+1, Very nice, I'm going w/ #10 as my one fave...

Chris

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:55 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Youth football

But the real question... Can you get the moon with that thing? To which I always reply... Yeah and I can even get it with my cell phone camera too! They don't quite get the joke.

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:46 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Youth football

nice set

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:43 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Youth football

Every single one of these would make a perfect sports card shot. The low-angle isolation you've managed here is exceptional. Well done.

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:05 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password