FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Interesting results of DX Macro Lens on FX

byteseller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Interesting results of DX Macro Lens on FX

Just yesterday I received my new D600 as a replacement for a stolen D7000. The first thing I did was test my DX lenses on the new camera to how they behaved and so I could plan on what I might have to change. My 35mm f1.8 did surprisingly well -- almost a complete FX image that could easily be cropped quite a bit larger than DX, at the other end of the spectrum was my 11-16mm Tokina which vignettes to basically only the DX size at all lengths but 16mm where it does pretty well to fill FX without real issues in the corners (light that is I'll need to look at some detailed images) -- funny enough 16mm on the D600 is pretty much exactly the same as 11mm on the D7000 which is what I normally shot at.

The last and most important test was with my Tamrom 60mm f2.0 -- which if you are not familiar with is lens designed for DX. Some of the findings were pretty interesting:

1. At intermediate working distance and pretty much all apertures, the lens vignettes the corners heavily. However, the image "circle" is significantly larger than the DX crop on my camera.

2. The amount of vignetting is interesting as is decreases (slightly) starting from wide-open and closing down the aperture. But at some point around f8 or so, it begins to vignette more and more again. These are all still pretty subtle and well outside of the DX crop size.

3. Most interestingly, and probably due to the lens's design, at 1:1 focus-range the vignetting almost completely disappears and the lens pretty much can be used at a full FX lens.

This is a welcomed result as it means that I pretty much have a fully functional macro lens for my FX camera. I wonder if the situation is similar for some of the other DX macro lenses out there -- Nikon 40mm, Nikon 85mm, Tokina 35mm others?

Sep 22, 2012 at 01:52 PM
LMT1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Interesting results of DX Macro Lens on FX

Thanks for this as I have the Tamron 60 f2 and definitely thinking of going the D600 route when I update. At 1:1, at what aperture does the vignetting disappear?

Cheers
Leigh

Oct 06, 2012 at 05:56 AM
byteseller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Interesting results of DX Macro Lens on FX

I'll need to go back a check but at 1:1 I think vignetting is similar to that in DX. Out of town right now but could check later.

The more intersting test would be to see at what distance/magnification ratio the lens starts to cut out the corners -- calling it just vignetting is not really accurate, as the entire image circle is smaller than FX. Is there an agreed term for this?

Oct 06, 2012 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.