Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here
  
 
BananTarr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


Hi FM Forums,

I'm very new here... and it appears I won't last long. One of the ads your forums is displaying "AdChoices" is sending an advert that is getting picked up by my employer's proxy and blocked.

Unfortunately I can't say why exactly, but I'm somewhat disappointed because I don't run into this much at all on legit sites like this.

I'll check back in a few weeks, maybe the offending ad will be out of rotation.

Edit: removed a confusing typo

Edited on Sep 23, 2012 at 02:53 PM · View previous versions



Sep 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM
anthonysemone
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


And your point would be??


Sep 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Sarsfield
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


Get adblock plus and use firefox. i don't see ANY ads!


Sep 23, 2012 at 02:15 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


Ads are part of the business. However, the unfortunate part is that the paying subscribers have to see them too. On some pay sites you don't see all the external ads in that case.

EBH



Sep 23, 2012 at 03:51 AM
jcolwell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


BananTarr wrote:
... getting picked up by my employer's proxy and blocked.


Get used to it. It won't get any better in the future. Maybe you should visit FM when you're not at work.



Sep 23, 2012 at 05:30 AM
redcrown
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


While your message is vague, it implies that you are unable to see any of the content of this forum because your employer's censor software is blocking all traffic from fredmiranda.com once it sees any "offending" source contained therin. But if that is the case, how were you able to post your complaint?

Regardless, your problem is with the employer's censor and not with fredmiranda.com or it's choice of advertisers. It's likely the employer operates some commercial censor software that maintains a "blacklist". It's unlikely the employer has any control over that blacklist, yet such lists are usually full of false positives.

But if surfing this site is within your employer's permitted work activity, you could make a request that the advert causing you trouble be removed from the blacklist. The odds of success with that maybe low, but they are greater than trying to get Fred to modify his system to meet your sepcial needs.



Sep 23, 2012 at 06:10 AM
anthonysemone
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


Sarsfield wrote:
Get adblock plus and use firefox. i don't see ANY ads!



BINGO!! Works like a charm



Sep 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



BananTarr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


redcrown wrote:
While your message is vague, it implies that you are unable to see any of the content of this forum because your employer's censor software is blocking all traffic from fredmiranda.com once it sees any "offending" source contained therin. But if that is the case, how were you able to post your complaint?

So it's obvious I can see the forum, then. Glad we cleared that up; now we can have a real discussion.

redcrown wrote:
Regardless, your problem is with the employer's censor and not with fredmiranda.com or it's choice of advertisers. It's likely the employer operates some commercial censor software that maintains a "blacklist". It's unlikely the employer has any control over that blacklist, yet such lists are usually full of false positives.

Yes, because no site has ever chosen an advertiser that uses potentially shady business practices. Easy of you to jump right to the defense of FM, even though it's a legit possibility that FM may want to review the choice of advertising companies on the site.

It's possible the ad is generating a false positive. I don't know. I'm simply notifying the forum so they can look into it.

redcrown wrote:
But if surfing this site is within your employer's permitted work activity, you could make a request that the advert causing you trouble be removed from the blacklist. The odds of success with that maybe low, but they are greater than trying to get Fred to modify his system to meet your sepcial needs.

Again you make the assumption that there is no way Fred's choice of advertising company is the problem when in fact you cannot possibly be sure of this.

Regarding installing AdBlock... I don't think Fred would appreciate such a move, and probably prefers you guys who use it do not. I suppose I could support the site through a direct donation instead, and then use an Ad Blocker. That may be worth looking into.

But beside that, I don't think an Ad Blocker is going to prevent the proxy downstream from me from generating positives or false positives.



Sep 23, 2012 at 03:03 PM
BananTarr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


jcolwell wrote:
Get used to it. It won't get any better in the future. Maybe you should visit FM when you're not at work.


Just to speculate... but if everyone who did so followed your advice this forum's traffic would probably drop significantly ;p



Sep 23, 2012 at 03:05 PM
jcolwell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here





Sep 24, 2012 at 02:36 PM
goosemang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


anybody notice that google+ button screwing up pages being loaded?

it hangs up on that for me semi-regularly. would like to block it, but i can only ad-block the image



Sep 24, 2012 at 03:47 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here


I've seen some of the shady adverts here, but it was a while ago.

EBH



Sep 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM
unclechuck
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Unfortunate situation with advertisements here



goosemang

anybody notice that google+ button screwing up pages being loaded? it hangs up on that for me semi-regularly. would like to block it, but i can only ad-block the image


Firefox + AdBlock + Ghostery --- remember to not to accidentally block B&H when ordering



Sep 25, 2012 at 01:04 AM





FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password