Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

The op's shot looks like this dude's. It's uncanny.

Best of Sept Nickmacarthy.

At least TomHarmon added some variation.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.3 #2 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Yes, you should definitely put your own twist on it. For example, you could have the bride holding some colorful flowers, then double boost the saturation of them while making everything else black and white.

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:04 PM
larhouser
• •
p.3 #3 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

^^^
Bearmann

Thats SUCH a cool idea! Maybe red roses, yep defiantly red!

Thanks for the lawl

Oct 06, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.3 #4 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Go and visit the sites of all of those telling you to put your own spin on the shot and then see how many photos you can spot across all of their web sites that have some unique spin on it. Good luck finding more than three images.

I'm not saying it is a bad tip but it's being served up by those who do not follow the advice themselves.

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Hardcore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Here's mine

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:18 AM
the_rebel
• • •
p.3 #6 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

just because it's the same technique doesn't mean the shot is being copied.
I've seen Jerry Ghionis do this type of shot before on a few occasions, would that mean he's copying Tony as well?

These types of shots have been around for quite a while, and they're very easy to screw up if you don't know what you're doing. So variations in poses are always encouraged, but ultimately because of the technical aspect of the image, they will almost always look the same regardless of who took them or where.

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:08 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #7 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

someone stealing Tony's photo here?!?

http://weheartit.com/entry/39531085

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

That's more like "pinteresting" it.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM
NYstyles
• •
p.3 #9 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Come on now.. do you think Tony is the only one who has done this shot Ive seen this kind of picture many times and it wasnt a Tony who shot it...

Someone probably took this same shot before Tony was born.. (I have no idea who Tony is)

Nothing is original, its all been done before with 20 different twists.. Much of it was done before you were born or even picked up your first camera..

Certainly Not condoning copying in anyway.. Im just sayin'... there are those before us who did it and they'll be those after us who do it..

The couple will love it OP.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

NY, this was dredged up from last year.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.3 #11 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Holy dead thread resurrection, Batman!!

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.3 #12 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

larhouser wrote:
Copying other artists is one of the best ways to learn. Anyone out there play a musical instrument? Once you learn the scales, where to put your hands etc you go straight into playing other peoples songs. Once you have that down you can start writing your own music.

So - now that you've got this technique down, time to put your own twist on it! Looking forward to it!

Great analogy and advice!

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:19 AM
NYstyles
• •
p.3 #13 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Ha,didnt even notice it was so old! lol

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:23 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

NYstyles wrote:
Come on now.. do you think Tony is the only one who has done this shot Ive seen this kind of picture many times and it wasnt a Tony who shot it...

Someone probably took this same shot before Tony was born.. (I have no idea who Tony is)

Nothing is original, its all been done before with 20 different twists.. Much of it was done before you were born or even picked up your first camera..

Certainly Not condoning copying in anyway.. Im just sayin'... there are those before us who did it and they'll be those after us who do it..

The
...Show more

With all due respect, I don't think anyone ever said that I was the only one who's taken that shot (this thread is evidence of that). I don't think anyone (myself included) has ever claimed that we invented backlighting rain either. It's an incredibly easy technique after all. Despite my better judgement, I still use it when in a pinch.

Over the past 4 years since I took the shot that became somewhat popular, I've seen literally hundreds if not thousands of versions. You might think that seems exaggerated, but I've honestly been getting emailed several times every week for the past 4 years with people wondering if X shot was a ripoff or if I got credit for X. It even appeared in a music video without my permission. It truly has been a strange roller coaster of emotions with the results of taking that photo; some pride, some reward, some jealousy, some anger.

So, while I don't appreciate the accusatory tone of your post, I'll gladly acknowledge that there are tons of similar photos out there and that the technique started the first time someone photographed rain by a streetlamp... But if someone finds a decent shot of a backlit/rain/umbrella couple taken before 2008, I'd be surprised

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:45 PM
tmiller
• • • •
p.3 #15 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

friscoron wrote:
I guess what really puts me off about this is the "people" comment. Okay, maybe it'd be beneath them, but if Doug or Chuck or Spencer posted this shot, would they be called out on it? There would be jokes about Chuck being a Tony protege, or something to that effect. But I'm not part of the in crowd here, so I'm a "people" and I shouldn't be posting a copycat image.

