Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Mikael B

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Hi,

This is my first post here although I have been reading the forum for maybe 4 years =). Wanted to have advice from the great people here.

I currently have 20D, 30D and 1D2 which I'm currently selling. I thought that I don't anymore need several cameras, but would be ok with just one. 1D2 has been the camera I've been using for past 2 years. When selling some of my gear I will end up with a budget of around 1k. With that budget I could be getting following FF or APS-H bodies: 5D2, 1Ds2 or 1D3. Now the question would be, what would be the "best" upgrade from 1D2.

When I bought 1D2 I was doing some occasional birding, but I think my preference has shifted now a bit more towards kids (have girl just over 1 year). I do like to shoot some macro, again occasional birding, now kids, some landscape... basically a bit of everything =). What do you think would be the best upgrade for this type of shooting from 1D2? I have 17-40L, 50 1.8, 100L and 70-300L. I think most of the prints would be 4x6 and few rare would go as A4 size.

The way I see it:

1D3: Performance wise it is better than 1D2 in every aspect and adds live view, MA, sensor cleaning, new menu system, silent shutter and sensor cleaning.

1Ds2: FPS reduced to 5 FPS (not a deal breaker in my opinion), but adds more MP, bigger VF and FF. Maybe small enchancement in ISO from 1D2? Maybe a small advantage on having a bit higher count 1Ds2 would be possibility to exchange 17-40L to 24-70L and still keep within the budget.

5D2: FF, more MP, screen, MA, live view, sensor cleaning, a lot better ISO. But would maybe need to by vertical grip, has a lot less AF points (does everyone shoot "focus and recompose on 5D2?), less FPS and ofcourse not as good AF as 1D2.

If there is anyone who has made an upgrade from 1D2/1D2n to any of the above, could you share your experiences? And would shooting the kids on 5D2 be basically chasing them with center AF point only and doing the "focus and recompose"? And anyone owning a 1D series camera as only camera and shooting with it also during vacation time? Don't see the weight as the issue for myself here as I'm used to 1D2 already =).

Thanks for feedback!

Mikael

Sep 23, 2012 at 08:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Hi Mikael,

Welcome to FM.

The 1DIII and 5DII also provide better battery life, especially the III.

Assuming that 4 fps is also OK for the 1DsII (the 1DsIII is 5 fps), then maybe you've already narrowed it down to a choice between the 5DII (also 4 fps) and 1DsII.

The only camera you've mentioned that I haven't owned is the 1DsII. I currently own the 1DX, 1DIV, and 5DII, with a 1DsIII in my 'for sale' box. If I had to select only one from your list, and I could have only one body, it would be the 1DsII.

Cheers, Jim

P.S. if you might want video, then the 5DII is still in contention.

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Mikael -- Welcome to posting on FM!

My thinking is similar to Jim's, but my advice would be for the 5D2. I have that model and the 1Ds2 as my top cameras, and there are a number of advantages to the 5D2, not the least of which is its probable longer service life at this date. Better LCD, better MP/IQ, video, LV, high ISO, etc. The 1D series is hard to beat for its feel, reliability, and bullet-proof design, but the edge goes to 5D2, IMO.

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Mikael B

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Thank you for wishes and replies =).

I think that all of the cameras would be nice and I think that in my mind of the competition is between 1D3 and 5D2. I think that my biggest "issue" with 5D2 is the fear of AF... I am scared that I would need to start using only the center point in my photos and go back to "focus and recompose". I think for static subjects it might work, but my worry is how would the 5D2 focus work with kids.

For example, if kids are moving around and I would like to have face focused
- would I need to take wider shot, focus on face and crop to desired image later?
- would I be able to have enough dof for face if I would shoot somewhere around mid-body?
- or could I trust the outer focus points to "do the job"?

With 1D2 I use those outer focus points a lot and that is why I am thinking if 1D3 would give advantage of utilizing them too in my shooting. And the superb battery life is great feature as mentioned by Jim =). Video is not something I "need" as I have separate video camera for it.

Mikael

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:37 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Have you considered a 7d? It has all the new features and a great AF system.

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Mikael B

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

I have thought it a bit, but I think I don't want to go to 1.6 crop anymore. I've had the 20D and 30D, but I do prefer the APS-H against APS-C with my current lenses. Thus, 7D is not intresting though it could fit the budget.

