Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

larhouser
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Copying other artists is one of the best ways to learn. Anyone out there play a musical instrument? Once you learn the scales, where to put your hands etc you go straight into playing other peoples songs. Once you have that down you can start writing your own music.

So - now that you've got this technique down, time to put your own twist on it! Looking forward to it!

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:04 PM
nguyencs
• •
p.2 #2 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

I would love to see Tony's image. First time I'm hearing about it. I just did this umbrella shot last night. They loved it.

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:08 PM
Sahid Limon
• • • •
p.2 #3 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

I think a lot of people have copied this shot. Hell, I did it just on my last e-session when it went from a cloudy overcast day to tsunami style rain (to the point where the session had to be cancelled). I think what Mike and some of the others are saying is that copying an idea or concept it ok, but it's not cool to copy a shot exactly as it was shot, and then taking credit for it. I've seen that happen with some of the shots by not only Tony, but Sam, Jeremy, and others from various other photographers who lurk here. That's like using tracing paper and taking credit for drawing something cool. The key is to have those be inspirations or a guide, and not replicate the image to the T.

I don't think this shot in particular qualifies as copying Tony's image, so I think it's fine, and a great image.

Edited on Sep 23, 2012 at 07:47 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:59 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

larhouser wrote:
Copying other artists is one of the best ways to learn. Anyone out there play a musical instrument? Once you learn the scales, where to put your hands etc you go straight into playing other peoples songs. Once you have that down you can start writing your own music.

So - now that you've got this technique down, time to put your own twist on it! Looking forward to it!

Yeah, I'd completely agree with this.

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #5 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

WNStudio wrote:
This is just an example. Don't wanna argue over it. That works for me, and I think you can add extra value to a photo, by something that simple like placing a single flash behind your object. Another example:
http://www.wnstudio.com.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/41.jpg

Yeah, I like these a lot. It's still about your couple, not the flash. The other shot just seems like a gratuitous, gimmicky use of flash. Of course I'm not above gimmicky either... so carry on. It's all subjective anyways.

Sep 24, 2012 at 02:33 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #6 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Where's the kissing one ?

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Great shot. I haven't done anything like this.

I don't care if it's copying Hoffer. His client will think he's a freakin photography wizard delivering shots like this.

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:30 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.2 #8 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

friscoron wrote:
I guess what really puts me off about this is the "people" comment. Okay, maybe it'd be beneath them, but if Doug or Chuck or Spencer posted this shot, would they be called out on it? There would be jokes about Chuck being a Tony protege, or something to that effect. But I'm not part of the in crowd here, so I'm a "people" and I shouldn't be posting a copycat image.

But really then, if you think about it, aren't we doing the same thing over and over and over again when you guys post your wedding series?

Mike, I
...Show more

You said it yourself, "maybe it'd be beneath them...". I would never call out Doug or Chuck or Spencer because I wouldn't ever have to - they would all look for their own twist to it, and that's what makes them such great photographers. If you point out a "copyshot" of theirs I'd more than happily slap their avatars around. I haven't seen one out any of them yet.

Even so, I should probably clarify.

There is nothing wrong with copying shots, particularly when you give credit where credit is due (like here). There's nothing new under the sun. Originality is just past successes pieced together. We're all boneheads who can't come up with our own crap. Pick your phrase, but we all "copy" different elements of what we've seen to create our shots - I probably do so more often than most.

I think you're misunderstanding my resentment towards this shot as a defense of Tony - it's not. The reason I don't like this shot is because it's so well executed. You managed to pull off a very, very well executed version of someone else's shot. That's good and all, but you could be GREAT if you put this into your own vision. I feel like you're limiting your potential by stopping at Tony's shot.

My (ideal) scenario looks like this: Snap. Chimp LCD screen like the noob I am. "Chyea boy! Nailed that shot of Tony's! Now what can I add/subtract/change to make it mine? How does this fit into my vision as Mike Villa Visuals?" Add said change. Butcher shot. Curse. Tweak a few more times. Make killer shot that doesn't look as great as Tony's but is now in line with my photographic style.

