Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

rioni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

I couldn't care less if he's an english english teacher.

leighton w wrote:
You must be an English teacher.

Sep 23, 2012 at 06:53 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

leighton w wrote:
You must be an English teacher.

He must be. Last time I checked this was a forum for photography and not a school. Got to love the internet teachers.

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:00 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.3 #3 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

More likely he's just type A. I AM an English teacher and I certainly don't feel the need to try and control the world's grammar errors.

brad

Sep 23, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Nikon Rob
• •
p.3 #4 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

You used auto-white balance? Did you check in PS/LR to see if both cameras guessed the same WB value? It would be much simpler just to dial in the same Kelvin for both and eliminate the possibility that something other than the LCD is causing the difference.

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:09 PM
rc12k
• • •
p.3 #5 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

Who is this WE you speak of?

I am curious as to whether the two files have the exact same WB temp, though. Do your screens look better when shooting the sample at a preset white balance?

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:48 PM
lodestar

p.3 #6 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

The D600 is an amazing piece of work. But, the display is most certainly green. The LCD is one of the most prominent features of a digital camera. Those of you whom summarily dismiss the inaccuracy as unimportant, or insignificant are perhaps Nikon employees attempting damage control. The claim that the colors are more accurate is pure B.S., and is plainly evident to photogs and novices alike. Is it something you could get used to? Probably, and from the sound of things I will ultimately have to. But for two grand I will be returning mine at least twice for replacement, and then returning it and doing it again at another store. If Nikon came out and acknowledged the problem and either said that is the best they can do, or, promised a fix, I would be more understanding. But to tell me up is down is just plain lying. They certainly won't listen to me on the phone, but when they get hundreds of cameras returned for the same reason and have to sell them as refurbs, maybe they'll get the message. Other than that, I love the camera. The size, weight, speed, focus accuracy, and ergonomics are great. Now if only the LCD didn’t make me want to change white balance all the time……….

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:38 AM
zesto
• •
p.3 #7 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

He's just having a nit picking dig at you. Most of the civilized English speaking world say "I couldn't care less". In the U.S.A. people often say, as you did, "I could care less" which of course means that you do care because you could care even less. .

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:48 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #8 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

Why am I not surprised? What's next camera freezes? AF that doesn't work on the left? Ugh.... sick.

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:02 PM
rathman
• • •
p.3 #9 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

lodestar wrote:
The D600 is an amazing piece of work. But, the display is most certainly green. The LCD is one of the most prominent features of a digital camera. Those of you whom summarily dismiss the inaccuracy as unimportant, or insignificant are perhaps Nikon employees attempting damage control. ……….

I think it's insignificant and I don't think I work for Nikon.

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.3 #10 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

He's just having a nit picking dig at you. Most of the civilized English speaking world say "I couldn't care less". In the U.S.A. people often say, as you did, "I could care less" which of course means that you do care because you could care even less. .

"I couldn't care less" is a simple declaration of disinterest. "I could care less" is at heart sarcastic: "well, I suppose there might be a circumstance in which I would care even less, but I sure can't think of it right now." The confusion comes when people say the latter, when their inflection and tone suggests the former.

Now, what's this about a green tint, and why should I care?!?

;-)

I don't make judgments about color based on anything other than a calibrated monitor.

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RDParker

p.3 #11 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

KR sez;

"The only bad thing about the D600 is that it has the same green color shift problem of the D800 and D4. The LCDs aren't that bad; the problem is that the actual images are often a tad too green! I dial-in M1 (extra magenta) in the auto white balance to get rid of the excess green.

Considering that the much more expensive D800 and D4 have exactly this same problem, I'm not going to whine about it in the D600. I set:

MENU > SHOOTING > White Balance > AUTO > right click to AUTO Normal > right click to the rainbow chart > click one down to M1 > OK

and the green goes away.

Seeing how all of Nikon's 2012 FX cameras have the same flaw, it's as if Nikon is deliberately dumbing-down the color accuracy across the board so all the cameras match, and also so when we finally get used to it, the next wave of cameras can feature "greatly improved color accuracy!" In Japan, it's always two forward, one back.

No worries, set that M1 trick and the colors are fine."

We both work for Nikon.

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:00 PM
object88

p.3 #12 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

First off, let me say that I don't own a D600. I would love to, but it's not in the cards... or at least, not the credit cards. Second, I could care less about this detail. But honestly, the amount that I care is very, very small.

A tangent: In the pro audio recording world, one of the most popular sets of monitors (speakers) was the Sony NS-10. And they sounded like crap. But they were very common thing to find sitting on top of mixing desks, in listening rooms, etc. And oddly enough, despite sounding bad, some absolutely amazing records were recorded, mixed and/or mastered while listening through them. Why? Because the engineers knew how to use their tools. They knew what effect the speaker has on the actual recording, and how it would sound differently elsewhere. So they understood their tool.

The LCD is just a tool. If it's miscalibrated, or has a tint, then you can get used to it. You can learn it's quirks and tendencies, and say to yourself, "Self, the picture looks a little green, but you know that it's actually not that green". You can take that picture home, and work further on it in your well-calibrated monitors.

Or you could just just say "fuck this crap" and return the camera. That's OK too.

Personally, I think I could get used to a little green, in light of the step up from my current gear that this camera would provide. My D40's exposure isn't perfect; it tends to overexpose. No biggie; I know how to handle that in Lightroom. No tool is perfect, and I'm a little quirky myself.

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #13 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

When I think about LCD on back of SLR/n I must just laugh at some problems that D600/800 users are having.

My current very alternative camera has one of best colors, but if you look on back LCD, you wont see much of colors, sharpness or even how much over/under exposed it is.

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.3 #14 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

What serious photographer would ever take color calibration advice from KR?

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.3 #15 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

RDParker wrote:
KR sez;

"The only bad thing about the D600 is that it has the same green color shift problem of the D800 and D4. The LCDs aren't that bad; the problem is that the actual images are often a tad too green! I dial-in M1 (extra magenta) in the auto white balance to get rid of the excess green.

Considering that the much more expensive D800 and D4 have exactly this same problem, I'm not going to whine about it in the D600. I set:

MENU > SHOOTING > White Balance > AUTO > right click to AUTO Normal > right
...Show more

I know a few people like KR but this time i listened to him and happy with the result

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:45 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.3 #16 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

Just a note. I've never been impressed with the quality of Nikon LCD screens. My friend's D700 looks like crap compared to my Canon t1i.

My D600 should arrive tomorrow, I'll have to wait and see if it's a problem.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:11 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.3 #17 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

Yeah my iphone 3 is better the that crappy D600 best just to put on B/S

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:16 PM
RDParker

p.3 #18 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

Smiert Spionam wrote:
What serious photographer would ever take color calibration advice from KR?

What?!? Are you telling me his saturation settings aren't spot-on? Heretic!

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:38 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

INFOCUSPHOTO wrote:
@vtec44 I agree, an LCD is for composition, and a sample of exposure... its not a computer screen, or was it intended to be, its Only a Reference Point...

@davidnholtjr

D600 looks very light green D700 looks Magenta.... So now what?

Next comes a cyan tint. Nikon is going to make a rainbow flag out of LCDs.

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:10 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.3 #20 · D600 LCD green tint... Here we go again.

Meh, my D5100 screen is has a greener tint than my D300. It is really only noticable when looking at both side by side though.

As nice as it would be to have an lcd that was 'spot on' it doesn't make much difference to me. I shoot RAW so as long as I can accurately check focus, composition & the RGB histograms i'm good. I may feel different if I relied on in-camera jpgs though.

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:33 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password