Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

A few of us have had 1DX for a month or longer, and each of us has probably accumulated 10,000 frames on it or more. Therefore, we should have a fairly clear idea by now about key strengths and weaknesses of this new body.

I shall start by listing the best and the worst feature in my practical experience, please continue in the same manner.

(1) The key strength: High ISO noise handling. For me, coming from 1DsMkII, 1DMkIIN and 7D, this has been a major benefit of the camera. I have finally been freed of ISO noise based pressure to shoot often with marginal shutter speed and or DoF. In addition, I hardly use "Neat image" any longer on 1DX files up to and including ISO 1600.

(2) The key wakness: AF point display visibility in conjunction with AF pt. movement via joystick has been a major frustration and the cause of many misfocussed and cut off images. This deficiency really plays up when I've had a larger target in VF which quickly moves laterally, such as a swimming/circling duck, or an acrobat, or a dancer performing, all from a relative proximity where it is not feasible to use the center AF point only because of framing limitations.

Edited on Sep 24, 2012 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Lan11
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

A question re: camera manual note.
What does it mean: "Processing RAW in the camera will nor produce the same result as DPP".
Which one is better or what's the diffrence?
Also is the selected aspect ratio visible in the VF or only the LV?

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

I've shot several thousand frames with a 1DX and I agree with your findings:

1. Strengths - reasons to upgrade would be uber-high ISO, mega fps, FF vs 1.3, better AF configs

2. Weakness - the sensor at low ISO - it's nearly the same thing I've been seeing from Canon for years, not much real improvement here. Also, AF points are an issue, especially for a 7K body.

I have decided to hold off on the purchase because I do not consistently shoot at ISO 12.8K+, and while I find the fps/AF to be better than a MkIV, it's not nearly 3.5K+ better for me. I did love the dual CF slots, but that's not a reason to upgrade. Money is always better invested in glass these days...

I will say if the 1DX body had an 18MP Exmor sensor and red AF points I might be more likely to plunk down the cash...

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM
jonbrach
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

the 1dx is the best camera canon has ever made and possibly the best camera available in the market today....cost is an issue but if one can afford it it is a no brainer

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

Now, as far as the joystick AF point control is concerned, I think Canon have gone downhill compared to 7D. Two reasons:

(1) 7D joystick just feels better and is not as easy to get derailed from the intended selections.
(2) The 7D AF pt. selection via joystick is ON at all times. The 1DX joystick goes to sleep after several seconds, then one needs to reawaken it by half depressing the shutter before the AF selection can become operational again. Not F.G.
Unless there is some inane menu selection that allows the user to change the falling asleep of the joystick which I might have overlooked.
Too many software developers worked on this damn camera, I can tell.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:01 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

Strength:

AF consistency during long sequences. It's not 100%, but IMO better and faster than any past 1D series I've owned (and I've owned all of the non-s cameras). It also seems to handle sunny, warm midday action on FieldTurf fields better than past cameras, and less thrown off by the radiant heat atmospheric distortion. But I still need to use it in more of these situations.

Off-center AF points are about as reliably accurate at the center point.

Customizability. I use the AF-ON button for normal use and the currently active AF point. I have the * button set up as the registered AF point, typically as the center point. I have the second front button (the one above depth of field) set to activate 61-point zone AF for when I think that will be most effective, particularly a subject that moves around the frame a lot and will be recognized/tracked by the color-sensitive metering.

12fps does indeed provide more selection from sequences.

Buffer. With fast UDMA 6 and 7 cards I'm finally not hitting the RAW buffer wall nearly as frequently, and when it does, the camera recovers faster.

ISO performance. No quibbles about 1600-6400. I haven't gone higher than that yet.

Fluidity. The camera just seems to want to GO!

Weakness:

SOOC Jpeg quality is nowhere near as sharp as a decent RAW conversion and in-camera NR quickly obliterates detail. If you shoot in-camera Jpegs don't use any high-ISO NR unless you really need to. It will be fine turned off, even at the higher ISOs, if you also have in-camera sharpening off. Standard and High NR settings are too strong IMO. But with in-camera sharpening off, files will be a bit on the soft side. Testing is needed to determine your best settings.

Size/weight - it's been 10 years of 1D cameras. You'd think Canon (and Nikon) would have figured out how to make them less bulky. The 1DX is thicker than at least the 1DIII and IV. A photographer friend tried mine and because he has short, thick fingers, couldn't reach the DOF button without considerably shifting his grip on the camera.

My resistance to buying another one . I won't, probably, because I also want the 200-400...

BTW, so far I haven't run into issues not being able to see the black AF points in the viewfinder, though most of what I've photographed so far has been outside during the day/evening.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:58 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

rscheffler wrote:
My resistance to buying another one . I won't, probably, because I also want the 200-400...

