Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

vtec44
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

I mean so perfect that you don't need to decrease/increase the exposure in post process? Even looking at the histogram to judge, I find that most of my pictures are within about 1/2 a stop to exactly what I want and rarely that I look at it in post and then just leave it alone.

Edited on Sep 25, 2012 at 02:33 AM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:26 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

It's generally within 1/3 to 1-stop of where I want it to be, but I shoot with that in mind. I like to underexpose by a little bit so I don't lose highlights that can look like crap if you have to recover them.

As time goes on, exposure will become pretty easy and you'll nail it with little effort. The best thing to do is shoot in full manual, shooting in semi-auto modes like aperture priority mean you get a lot of inconsistency. Shooting full manual you can usually find a setting that will work well within a given environment, save for window light etc. changing things in the surrounding room area.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:30 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

Perfect? Every single time?

No.

Actually....hell no.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:37 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

of course
yes
I am a professional wedding photographer

haha

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

Always? No way.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:41 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

One man's missed exposure is another man's art.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:48 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

RichardLavigne wrote:
One man's missed exposure is another man's art.

Especially when you're arguing about half stops. And especially 1/10 stops. I defy anyone to produce two images 1/10 stop apart and get a panel of expert judges to agree on which is correct. It's not whether they can see a difference (and that would be hard enough), but to agree on which is correct.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:55 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

^ I shoot a LOT of art.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:58 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

I never make mistakes.

Oh wait, I'm still daydreaming.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:11 AM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

hahaha... you guys crack me up. I'm just glad that I'm not alone.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

Ian Ivey wrote:
^ I shoot a LOT of art.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:16 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

Most of the time I'm within half a stop of what I had in mind. But then there are the, NEVER SHOW TO ANYONE FOR FEAR THEY'LL THINK I AM A BABOON exposures. I'm like Kurtis, most of the time I tend towards mild under exposure. I know people bang on about expose to the right, but I find blown highlights far more aesthetically displeasing than crushed blacks.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Manzelle
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

What's exposure?

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:41 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

If the "Green Square" doesn't nail it I should get a more expensive camera right? The green square is better on the 1dx right?

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:02 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

What you guys said... I'm more fussy about it when using OCF or studio lighting though. If I'm shooting film I tend to keep it a hair on the side of overexposure unless I want an explosion of grain...

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:29 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

This thread title made me laugh.

Absolutely not. I shoot in too many drastically different situations to be that quick.

But like Kurtis said, I always try to err on the under.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:47 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

tonyhart wrote:
Most of the time I'm within half a stop of what I had in mind. But then there are the, NEVER SHOW TO ANYONE FOR FEAR THEY'LL THINK I AM A BABOON exposures. I'm like Kurtis, most of the time I tend towards mild under exposure. I know people bang on about expose to the right, but I find blown highlights far more aesthetically displeasing than crushed blacks.

You're not doing it correctly, then. Expose so that the Zone VIII tone in the scene is at the top of the histogram.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:49 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

I wish I did. I didn't read every single response before posting, but I will say what Kurtis said is dead on. If you can get to doing manual mode and have somewhat consistent lighting, you will not pull out as much hair when you process your images

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:42 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

"Perfect" or "correct" exposure is a misnomer if you're going (or think you can go) by some else's definition. The "right" exposure is what you intended to get, and sometimes your intention at the moment you released the shutter doesn't match with your intention for how you want your photo to turn out in the end. I know many of us try to (and often) succeed in visualizing the final output, but doing that over thousands of shots seems a little bit unrealistic. It can also be said that you can take the shot knowing full well how you will have to tweak it so that it turns out the way you intended. Getting it "right" in camera can mean intentionally over/under-exposing one part of the image so that another can turn out the way you want to, while you tame down the "blown" part in PP. So long as that was your intention and not a careless, shoot first, ask questions later mistake, that's acceptable in my book.

That said, I've been gratified at how little I've had to PP to "fix" exposure issues in the last few weddings. Consistency is good. It also can turn into "boring" so keep pushing.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:11 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you always nail perfect exposure?

Does your subject move from place to place quickly? Do you also move around to get different angles quickly?

If so, then no. Even in the same room with windows, you need to adjust exposure from time to time when the subject moves around.

Don't count on the auto-exposure from the most advanced camera, since it is not accurate. But based on the reading of auto-exposure, one can tell what shutter speed to use quickly in manual mode.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password