But really then, if you think about it, aren't we doing the same thing over and over and over again when you guys post your wedding series?

Mike, I
...Show more

Just wanna put this out there, Chuck and Spencer and Sam and many others don't copy Tony. They might be inspired in other ways, but I've not really seen a "statement" shot like this from them all. They all specialize and rock it out in their own unique way.

Good shot btw, but I'd like to see it punch up a lil with the processing. It's a little too safe, needs more drama.

-tmiller

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:32 PM
NYstyles
• •
p.3 #16 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Tony Hoffer wrote:
With all due respect, I don't think anyone ever said that I was the only one who's taken that shot (this thread is evidence of that). I don't think anyone (myself included) has ever claimed that we invented backlighting rain either. It's an incredibly easy technique after all. Despite my better judgement, I still use it when in a pinch.

Over the past 4 years since I took the shot that became somewhat popular, I've seen literally hundreds if not thousands of versions. You might think that seems exaggerated, but I've honestly been getting emailed several times every week for
...Show more

I wasnt accusing anyone of anything. I dont even know who you are, your work, or the OP. My post had nothing to actually do with you. I guess I could of worded it differently? I didnt mean for it to sound accusatory towards you in anyway. My point was its all been done before with different twists. It will be done long after. Be it an umbrella or a street light. I said this based on some comments in the thread thats all.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:26 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.3 #17 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Hardcore wrote:
Here's mine

This is quite nice!

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:44 PM
flyincat

p.3 #18 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Nice!

And I'm sure your clients will love it. Isn't that what really matters?

One technical nit: Perhaps you could work on your cloning. There is a group of 7 or 8 raindrops in almost a straight line on the left hand side that is obviously repeated on that same side. The same group is flipped and repeated on the right hand side. This is the kind of thing that - at least for me - is all you see once you first notice it.
There are also other such noticable raindrop patterns from cloning.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:00 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

tmiller wrote:
Just wanna put this out there, Chuck and Spencer and Sam and many others don't copy Tony. They might be inspired in other ways, but I've not really seen a "statement" shot like this from them all. They all specialize and rock it out in their own unique way.

Good shot btw, but I'd like to see it punch up a lil with the processing. It's a little too safe, needs more drama.
-tmiller

A lot of ppl have understood that I'm just practicing a technique of a shot that I admired by Tony. When I posted my first attempt of a shot, someone chided me for not crediting Tony, so I wrote the subject title with a bit of a sense of humor -- although, the truth is, it really was inspired by that shot by Tony.

But I'm not Chuck or Spencer or Sam. I'm me. I'm not less than them, and I'm not more than them. I'm just me. I have my own style that continues to develop and change over the years. I like to try new shots, experiment, and it seems this is a good place to post for feedback. Until you get ripped for being a copycat and not having an imagination or your own style. I happen to really like this style of a shot, whether it's raininig or not, and many of my clients request. If I'm going to shoot this, like any other shot, I want to perfect it as much as I can, and that's why I like feedback. Feedback on my technique, not on whether I'm simply copying someone. But if I was going to copy someone on this board, it'd surely be Tony.

I do appreciate the many comments complimenting me on the shot and giving advice on how to improve it.

I really thought this thread died...

Ron

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

NYstyles wrote:
I wasnt accusing anyone of anything. I dont even know who you are, your work, or the OP. My post had nothing to actually do with you. I guess I could of worded it differently? I didnt mean for it to sound accusatory towards you in anyway. My point was its all been done before with different twists. It will be done long after. Be it an umbrella or a street light. I said this based on some comments in the thread thats all.

No problem. Thanks for clarifying. It's clear a sensitive artist with a fragile psyche

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:29 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password