Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

It's still early and only has a few basics, but it's out.

Blown exposure zebras and focus peaking items work and a few other things including a better histogram. Nice critical basics.

Hopefully focus peaking works out well, not sure it notices certain subjects.
Have to give it all a good test and hopefully it all helps as much as expected.

Sounds like they are working on improving the codec settings now which might help a lot potentially.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

awesome. intervelometer and magic focus would be very useful to me.

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:06 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

I guess I'm going to have to look into this stuff.

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:59 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

Excellent news. Makes 5D3 all the more interesting.

Jaakko

Sep 23, 2012 at 04:03 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

No problems with it so far at all. Already it is most helpful!

And if it manages to alter bitrates and compression parameters or get raw HDMI out and such then even better.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

Can it eliminate rolling shutter

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Access
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

No, that's a hardware limitation not software.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Can it eliminate rolling shutter

hah not that

but the more powerful historgram and zebras are very nice and while the focus peaking doesn't quite work ideally for all situations it sure helps a lot

if they bump up say the IPB to 90 bitrate and that cleans up shadow blocking and grabs a bit more fine detail or get HDMI raw out this beast will put out some pretty natural, film-like looking stuff

mixing in a little cinegrain and doing sharpening in post it can get sort of filmic looking, like the best 16mm you have ever seen or like a quickly rush printed 35mm theatrical print

for nature shooting it is very nice to be rid of the nasty moire and aliasing of the 5D2/7D/etc. video!

and the SNR really is quite improved, even ISO6400 nature shooting really looks quite solid

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

anyway the initial version now makes the 5D3 functionally reasonable for shooting now

and once they add the other stuff, better bitrates, HDR video and so on, it may really shoot some quite fine video, stuff you certainly would not have dreamed of 5 years ago unless you had a crazy amount of money on hand

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

No problems reported? My 5D3 was just arrived Monday, I didn't get a chance to use it for my shoot Sunday.

I don't think the very first thing I should do I'd load ML before I take a pic.

Although if I am going to brick it, probably no better time. My other camera is a T4i since June, so I haven't use ML in a while. Didn't have anything it would run on. Lots to learn again ...

I would like to see it on the T4i, I intend to use that for a lot of day-to-day video.

Thanks for the info! Michael.

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Magic Lantern is live for 5D3

mmurph wrote:
No problems reported? My 5D3 was just arrived Monday, I didn't get a chance to use it for my shoot Sunday.

I don't think the very first thing I should do I'd load ML before I take a pic.

Although if I am going to brick it, probably no better time. My other camera is a T4i since June, so I haven't use ML in a while. Didn't have anything it would run on. Lots to learn again ...

I would like to see it on the T4i, I intend to use that for a lot of day-to-day video.

Thanks for
...Show more

Friend: Hah, wow so your 5D3 arrived? How are first shots with it?

Me: First shots Dude, I bricked it first thing with ML.

Anyway I've used it a number of times and nothing has gone bad and there have been no reports so far that are bad.
I like.

(Only some talk that focus peaking might heat up the camera a bit more since the new ARM might actually be weaker power in some ways than the digic iv one and gets pushed more or something, that was all rather vague speculation though and it's possible that it doesn't even warm it up any more than just going to liveview does, maybe even most likely. But it was said that even if it was true some have used it for so long in super alphas that there is no way it overheats the CPU and it 100% safe.)

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password