Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              16       17       end

Archive 2012 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

jctriguy wrote:
Please let it come so you can have a thread showing how you were the single person who predicted this camera coming. Then we can all go back to our regular lives

And that post on CR is listed CR1, meaning it could just be a random guy on the internet sending in some info for fun...was it you maybe??

No, unfortunately I don't have this detailed knowledge about this possible camera. I still think it is some exciting news since it might be the best innovative camera sensor-wise we can expect from Canon this year. We all don't know any of its specs yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the 5D III AF capability and better DR than the 5D II/5D III sensor. For now it is speculation, and we need to wait.

Regarding what you said about my prediction of such camera - I mentioned it because I was hammered by all kind of fanboys here on FM after the 5D III was released. I said that Canon still has to come up with something similar to the D800. Most of them are silent now or even changed their point of view in commentaries.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:06 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
So, the reason I need "46MP" is...

You probably don't "need" more than 22MP. However, I don't think that your "needs" define the capabilities of cameras any more than my needs do. We could equally observe that some don't "need" burst mode, live view, movie capability or any number of other things.

But if some do, it begins to make sense to include them.

Take care,

Dan

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

More megapickles? Great news, but I won't be celebrating before I see evidence of a significant bump in low ISO DR.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:11 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

At 46mp, I'd like to see Canon place emphasis on max IQ and less on bells an whistles. I'd like to see a small form weather-sealed body centered around a low frame rate high DR sensor. I'd like native 25 ISO, max 3200, 16 bit color. AF can be 5D2, 6D or 7D level for all I care on this one. I'd like an articulating high res lcd. In other words a nice landscape camera.

I'm not holding my breath. lol

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

NCAndy wrote:
At 46mp, I'd like to see Canon place emphasis on max IQ and less on bells an whistles. I'd like to see a small form weather-sealed body centered around a low frame rate high DR sensor. I'd like native 25 ISO, max 3200, 16 bit color. AF can be 5D2, 6D or 7D level for all I care on this one. I'd like an articulating high res lcd. In other words a nice landscape camera.

+1

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:27 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

I have a marketing-related question.

Assume for the sake of argument that Canon is in a bit of bind. The D800 is not only a formidable competitor at a lowish price, it is also tending to freeze upgrade decisions for some photographers who don't even want one. (That includes me; the D800 shows what can happen, and Canon hasn't done it, so I'm sticking with Canon until they do it, but otherwise, not buying any new body Canon shows me.) And maybe Canon doesn't have current access to sensor technology to match the D800. That would be a marketing crisis for Canon.

One possible solution would be to pack 7D resolution onto full frame, and out-pixel Nikon. It sounds like this rumor could be based on that possibility. But how do you market a product like that? Given the choice between 7D image quality writ large, or D800 image quality at an identical price, which would you choose? I think I would take the D800, especially if Nikon fixed the live view. To me that looks like a risky gamble for Canon. If it failed, it could trigger a mass migration of people like me to Nikon.

Canon, I think, might choose to fuzz up the question. They could try to do that by making the new 46MP camera a full-featured high end competitor to the 1Dx—a 1Dxs—and pricing it accordingly. I doubt that is what Canon marketers were planning when they developed the 1Dx. And I think such a camera would risk being stigmatized as a proposed market leader that couldn't lead in the image quality department, or at least not do so with sufficient versatility. If the D800 were perceived as still setting the image quality standard, that would be a disaster for Canon too. They would have created a much more expensive camera that was outperformed in almost every meaningful way by its own sibling—except in the one way it was outperformed by a competitor. What a mess.

Bottom line. Canon faces a crisis if it can not come up with a sensor at least as good as the one in the D800, and a biggified 7D sensor probably can't fill the bill.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:32 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

alundeb wrote:
I am not trying to convince you that you need more, just saying that your clients expectations may be different in the future.

I hope you won't laugh in the face of your clients and say that 22 MP is plenty if they want high resolution images to play with.

Lol don't take it personally I just find it amusing when people try to convince me that I need more res

I hope my clients would trust me enough that, should something happen that I need more res, I'll deal with it. But I honestly don't see it..

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

Time for specialization. The 1DX is the ultimate Canon branded action camera. Now we need the ultimate Canon branded studio/landscape camera.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:54 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

gdanmitchell wrote:
You probably don't "need" more than 22MP. However, I don't think that your "needs" define the capabilities of cameras any more than my needs do. We could equally observe that some don't "need" burst mode, live view, movie capability or any number of other things.

But if some do, it begins to make sense to include them.

Take care,

Dan

Please read my posts. I've said all along these are *my* needs. What is happening is the other way round - others are saying that those of us who don't need more mp will soon change our minds and I'm saying, for me, I won't.

So you got it the wrong way - sorry.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:56 PM
artd
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

NCAndy wrote:

I'd add to this wish list dual card slots.

But forget about 16 bit, that's going to almost certainly be useless. 14 bit converters are plenty good for the current state of digital cameras. The only thing adding 2 more bits to the data pipeline would do is quantize random noise. In other words those 2 extra bits will not carry any additional information not already being carried via 14 bit converters. Not only that but they would make file sizes needlessly bigger. 16 bits would create a downside with no upside (unless you can claim marketing spin as an upside).

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

splathrop wrote:
Canon, I think, might choose to fuzz up the question. They could try to do that by making the new 46MP camera a full-featured high end competitor to the 1Dx—a 1Dxs—and pricing it accordingly. I doubt that is what Canon marketers were planning when they developed the 1Dx. And I think such a camera would risk being stigmatized as a proposed market leader that couldn't lead in the image quality department, or at least not do so with sufficient versatility. If the D800 were perceived as still setting the image quality standard, that would be a disaster for Canon too.
...Show more

It's an interesting point. However and I've said this another time, be careful to think that everyone reads loads of Internet forums - they don't. That said, I suspect a useful proportion of the target audience for this camera might.

