Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

Hi,
Our Epson R3800 has been the perfect work horse until very recently.
I run a print through and towards the very end I can hear a slight scraping noise and the paper seems jamed for a split second. The print then comes out with an extra line and a double row of scratches all the way across the print. The prints are of course ruined. This happens with A3 and A4 size.
I then cleaned everything thinking I must have some dirt etc on the rolls or the belt. The issue is still there though.
However, it is not with every print! Some are pristine, some (most) are damaged. There is no telling what will happen.
I have been printing for 4 years with this printer and never had an issue. I have not changed paper or technique or anything. The actual colour quality is still fantastic, there is no banding or any colour defects, just the scratches and the extra line at the end.
Any ideas what this could be?
I have attached a picture that shows the extra line and the the white scratches.
Any help would be great!!

Many thanks, Ute

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:01 PM
kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

Sounds like a head strike to me. Although you haven't changed media types, is there a pronounced curl at the end of the paper? Maybe adjusting platen gap will address the issue (widest setting). Certainly increasing vacuum on the bigger printer models would help---but that's not an option here!

If there is a pronounced curl in the media, I'd suggest "reverse curling" the media similar to using a d-roller.

ken

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:39 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

agreed that it's most likely a head strike from slightly curled paper (I own a 3800 too).

What do you have the thickness and platen gap set to? Which specific paper are you using?

You may want to bump up both the gap (to 'Wider' or 'Widest') and also bump up the thickness.

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:47 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

I use either Hahnemuehle Baryta or (mostly) Fotospeed Platinum paper.
I am lost as to what you mean by platen gap. (and that could be the answer to the problem)
How do I set it?

I checked the most recent print and it curls about 7 mm. I am not sure if that is too much? How do I set the gap?

Many thanks for your replies! Ute

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:58 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

7mm is a lot of curl. I think I recall a recent thread at luminous-landscape.com printer forum about the curl of Hahn. Baryta (you may want to check that).

the platen gap and paper thickness is set in the printer driver itself, usually under some heading like Paper Handling (thats on a Mac; no idea on Win). You can try decurling the paper and there is a method that some use that includes lightly misting the back of the paper w/ water (pls verify that before you waste a $$ sheet )

Oh, one other thing that I have seen people do on large sheets like that is that they do NOT raise up the output tray enough so by time the end of the paper is ready to come out, there is this huge hanging weight (the paper) that causes the end of the paper to pivot upwards so try to make sure the paper comes out of the printer FLAT

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

I think this is the thread I was referring to

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=67975.0

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Robert Snow
• • •
p.1 #7 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

Ute:
Here are images of the English Windows version of the driver.

bob snow

Sep 23, 2012 at 08:53 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

Great, many thanks for these very helpful tips. I will try it out later today.
FM is great!!

Ute

Sep 24, 2012 at 04:16 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Epson Stylus Pro 3800 question

Ute, if that doesn't work out: check what print quality you've set it at. I can only print my Hahnemuhle barytas at 1440 dpi (SuperFine), not 2880 dpi (SuperPhoto). When I set it to 2880 dpi I always get scratches. Probably has something to do with the amount of ink and swelling of the paper. Had even had Epson come over but their advice was to only use Epson paper

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:25 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password