FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How to Achieve this?

iso6400

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to Achieve this?

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled on the website below and there's just something about every image that drags you into the shot, like you're actually there. I can't really explain it. I'm wondering if anyone has seen work like this before?

http://www.pavel.com.au/

Thanks

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:21 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to Achieve this?

You have to try to explain.
From what I've seen ot his www, that guy is a good wedding photographer (nothing wrong with that- I hope I am one too). Nothing really extraordinary there, not many pics with a WOW factor for me.
Are you regular on this forum? There's many talented photographers here you know- much, much better than Pavel or me

Unless this post is a part of SEO strategy...

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:54 AM
iso6400

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to Achieve this?

Thanks for the feedback and certainly this is not an seo strategy as I have nothing to gain from promoting competition, though I do appreciate the style and finish he offers. Still something about these images has a certain feel of pulling the viewer into the frame and it bugs me that I can't describe it further.

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:07 AM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to Achieve this?

small DOF?

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:14 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to Achieve this?

Ok work. The site is bad.

The color is pretty good.

To be honest i'm not seeing anything that you are trying to describe.

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:18 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to Achieve this?

A long lens. Like 70-200 f2.8, 135mm f2, or 200mm f2. He makes full use of that shallow depth of field.

Clean backgrounds. Possibly scouts locations beforehand. Most venues have some sort of "picturesque" area. He likely does some cloning to cleaning it up further.

Good exposure, a touch on the bright side. But that's all personal preference and style. He seems like his colors rich with moderate contrast.

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:07 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to Achieve this?

Basic photography 101. Lines, rules of thirds, composition, etc..

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to Achieve this?

amonline wrote:
Basic photography 101. Lines, rules of thirds, composition, etc..

+1. You seem to be "drawn" to usage of focus points on the far right 3rd. Most people are, considering it's how we read. Get yourself a focus grid and start aiming for compositions that reflect it.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to Achieve this?

I mean the images are OK .. but I am not drawn into anything other than the fact that he is pretty good at composition.
You can achieve that by just thinking about where the third is and then using things to lead the eye to the subject which is on the third or occasionally in the center.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM
SparkleDogtoo

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to Achieve this?

Have to agree on the website. Those fonts are ... not good. Solid work.

I think the thing that draws me in to this image isn't so much the photography stuff as it is the couple. The moment is really nice. They look happy and natural and the dress is pretty and whatnot. And that comes down to having awesome clients. Which is harder to control than light sometimes.

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:17 PM
iso6400

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to Achieve this?

Thanks everyone, its probably good use of composition like you have mentioned and agree that the couples and moment in each image works.

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:25 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to Achieve this?

I think there are two things that may be influencing your perception.

One was already mentioned and it's a predilection for placing the subjects in the right 1/3 of the frame... I always noticed that subject isolated to right is more effective than subject isolated to left... never thought that it had something to do with how we read but it makes sense.

The other aspect that I see in many of the images (not all) is the use of OOF FG elements. This creates a 3 stage scenario where you have an OOF Foreground, a Focused subject and an OOF background. Whenever possible if I have a choice between having an oof FG or not I go for having it as I am also drawn to that kind of image... and I feel, like you, that it puts you more *in the scene*

Some would argue that to a degree it *puts you in the scene* in a voyeuristic way, And that's made more so by the long focal lenght.. it's almost like a stolen paparazzi shot, if better composed, lit, exposed etc.

Solid work either way.

Ciao!

Alessandro

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:08 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to Achieve this?

Does the kind of neutral gray background help to popup the images

I quite like the Site itself, simple and straight to the point which is watching good photos and get the
contact information to hire the guy !!!

Jaime

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM
iso6400

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to Achieve this?

Hi Alessandro,

Tend to agree, leading in using the foreground is a great way to draw the viewer into the frame.

Edited on Sep 24, 2012 at 07:18 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:16 PM
iso6400

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to Achieve this?

Hey Jaime,

You're right, the images seem to reduce the saturation of the background and really increase contrast of the subject in the frame.

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to Achieve this?

Good composition and use of foreground elements to create a layered image. Roberto V just covered a lot of this stuff in his recent workshop on creativeLIVE.com. But at the end of the day reading up on composition and framing techniques, AND deliberate practice, should get you there.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:10 PM
iso6400

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to Achieve this?

Hi Inga,

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be kind enough to direct me to Roberto V's website and blog so I can check out his work and education that may be on offer?

Thanks

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:56 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.