New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Old glass play

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old glass play

Recently reacquired a 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor originally purchased 30 years ago.

Playing around, satisfying my need for lines

Thoughts? I think the BW needs more fine tuning.

Subject is leaf from Confederate Rose.

Regards,

Bob

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old glass play

Diggin' the alt glass ... which I guess isn't really alt being a Nikon on Nikon thing, but still using old glass isn't "mainstream".

It looks like the background leaf is the sharpest part of the image, rather than the center of the main leaf. Not sure if that was by design, missed focus or processing that rendered it to seem as such.

Diggin' the leading lines to the center ... but once I get there, my eye drifts over to the background leaf and the edge between the two leaves. Maybe you want to reduce the contrast/sharpness in those areas a touch, so they don't compete with where the lines lead you. Just kinda depends on where you are trying to "draw the eye".

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old glass play

RustyBug wrote:
Diggin' the alt glass ... which I guess isn't really alt being a Nikon on Nikon thing, but still using old glass isn't "mainstream".

It looks like the background leaf is the sharpest part of the image, rather than the center of the main leaf. Not sure if that was by design, missed focus or processing that rendered it to seem as such.

Diggin' the leading lines to the center ... but once I get there, my eye drifts over to the background leaf and the edge between the two leaves. Maybe you want to reduce the contrast/sharpness in those areas a
...Show more

Thanks Kent,

Looking back, the sharpness - you are correct - is an artifact ot the corp trying to position the intersection of one vein at the LRHC retaining the ROT positioning.

BTW - have you ever noticed when trying to do macro/extreme close-up work you immediately spawn a subtle, previously non-existent, breeze?

Bob

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old glass play

Breeze ... nope, never. Gale force furry of molecular turmoil ... always.

I think if everyone took macro shots of windmills/wind turbines ... energy crisis would be immediately solved.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old glass play

How about some post processing tweaks?

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:29 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old glass play

AuntiPode wrote:
How about some post processing tweaks?

Thanks!

I really like the color re-work. I'll attempt to take the BW in another direction.

Regards,

Bob

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old glass play

I like Karen's color rework.
Overall, a bit too soft for my taste.
Scott

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old glass play

sbeme wrote:
I like Karen's color rework.
Overall, a bit too soft for my taste.
Scott

Agreed, missed the mark on focus. The actual leaf must measure at least 6 inches across and the plant grows quite rapidly. Like bamboo and kudzu - just as prolific so containment can be an issue.

The color in her rework is much closer to reality.

Regards,

Bob

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:04 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.