Ron, why waste precious energy on trying to resist ?
You can have another 1DX as well as a superb (LN) 400 f/2.8 IS MkI for the price of 200-400L.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

Weakness of the 1D X. You'll need to sell your 500 and buy a 600 just to get back to square one. So that $7K purchase becomes $20K less what you can get for your 500, say $14K overall.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Weakness of the 1D X. You'll need to sell your 500 and buy a 600 just to get back to square one. So that $7K purchase becomes $20K less what you can get for your 500, say $14K overall.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

I completely agree with Peter's weakness list. I was just using the camera for 10 days in extremely bad light (in virtual darkness) and the inability to see the AF points was infuriating. Equally, having to use the joystick to select AF points slows me down compared to the Ring of Fire selection method we had since the 1V / EOS3.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:28 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

I gave up using the joystick to select AF points and instead use the old method of pressing the button beside the * button and using the two dials to move the point around. Perhaps an old habit on my part, but it's faster for me.

Best solution I've yet found to loss of the AF point on black is quickly hitting the button above the depth of field preview button, which I've set as another registered AF point. Doing so activates the red outline briefly, both when pressed in, and when let go, so you will see where the current AF point is located.

rscheffler wrote:

PetKal wrote:
Ron, why waste precious energy on trying to resist ?
You can have another 1DX as well as a superb (LN) 400 f/2.8 IS MkI for the price of 200-400L.

Are you selling both? Assuming the 200-400 is $10K, that would be a pretty good deal... but I already have that lens...

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:09 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

rscheffler wrote:
I gave up using the joystick to select AF points and instead use the old method of pressing the button beside the * button and using the two dials to move the point around. Perhaps an old habit on my part, but it's faster for me.

I think I`ll be going back to that as well. The control dials, once enabled, do a very fast AF pt. sweep, which the joystick can not do. That is a real shame, because I like the joystick the way it works on 7D, although not the lack of AF pt. illumination.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:20 AM
e.aland
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

thanks to you 1DX-guys for your absolutely useful and eye opening reports and sharing them !

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:15 AM
Derek
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

I've also owned every 1 series since the original (17 bodies) this is by far the best ever

Pros-massive performance boost in AF speed and accuracy in bad light, especially very tricky fast subjects, excellent hi ISO performance, can use old batteries from 1D3/4 (unlike the Nikon) overall awesome image quality, great build quality

Cons- no exp compensation in manual mode with auto ISO, no third stop increments in minimum shutter speed as custom function, max 1/250 minimum shutter speed in auto ISO config, no switchable crop mode like the D4, like the others said non illuminated focus points is stupid, you can't see them in even mildly dim environments

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

not an owner (& probably won't own one until next Spring, if then) but here are my summarized thoughts after about 30hrs of field testing + having gone over all 8000ish images I shot:

strengths: noticeably improved AF consistency & precision in both shooting modes, MUCH improved high-ISO performance (I'd shoot the 1DX up to ISO8000 without much worry, whereas I shot the 1Ds3 at ISO1600 & worried about noise in underexposed images), brighter/clearer/larger viewfinder + shorter blackout times + 12FPS = by far Canon's most responsive-feeling & confidence-inspiring camera, enjoyed having fast dual CF slots & the huge, clear rear display to boot

weaknesses: i prefer the 1.3x APS-H sensor format for my "faster" camera body, no AF at f/8, lack of exp compensation (still?!), new focus point illumination design is silly, at ISO100 i see no reason to "upgrade" from a 5-year old 1Ds Mark III, expensive given the areas where it isn't better than a 1Ds3/1D4 combo, wasn't too used to the new AF point coverages (preferred the spread of points on the 1D4 somehow), battery life is slightly worse than previous 1-series bodies (small, understandable issue)

that said.. the 1DX is without a doubt the single most comprehensively-capable camera body I've ever used & if money were either no object or if i shot indoor sports for a living, I'd buy two of these in a heartbeat.. i'll likely buy one before next wedding season, while keeping my 1Ds3 for ISO100 studio/portrait work & my 1D4 for fun aka birding.

if anyone's interested, my full 1DX review w/ comparisons to the 1Ds3/1D4

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

PetKal wrote:
The 1DX joystick goes to sleep after several seconds, then one needs to reawaken it by half depressing the shutter before the AF selection can become operational again. Not F.G.

Really Peter? You can depress the shutter half way to make the JS function? Is that a custom setting? Mine doesn't work like that. To engage the JS I hit the top right button on the back, it looks like a square with AF selection points in it. That works the same as my mk4 does. I guess I'm just in the habit of moving my thumb a couple of inches to activate it so that doesn't bother me. Then again I don't come from 7d experience. I can see the argument for both the way the 7d works and the way the pro bodies work. Sounds like too much management making decisions

Tim

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:50 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX owners: camera key strength & weakness

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Really Peter? You can depress the shutter half way to make the JS function? Is that a custom setting? Mine doesn't work like that. To engage the JS I hit the top right button on the back, it looks like a square with AF selection points in it. That works the same as my mk4 does.
Tim

Well, yes, that's the way all of the 1D bodies have worked in the past.
Which means there is one push needed of a button to bring the AF selection out of dormancy, whereas with 7D the friggin' thing never goes dormant.

Furthermore, if you use the old method of AF selection by dials, I can scan thru AF points faster then by using the 1DX joystick which, IMO, is NFG for fast and major AF point leaps.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password