Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

First of all, Hi everyone! How's it going? Been a while.

Well a lot has changed for me. My whole family has moved out of Alaska. In May, my sister and her husband moved to Arvada, Colorado, and due to my mom's health, she and I followed in July. We are expecting my brother to join us in the next couple months. Our original plan was for my sister and brother in law were going to buy a duplex, and they would have one side, we would have the other. Well, they could not find one, so they started looking at foreclosed homes that my mom could buy, I could fix up, and we would move into there, but they were overpriced and impossible to get. So hopefully this week, finally, after almost 3 months, Mom and I should be moving into a condo here in Arvada. I have no steady work, and am finding it very hard to find anything to pay bills until I am established here. I am shooting quite a bit, but sales have not taken off yet. I am covering quite a few high schools through MaxPreps, which is nice since I have been covering one school for the last 6 or 7 years. I am also shooting the Colorado Rapids for Zuma Press, and the Colorado Buffaloes for Cal Sport Media, but I am stressing about money. It is hard when I am taking care of mom, but need to make money too....

Anyway, here are some shots from various things I have shot since I have been here...

1. 5A #1 Pomona High School running back - shot with 7D, 120-300 2.8, gridded 580 EX II with off camera cord
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_0253.jpg

2. Arvada West running back breaks away - 7D, 120-300
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_0027.jpg

3. Ralston Valley varsity Tennis 7D, 120-300
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_0638.jpg

4. Ralphie the Buffalo prior to the Sac State vs University of Colorado game. That is one big mascot. 7D 120-300
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/MG_0025.jpg

5. Olympic Gold Medalist Missy Franklin takes pics with fans prior to Colorado Rapids game 7D 70-200 2.8
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/MLS_2012_CO_vs_POR_Auer0003.jpg

6. Mountain Range High School varsity volleyball 7D 120-300 shot from stands
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/MG_0416.jpg

7. Standley Lake Gators Varsity Softball 7D 120-300 2.8
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/IMG_1468.jpg

8. Chivas USA vs Colorado Rapids 7D 120-300
http://carlauerphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/rapchivaslead.jpg

And here are is a post from my blog on Team USA women's soccer vs Australia

http://carlauerphoto.com/sports/team-usa-women-send-coach-win/

So anyway, I am alive. I can honestly say for a while, a lot of the bickering that was going on here, and the verbal fights, inapropriate online behaviour and such wore me out. I just felt emotionally drained both here and with stuff going on at home. But now, I am just plain stressed over money and focusing only on photography and taking care of mom. So, while free time is not really free for me, I will probably be seen here at FM a little more.... I hope all is well with all of you....

Carl

Edited on Sep 24, 2012 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

It's good to have you back, Carl. I hope the stars align for you soon.

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Thanks Russ. I was all excited to shoot some Pac 12 gymnastics only to find out that the Buffs do not have a team (or at least one listed on their athletic website). I am planning on getting some Denver University gymnastics this winter.

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Thanks for the update Carl. Remember, "Change Is Good!" Sometimes it takes a while to get things back in order but I'm sure you'll be rocking & rolling before too long.

Ben

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:03 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Carl,

I ended up being the principle caregiver of my wife's father in his last 6 months. Perhaps the most demanding job I've ever had, cause believe me I'm not the "nurturing type." About the only shooting I did was the "have to stuff" for the single paper I shoot for. No time for anything else. It was difficult, still in looking back, I think it may have been one of the greatest learning experiences of my life.

On the positive side you'll be able to do at least one winter laughing at the natives complaining about the cold as you go about in your T-shirt!

You're a great photographer. I'm sure you'll start it up again.

Robert
A born and bred CO high country boy.

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Sounds like a lot of challenges going on, hope it gets sorted out for you quickly and, that you're able to keep shooting...

Chris

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:10 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Good to hear from you Carl... and good to see another 7D/120 - 300 combo out there. Nice images.
Best wishes on your new locale!
bb

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:42 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Welcome back Carl. We have missed you. All the best to you, mom, and your family in the midwest.

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:42 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

I too welcome you back Carl! So many things in life are more important than posting on an internet board. "In my life" John Lennon.

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ian408
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Welcome back Carl!

Glad to hear you've landed at least somewhat safely and you're keeping busy. Hope that getting your family moved has been good for all of you too. Best of luck to you all.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM
mmcatee
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Hope things level out for you soon, hang in there

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Hang in there Carl!! Good to hear from you. I'll give you a holler next time I'm out that way (should be sometime this fall/winter!)

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Welcome to Colorado!!! I know you're going to love it, as all us transplants do. If you're ever in need of anything (I did OK as an Engineer) give me a shout. I mostly shoot grand daughters (soccer, softball and an occasional track), but I'll keep my eye out for you (maybe do Starbucks sometime).

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:39 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Welcome back Carl. I hope things pick up for you. Good things happen to good people, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Matt

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:32 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Thanks for the comments everyone. It is good to be back in the real world. It is nice to have regular prices on things, and it has been way to long since I had a diet cherry limeade from Sonic. We found out that late today that everything is good on moms condo, so we are scheduled to close on Wednesday Will start moving in on Thursday and if I can get mom's bed put together along with getting phone and internet hooked up, we should be sleeping there Thursday night. Saturday afternoon I am lead shooter for Cal Sport Media at the Buffaloes UCLA game and then have David Beckham on Sunday evening for the Rapids. If any colorado people can help me move on Thursday/Friday afternoon it will be just unloading a portable pack rat storage container into the condo.

Thanks again everyone

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:05 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Welcome back to the lower and warmer 48 Carl. Good Luck to you and your mom, now and in the future. I'm certain good things to come are right in front of you both.

Matt

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:25 PM
pappawheely
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Glad to hear you are back and it looks like your future is bright!

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

Thanks everyone

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:46 AM
sklar
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Still alive and kicking in a new place with a lot of stress.

One year earlier and that could have been me playing against pomona!
welcome to CO

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password