FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Flash behind couple

TimSid

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash behind couple

Hi all,

I have seen some amazing shots by photographes on here of the bride and groom silhouetted by a strobe behind them, then a touch of fill to provide some detail.

May I ask, can anyone point me in the direction of some hints and tips before I start practicing, or indeed be willing to share any advice on achieving this effect?

I have a ton of questions - are you shooting TTL or manual flash? Is the flash gridded? Whereabouts do you prefer to aim the flash? How do you prefer to fill and how much? What do you prefer to meter for?

I have done a search but not much comes up. Any advice or pointers very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM
TomHarmon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash behind couple

Manual flash. Place flash behind couple. Take picture. Adjust if needed. The end.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Kegan Shattuck
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash behind couple

Aaaaand you need wireless triggers. Which was probably obvious...

Also, I prefer to aim the flash straight at the camera.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash behind couple

I would recommend try to do another type of shot. It is overdone and quite frankly not all that cool.
But what Tom and Kegan said is true.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM
TimSid

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash behind couple

Thanks guys.

No fill flash from the front?

Tim

Sep 23, 2012 at 01:04 PM
rmric0
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash behind couple

TimSid wrote:
Thanks guys.

No fill flash from the front?

Tim

If you want a couple in silhouette then why would you need a fill flash? Or are you talking about using the flash behind the couple to just create a kind of halo of light around the couple? If that's the case, then you'll want to do what it takes to get the couple properly exposed first, then add in the rear flash. Unless you're on auto-pilot you should be able to get it right that way.

Sep 23, 2012 at 01:14 PM
TomHarmon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash behind couple

hardlyboring wrote:
I would recommend try to do another type of shot. It is overdone and quite frankly not all that cool.
But what Tom and Kegan said is true.

Eh, I wouldnt worry too much about it. This is how people learn. I just did a backlit rain shot that everyone loved and is creating a buzz, so if it helps me get business...
Sure, everyone on here is trying it, but that doesnt mean everyone that is looking for a photographer has seen something like it.

Sep 23, 2012 at 01:38 PM
TimSid

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash behind couple

If you want a couple in silhouette then why would you need a fill flash? Or are you talking about using the flash behind the couple to just create a kind of halo of light around the couple?

Hi rimric0,

That is exactly what I am after!

@hardlyboring
Couldnt agree more. Its just a technique I want to get under my belt in case an opportunity ever pops up that I would be mad to miss! Its more of a learning process than anything to help round out my lighting knowledge. Every day is a day at school! :-)

Thanks for you help everyone - time to go get some practice!

Send any more hints and tips this way! :-)

TIm

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:49 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash behind couple

Manual.
Set up composition.
Expose for the background you want.
Add wireless flash behind couple.
Zoom flash head as desired.
Increase power as desired.
Done.

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:19 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.