New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Different apporach

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Different apporach

toward some spontaneous portraits from rugby match today.

Thoughts & comments appreciated,

Regards,

bob

"Sir" - aka the referee

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Different apporach

Interesting treatments, especially the third!

Sep 22, 2012 at 08:43 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Different apporach

Lots of details in those expressions. I like the processing and the candids. I am guessing you have the obligatory action shots to compliment these. I think it works well to have both. Cheers - Paul

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Different apporach

Bob,

Two issues for me ... the captures and the processing.

Having been watching this subject / series with you give some perspective that is "atypical" of normal. I think it is important to understand a bit about the game/culture of rugby in order to appreciate these as much as one might.

That being said ... the captures reveal people that are consumed by that which they are engrossed in. That emotive isn't an easy thing to capture and present ... well done. The processing seems a bit of a mixture of "over the top HDR-ish" and grainy grunge. Likely, for most any other subject I'd not care for it at all. BUT ... KNOWING that this is RUGBY ... "over the top grunge" has a certain propriety that seems to "fit".

It takes some "getting used to" ... and as a 'regular' pic, most people would probably pass on it. But, I think that you have aspired to impart some of the spirit of the rugby culture into the message of the image ... and it comes through. Granted, it might get "lost" on most audiences, but I think it has a unique, yet somewhat quirky presentation that is both odd and invokes a curiosity that gives it a bit of a "push/pull" attribute.

As if that makes any sense.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Different apporach

Kent,

Thanks for your insight. Yes, if one surfs Flickr, for instance, for rugby tags, the images often are not what we might label mainstream processing. I am playing to to the audience (and frankly am bored with the ho-hum routine). I will reprocess to harvest what is there in a more conventional light also.

Same goes for the show-band image set - garnered only 2 comments here and I'll conclude of marginal (if that) interest - NTL, an opportunity to stray outside the box and learn something from Paul and Karen's very helpful feedback. This is what makes FM and the PC so great!

The image-solution-space for "scrums" is not infinite so I'm making a concerted effort to vary. As long as they reward me with t-shirts and allow unlimited access I'm happy. My wife won't let me do the "socials" after the match.

Thanks again - well thought out and expressed.

regards,

Bob

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Different apporach

AuntiPode wrote:
Interesting treatments, especially the third!

AuntiPode,

Thanks! Is that good or bad?

Bob

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Different apporach

pinball_pw wrote:
Lots of details in those expressions. I like the processing and the candids. I am guessing you have the obligatory action shots to compliment these. I think it works well to have both. Cheers - Paul

Paul,

Thanks for your comments - glad you like them.

Yes,I have the obligatory action images - might run one or two up later.

Bob

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Different apporach

Bob Jarman wrote:
My wife won't let me do the "socials" after the match.

I don't understand that ... I mean, you only have photo-journalistic aspirations ... right?

BTW ... I think the pics are kinda like drinking warm dark beer ... a bit of an acquired strong taste that grows on you the more you partake.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Different apporach

Interesting is always good. It's the opposite of boring.

For the first two I'd like a bit more chest for context and composition balance, but the intensity of the first two still tell the story. The third could use the chopped fingertips, but the expression or need on his face tells his story as does the dynamics of his catch.

Unlike some of the previous rugby images, these have the right grunge feel to my eyes to say RUGBY... at least as I see it here where the game is socially like football, baseball and basketball rolled into one all year passion!

Sep 23, 2012 at 02:36 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Different apporach

AuntiPode wrote:
Interesting is always good. It's the opposite of boring.

For the first two I'd like a bit more chest for context and composition balance, but the intensity of the first two still tell the story. The third could use the chopped fingertips, but the expression or need on his face tells his story as does the dynamics of his catch.

Unlike some of the previous rugby images, these have the right grunge feel to my eyes to say RUGBY... at least as I see it here where the game is socially like football, baseball and basketball rolled into one all year
...Show more

Thanks AuntiPode,

Glad you enjoyed them. Re clipped appendages? These lads hold down jobs (many in medical fields and IT ironically) so must watch their manners. Genesis of club is from med-students in 70's and 80's.

Bob

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:11 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Different apporach

I.E. the fingertips would be nice.

Sep 23, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Different apporach

AuntiPode wrote:
I.E. the fingertips would be nice.

Ahh yes, my clipping I hope, perhaps they are there - shall see.

Bob

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.