My mind is somehow telling me all the time: take 1D3!! But if AF on 5D2 would be ok, then I think I might go that way... =)

Mikael

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

1DMK2 to 1DMK3 .. absolutely.

1DsMK2 to 5DMK2? Not unless you really need what 5DMK2 has. If you cant live without LV, quite basic video and 21 mpix, then ok. Tho I would probably rather buy some Panasonic m4/3 for LV and video.

And difference between 16 mpix and 21 mpix isnt really that much.

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:23 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

AF of the 5D2 isn't much different than your 30D, the 40D or 50D, center point and recompose. I've rented the 5Dc and 5D2, haven't noticed much difference with any of these bodies except the center point is somewhat better in later bodies. The 7D, 5D3 or the 1D bodies are your best AF bet.

I've seen 1D3s in the B&S forum for around $1500...seems a nice bit of kit!

With that said I shoot with the 40/50D croppers and I'm using their AF just fine; I don't shoot much action!
Next year, if the reviews are positive, a 6D will be my entry into FF, otherwise it's the 5D3...
Jerry

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:26 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Sounds like you already made your decision. Get your new 1d3

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:42 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

I switched to 1D series cameras from a 30D because I was totally finished with less than the best AF when I got kids. I have used several iterations from 1DmkII, 1DsmkII, 1DmkIII and 1DsmkIII. In the meantime I tried the 5D and 5DmkII several times but I could not live with their AF systems anymore. If you have kids you want fast AF. There is nothing more demanding for the AF than kids. This may sound too strong, because many believe kids is not as fast action as many sports photography, but the point is lots of photos of kids are shot in the 1-5 meter zone, which is much more demanding for AF than a sports subject at 20 meter or more. I have often felt "over-geared" when I had to justify the use of a 1DsmkII for the use of family photography, especially to my wife. But looking back, the most precious photos to me and my family are the pictures of my kids, more than landscapes, architecture, nature and wildlife photos and other subjects that I like. I have no regrets from my choice for the 1D series for my family photography. So it's clear, I recommend to not go the 5DmkII route, unless video or another feature is very important to you.

And then between the 1DmkIII or 1DsmkII? Well my choice has become full frame, for the image quality. And I find the 1Ds-es still fast enough for the sports of my kids. The accuracy of the AF of the 1DsmkII seems to be a tad better, the 1DmkIII has a reputation for some reasons. Today I shoot 1DsmkIII cameras. But I still have a 1DsmkII in the bag, and though colour rendering is a little different and the processing headroom is lower than the 14bit 22mp 1DsmkIII, I still don't see a big difference in image quality. The 1DsmkII is that good! The 1DmkIII gives a better high ISO performance, if that is important for you and like the 1.3 crop (you know that from your current 1DmkII) than the 1DmkIII is a good choice too, but you already guessed my advise and the top of EOSfun would be an 1DsmkII. Still a really great alround full frame camera.

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Okay, now I understand what an important emphasis "kids photography" is to you.

I agree with your choice, and also Mr. Eosfun. You won't go wrong with either the 1D3 or 1Ds2 at about the same price.

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:18 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

eosfun wrote:
I switched to 1D series cameras from a 30D because I was totally finished with less than the best AF when I got kids. I have used several iterations from 1DmkII, 1DsmkII, 1DmkIII and 1DsmkIII. In the meantime I tried the 5D and 5DmkII several times but I could not live with their AF systems anymore. If you have kids you want fast AF. There is nothing more demanding for the AF than kids. This may sound too strong, because many believe kids is not as fast action as many sports photography, but the point is lots of photos of
...Show more

+1, Today 1Ds2 is still the best budget performer - beside exmor sensor, i would not trade it for anything out there in low iso application. IQ and AF are always there to support your need.

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:29 PM
Mikael B

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Thanks for so many replies =).

Based on these inputs I have more and more feeling that I don't want and shouldn't be going away from 1D-series. I remember it was huge jump from 30D to 1D2 and took quite a while to get used to all the functions the camera has to offer. But it's funny how can holding a camera in your hands be such a joy... the 1D2 just feels so good when shooting that I guess it's hard to go back from there. Also the balance with L-lenses feels very good with 1D-series and to be honest, I don't find the weight of 1D2 + 70-300L to be problem at all.

I haven't yet compared the 1Ds2 and 1D3 head-to-head, but maybe I'll go in coming weeks to my local dealer who has both second hand models on sale and see which one I would prefer.