Time will tell..

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:06 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

Don't get too high on yourself.... a lot of people probably already put you on their Hide Me list ...cuz your brain is hard like a brick. Trying to take credit which is not yours. As far as fanboys...don't use that word on somebody else when you are the worst fanboy..aka Canon apologist. DR doesn't mean anything to you huh MP is the most important huh ? .

retrofocus wrote:
No, unfortunately I don't have this detailed knowledge about this possible camera. I still think it is some exciting news since it might be the best innovative camera sensor-wise we can expect from Canon this year. We all don't know any of its specs yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the 5D III AF capability and better DR than the 5D II/5D III sensor. For now it is speculation, and we need to wait.

Regarding what you said about my prediction of such camera - I mentioned it because I was hammered by all kind of fanboys here
...Show more

Edited on Sep 25, 2012 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

I'd still way rather see them go 38MP and 6fps and better video than 46MP and 5fps and worse video. I mean, realistically, 38MP vs 46MP won't really matter all that much, a lot less noticeable than 5fps vs 6fps or top vs poorer video.

I fear they going MP crazy since they think if we go 10MP more, a whole TEN more, than D800 then perhaps DR won't matter and certainly we can then price it whatever we want, say $18,000 . Instead of focusing on what would make it a more all-around camera, part of the desire for MP is for more reach and when you want reach you often times would want better body response and more fps, once you are to 6fps you can at least live withit, even it it is not ideal. So giving it just a few less MP, which will be harder to spot anyway for landscape prints than frames an extra 1 fps apart difference and crop modes instead of silly sRAW/mRAW would make it a really cool all around camera instead of a specialized studio/landscape cam (at a perhaps higher price and lower sales).

I fear it will be designed on marketing instead of practical all-around photo concerns. (that said the 100% pure landscape or studio guy might the the 10MP more over my plan).

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:20 PM
artd
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
It's an interesting point. However and I've said this another time, be careful to think that everyone reads loads of Internet forums - they don't. That said, I suspect a useful proportion of the target audience for this camera might.

Time will tell..

Indeed, I think a large portion of people thinking about buying a $3000+ camera are likely to at least read some internet postings about cameras. Even if they don't read tons of post, even if they don't stop by sites like this one daily, they are still likely to at least stop in once or maybe twice to have a look at what people are saying about their potential camera choice.

But I think splathrop has hit on an important point. Some people may not yet be ready to jump over to Nikon, but if the D800 didn't have such an amazing sensor, I think more 5DII users such as myself wouldn't be sitting on the fence and waiting to see if Canon actually can respond with a competitve product. If Canon doesn't show some progession in sensor technology soon, things are going to not be that pretty for them.

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:33 PM
artd
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

skibum5 wrote:
I fear they going MP crazy since they think if we go 10MP more, a whole TEN more, than D800 then perhaps DR won't matter and certainly we can then price it whatever we want, say $18,000 . Instead of focusing on what would make it a more all-around camera, part of the desire for MP is for more reach and when you want reach you often times would want better body response and more fps, once you are to 6fps you can at least live withit, even it it is not ideal. So giving it just a few less
...Show more
Canon already makes a very good all-around camera. They don't need another. They need a studio/landscape camera. A purpose for which high fps is not needed. Realistically a high megapixel camera will primarily appeal to studio/landscape photogs most. Those who want an all around camera can get a 5D3. Those who want more "reach" are likely to be better served by crop sensor cameras.

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:41 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

artd wrote:
Canon already makes a very good all-around camera. They don't need another. They need a studio/landscape camera. A purpose for which high fps is not needed. Realistically a high megapixel camera will primarily appeal to studio/landscape photogs most. Those who want an all around camera can get a 5D3. Those who want more "reach" are likely to be better served by crop sensor cameras.

Yeah but the 5D3 reach is still quite low compared to a D800 or 7D or what not.

Will a studio person really notice 39MP vs 46MP

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:57 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

kewlcanon wrote:
Don't get too high on yourself.... a lot of people probably already put you on their Hide Me list ...cuz you're brain is hard like a brick. Trying to take credit which is not yours. As far as fanboys...don't use that word on somebody else when you are the worst fanboy..aka Canon apologist. DR doesn't mean anything to you huh MP is the most important huh ? .

Haha, kewlcanon, your staement made my day. Too funny! I don't care who puts me on a hide list or not. I certainly won't hide you - you are too amusing. At least looks like we both had a good laughter - what else do we want?

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

retrofocus wrote:
Canonrumors just posted that the new 3D with 46 MP sensor will be presented at PhotoPlus Expo in NY City in October. As I predicted, it is coming, we will see .

It might well be presented there, but when I see you going from "Canonrumors just posted ..." a recycled '3D' rumour to "As I predicted, it is coming", I have to ask:

Gullible much?

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

NCAndy wrote:

They could do it for a sub 5D3 price. Continuous mode could be 1 fps, or maybe have a mirror up live view 3 & 5 shot HDR mode where it makes 5 shots as quickly as it can. Don't need 6 fps for landscapes, architecture, products, macro, or portraits.

Big market: Portraits, architecture, interiors, industrial, landscapes, products, macro.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:17 PM
swoop
• • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · 46.1 MP Canon EOS-3D X To Be Announced Before PhotoPlus ?

Lies. No way Canon is bringing back Eye Control.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password