Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock res...

StarNut
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Hi,

My middle child (25 years old), an outdoors enthusiast, is looking for a little camera to take on her excursions that prevent her from taking her good camera.

She's a fairly knowledgeable photographer, and likes controlling her own exposure. She know something about image processing, and takes her DSLR photos in RAW format.

She has been unable to find a P&S that takes RAW photos, that has water/shock resistance.

I think an S95 wold be excellent, other than its lack of water/shock resistance. She is attracted to the Olympus "Tough" series, except for the lack of RAW format.

Is there a P&S, by any reputable maker, that is tough enough to stand up to kayaking/rock climbing/ice climbing, that has features like an S95 (and she'd really like a 5:1 optical zoom)?

Thanks.

Mark

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Canon's water proof (ish) D10 had a good write up. I know they replaced it a while back with the D20

Here's a group test http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/
But the D20 isn't in it .

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:38 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Does it have to be Canon? Fuji has some very nice water proof cameras.

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:41 PM
aagirlz

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

I don't like your chances of finding one that takes raw, I ended up buying the Nikon AW100 earlier this year although it is frustrating because it doesn't have a manual mode..... other than that it is a nice sturdy camera and takes a decent shot. I would be looking for one with manual mode but forget the raw.... just my 2c.

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:58 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Olympous has a new tough model out that looks very nice. I have a Panasonic TS4 that I like, but it won't shoot raw and has fairly limited controls.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

P&S cameras that shoot RAW lose many of the benefits that SLR cameras have by shooting RAW. The small sensor means you won't have much ability to recover shadows or highlights in the same way that you can from a SLR image. It more or less just makes up for settings that were not set properly at the moment of capture (WB, sharpening, etc). You'll find that P&S do a good job at making such decisions though. I had a Canon P&S that shot RAW, and I found that it's Jpegs were at least as good as the RAW in most situations. After a while, I gave up on RAW and just shot Jpeg.

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:25 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

The Olympus TG-1 seems, to me, to be one of the best.

The TS4 is very good on paper and on reviews, with great IQ to boot, but many panasonic owners (not just from the TS4 model) claim that water does get it.
There are way too many reports on this.

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StarNut
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Ben Horne wrote:
P&S cameras that shoot RAW lose many of the benefits that SLR cameras have by shooting RAW. The small sensor means you won't have much ability to recover shadows or highlights in the same way that you can from a SLR image. It more or less just makes up for settings that were not set properly at the moment of capture (WB, sharpening, etc). You'll find that P&S do a good job at making such decisions though. I had a Canon P&S that shot RAW, and I found that it's Jpegs were at least as good as the RAW
...Show more

I would completely agree with Ben. I have a great little S90 that I chose, in part, for the raw capabilities. I never use it in raw and really don't miss it. Those times when I have the results really weren't what I was hoping for. In the end I find a p&s with good manual controls to be far more effective.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:04 AM
davekone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

I think an S95 wold be excellent, other than its lack of water/shock resistance. She is attracted to the Olympus "Tough" series, except for the lack of RAW format.

A friend of mine is very tough on phones and cameras. She has an Olympus Tough series P&S and it has taken a beating. Still works, unlike the many cracked screens of her smart phones! lol

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

It doesn't shoot RAW, but how about this little Pentax P&S? I've got a soft spot for Pentax...that was about all I used in my film days starting with a K1000 and then finally the marvelous LX in the end. I've had a couple of the older Optio cameras and had great results. A passenger on on American Airlines got my last one

I'm planning on taking a look at one myself after reviewing the specs The WG2 comes as a unit with GPS or without.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_WG-2_GPS_Gloss_White#!product-highlights

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:59 AM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Canon's water proof (ish) D10 had a good write up. I know they replaced it a while back with the D20

Here's a group test http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/
But the D20 isn't in it .

I have a D10 that my wife and I have used for snorkling in Hawaii for multiple years...use it for an hour or so at a time, underwater in saltwater, and, knock on wood, it has worked great! As it's the only underwater camera I've used, I haven't been able to compare it's IQ to others, and that's pretty much all we use it for.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Of course there are those little video cameras that you can mount on things. Gopro? What about an ewa marine or other plastic housing? Zip lock bags arent tough but will keep water out. Floated an XT. Use at least 2 for more toughness. 10D's are cheap....

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:17 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Suggestions for P&S that's water resistant, shock resistant, etc.

Of course there are those little video cameras that you can mount on things. Gopro? What about an ewa marine or other plastic housing? Zip lock bags arent tough but will keep water out. Floated an XT. Use at least 2 for more toughness. 10D's and old Rebels are cheap....

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password