I hope that explains it a bit more. Sorry to be so feisty, it's just getting towards the end of the season and I'm all burnt out and anti-wedding industry at the moment. Which of course, is a problem if I'm going to be pursuing wedding photography forums.

Ok. Rollout. Have a nice night.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:35 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #9 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

On a related note, how do you guys protect your flashes/camera in the rain?

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:00 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

FM photogs will cry bloody murder, clients will most likely love it. At this point, Tony's version of this shot has so many copies and spinoffs that it would be easy for a photographer to do this shot without ever seeing the "original".

That being said.....who cares if it's been done before? As long is it's not a blatant ripoff of the lighting AND Tony's pose (which IMO is key to Tony's shot) I don't see what the big deal is. Besides the rain and the lighting (which is done really well btw) I really don't see much else in this particular shot. Composition and interaction are somewhat lacking. Taking a shot in the rain and backlighting it doesn't necessarily make it a great shot. It takes way more than that...

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Manzelle
• •
p.2 #11 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Nice shot. My only problem, and it has nothing to do with the shot, is that she should have steamed her dress. I mean, come on...

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

maxwell1295 wrote:
FM photogs will cry bloody murder, clients will most likely love it. At this point, Tony's version of this shot has so many copies and spinoffs that it would be easy for a photographer to do this shot without ever seeing the "original".

That being said.....who cares if it's been done before? As long is it's not a blatant ripoff of the lighting AND Tony's pose (which IMO is key to Tony's shot) I don't see what the big deal is. Besides the rain and the lighting (which is done really well btw) I really don't see much else in
...Show more

well said.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM
TomHarmon
• • •
p.2 #13 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

Here's my take on it. Did this one last weekend and it rained right as we were trying to do couples shots, so there was literally no where to go but this area. People seem to love it, even though its been done before.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

TomHarmon wrote:
Here's my take on it. Did this one last weekend and it rained right as we were trying to do couples shots, so there was literally no where to go but this area. People seem to love it, even though its been done before.
http://www.tdhphotosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/FM001-4.jpg

now that is a nicely composed shot.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:02 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.2 #15 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

TomHarmon wrote:
Here's my take on it.

I can't get past that great looking stack of firewood! Looking forward to fireplace weather.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:41 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

mikethevilla wrote:
There is nothing wrong with copying shots, particularly when you give credit where credit is due (like here). There's nothing new under the sun. Originality is just past successes pieced together. We're all boneheads who can't come up with our own crap. Pick your phrase, but we all "copy" different elements of what we've seen to create our shots - I probably do so more often than most.
I think you're misunderstanding my resentment towards this shot as a defense of Tony - it's not. The reason I don't like this shot is because it's so well executed. You managed to
...Show more

Okay, Mike, your clarification makes sense to me and I'm glad you took the time to do that. I wasn't really making any effort to copy Tony's pose, I couldn't even tell you know what pose he used for this shot. I liked this as a tender moment between them, natural. It's a shot I took before I put them together, and I liked the natural vibe better.

I agree that I still need to give it a look that is purely RMP. But for me, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Thanks again.
Ron

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

ricardovaste wrote:
On a related note, how do you guys protect your flashes/camera in the rain?

Gallon-sized plastic bag with rubber band. Works like a charm.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.2 #18 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

BS.. this is not Hoffer... Hoffer has purple, blue, or red koolaid sprinkling down. NOT regular rain!

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:59 PM
tntcorp
• •
p.2 #19 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

great shot irregardless of any critical comments in referenced to "tony"

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. no respect, but i don't know who tony hoffer is, of his dissertation, or artwork. but if his idea was what inspired you for the image, then go for it!

however, for as long as photography has been around, when we see an artwork that has never been seen before, you can bet it's really only a twist on an obscure idea or technique which has been used before by someone else.

after all, it is the technique you are mastering to keep in your tool chest for future uses.

good luck!

Sep 24, 2012 at 02:15 PM
charlandk
• •
p.2 #20 · This photo was NOT inspired by Tony Hoffer

do you mind if i ask where you light placement was in relation to the couple. I would love to replicate this shot with my girl friend and son. your camera setting would be great also. I know I will not get a chance to do too may exposures since my gf is a wimp and hates the rain.

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:41 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password