FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Coordinator Blues..

lewismayfield

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Coordinator Blues..

Dear Anne:

I would like to hear some examples of bad coordinators and how you handled the situations.

Yesterday the coordinator was out of control. When we arrived she already had alcohol on her breath. She immediately began giving us instructions on what to shoot and how to shoot it. We have worked with her many times in the past and although she is usually high energy, this was beyond acceptable.

She was physically pushing me towards the bride and groom during the first kiss saying "Get close-ups. Get close -ups!" Mind you I was less than 20 feet away with a 70-200. I did not need to be any closer. This is only one example of the kinds of behaviors that continued throughout the event. "Get the tables. Get more of the bride smiling. Take a picture of ME!" Not kidding.

To add to my frustrations, about half way through the evening she showed me her "Boudoir" album that she had shot for the bride as a present to the groom. Point and shoot, direct flash, 4x6 insert album. All the while asking me, "I'm good right?" "I can totally do this right?!" Putting me on the spot to critique her "work". Uncle Bobs are one thing, but now the individual I usually hope will send brides my way is "competing" as a photographer.

I shoot in a very small community and word of mouth is important to me. I don't want to offend this coordinator but she made doing our job VERY difficult.

Any advise?

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:31 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Coordinator Blues..

Vague post is vague.

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:46 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Coordinator Blues..

amonline wrote:
Vague post is vague.

For real!

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:50 PM
lewismayfield

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Coordinator Blues..

I'm not sure what is vague.

I'm asking for input from others who have had difficult coordinators and how they have handled the situation.

I have not castigated the coordinator because not only is this a public forum which may come to their attention, but also because it would add no value to the discussion. I did give examples of behaviors which bothered me and attempted to explain the amount of time that was spent dealing with the coordinator rather than shooting the couple.

If you have a specific question about my post please let me know and I would be happy to fill in any blanks which may prove helpful.

I am honestly seeking the advise of other professionals. I value the opinions of our members, many of whom are at the top of this industry.

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:59 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Coordinator Blues..

I wouldn't want to do any networking with her if she truly acted like that. If you do it again in the future, just lay down the law, tell her how you work and thats it. Stand up for your business and take charge.

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:05 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Coordinator Blues..

Its difficult to work with an intoxicated person. I doubt she will even remember most of the event if she was as drunk as you say. I wouldn't worry about unless you go back there to work and she's drunk again and interferes. If that happens, then it's time to meet with her after the fact and clear the air tactfully IF she affected your work.
If not, then let it go. If it was me, I would just ignore her as much as possible, walk away, stay away from her, "be busy" so you don't have to baby sit her.

I doubt you're working there every weekend. Don't bad mouth her. Just do your job the best you can and move on. It's her place and sometimes we get stuck with stuff that we have to learn to work around.

Take her out to lunch after the fact, act as if nothing happened and get on her "great" side. Who knows, you might learn something about her and her disease which could help your future working relationship.

My dad was alcoholic, died from it. Nicest, most giving guy normally and when he was intoxicated even more so. You can't stop her from drinking so learn how to work around it if you go back to work there and she's intoxicated again.

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:48 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Coordinator Blues..

lewismayfield wrote:
I'm not sure what is vague.

I think the "Dear Anne" part may have thrown people off...

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:15 PM
lewismayfield

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Coordinator Blues..

joelconner wrote:
I think the "Dear Anne" part may have thrown people off...

Sorry, I added the "Dear Anne" after proofing my original post and seeing that it read like a Dear Anne story.

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:29 PM
lewismayfield

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Coordinator Blues..

This coordinator does not work for the venue, she was a wedding planner/coordinator hired by the couple. Most weddings in our area are handled this way.

We have a large hole in our wedding culture which allows most planners/coordinators to get away with anything. There are no set standards or expectations. Some will have multiple prenuptial meetings and include a staff to decorate, and provide a detailed itinerary. Others will show up on the day of the event, tell the bride how pretty she is and rely on the DJ, Photographer and Caterer to make sure everything happens on time.

I don't know how much she had to drink or if she was on something else. I just know that it was a bad experience for all who were there and that I will undoubtedly have to work with her in the future.

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:39 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Coordinator Blues..

Meet up with her in person....preferably over coffee and not drinks. Tell her the following:

1. Tell her you love her (as a person of course).

2. Tell her you love working with her.

3. Tell her how difficult she made things for you that day. Be serious with her about the drinking and show genuine concern.

4. Tell her your job is to make her look good and she needs to let you do that.

5. Tell her you love her.

6. Tell her you love working with her.

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:00 AM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Coordinator Blues..

maxwell1295 wrote:
Meet up with her in person....preferably over coffee and not drinks. Tell her the following:

1. Tell her you love her (as a person of course).

2. Tell her you love working with her.

3. Tell her how difficult she made things for you that day. Be serious with her about the drinking and show genuine concern.

4. Tell her your job is to make her look good and she needs to let you do that.

5. Tell her you love her.

6. Tell her you love working with her.

This

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:22 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Coordinator Blues..

I think maxwell's advise is sound.

I think you can too easily slip into 'nice for the sake of being nice' when working on someone elses territory. You do need to be clear, stand up for yourself. That doesn't mean you can't get along, it just means you work together and don't like the other person take advantage (which by the sounds of it could result in some seedy boudoir photos if you're not careful).

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:54 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Coordinator Blues..

If it happens again, follow her when she leaves, call the local pd and have them arrest her for DUI.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.