Mikael

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:00 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

1ds2 vs 1d4: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=36356137

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:18 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

I have 1d2 and 1d3.. sold 5d2 after purchasing used 1d3 for it's feel, custom functions, and it's reliability.
I now have 5d3 and thinking about returning it just to pick up 1Ds3. which ever route you take, you'll love all above mentioned bodies. good luck.

/r
Andy

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Joe Warren
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Hi Mikael and welcome to the forum.

I have owned several Canon cameras (Rebel, 20D, 1D, 1DII, 5D, 5DII and 1DIII). I have sold all of them except the 1DIII, which more than meets my photography needs. Having own the 1DII you know there is something special about holding a 1D camera and the ability to shoot any type of still or action shot is unmatched by the 5D series excluding the new 5DIII.

The 1DIII has some really nice enhancements over the 1DII such as battery life (incredible), auto sensor cleaning, live view, and improved menu operation.

Good luck with your choice.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:30 PM
Mikael B

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

It's nice to hear all the positive feedback on 1D3. I remember hearing all the AF issues with 1D3 after its release, but to my understanding all the problems with its AF should be now fixed.

By the way, I'm not sure if the 1D3's that I've been checking out have those few common 1D3 issues fixed under warranty or not yet. Do you know if Canon should check all the 1D3's which fall under the certain serial number to confirm that they work fine or do they expect me to provide some photo series which confirms the AF problems before taking it for repair? My feeling is that if 1D3 still has firmware 1.1.0 is not likely to have all the fixes done for fixing the AF issues (might be wrong on this though).

And if I would check the AF issues for 1D3 would for example shooting a car that is moving towards me with 10 FPS be able to show possible errors or not? Or is there some better target available. My kid is only just over 1 years so can't instruct her to run towards me yet =).

Mikael

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Mikael B

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Hi all,

It's been almost 3 weeks since my last post on this topic, but wanted to do a small recap to this topic now that I made my choice .

I had some difficulties in selling the 1D2 and during that time I ended up thinking from scratch my requirements for the following years. I compared the specs countless times on different sites between 1D3, 1Ds2 and 5D2. I then came across POTN forum with people showing off their pictures with their cameras. I quickly noticed the following:
- 1D3: It was mostly airplanes, motorspots, birds and other action photography with occasional portraits or landscapes
- 1Ds2: A lot more still-type of photography, portraits and some occasional sports, but typically they were day-time photos or with a tripod
- 5D2: Most of the photos were quite similiar type as 1Ds2, but I did notice that there were more shots taken in bad lightning conditions than 1Ds2 (I expected this to bue due to better ISO on 5D2)

So, after taking a look at all the brialliant photos on POTN, FM, DPR, etc I actually started to have feeling that 5D2 might be the best of both worlds as people seemed to be able to use it in all the situations I would use it .

So, after giving it a try I noticed that AF wasn't as good as 1D2, but I was impressed by its other capabilities (screen, VF, small size, LV, etc). In a darker room I didn't have that much issues for example shooting with center point or just manual. The ISO 12800 also came quite handy in the darker nights here in Finland and actually didn't look bad at all to me. I also liked the fact that my lenses seemed to be more useful on FF than on APS-H. So, some days later, the 1D2 made finally the room in my camera bag for 5D2 and now I'm just very very happy owner of 5D2. If it wasn't for the finance reasons, I might have even kept the 1D2 but still... very very happy with the switch to 5D2 .

Thanks for all you providing feedback on this subject!

Mikael

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:45 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

Excellent choice, Mikael! It is too bad you couldn't have kept your 1D2 as well. I can't believe how little they are selling for now. I sold one a few months ago in very good condition with new shutter for $465 with two batteries and charger! I kept my other 1D2 that has less than 8k actuations and in beautiful shape -- I can't part with it for what it would bring. It can always be my back-up's back-up!

Have fun with your new 5D2.

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:05 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jumping from 1D2 to 1D3, 1Ds2 or 5D2?

For photographing kids and other action subjects, I recommend the 5D3.

Low light performance and video make it ideal for shooting kids.

I have owned 7D, 5D2, and 1D4. The AF of the 5D3 is dramatically superior

to that of the aformentioned cameras. 1D3 is excellent but not

as good AF as 5D3 and no video. As father of two girls (now grown)

I can assure you will appreciate the video capacity and AF of the

5D3. Video is great for travelling abroad--taping folklore performances

for example.

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password