1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

dbehrens wrote:
I do not see it as a dog at all. I believe it will be as dramatic of an improvement over the Mark I as the 16-35 MkII was over the MkI version. However, for me I still love my 28-70L, it shoots razor sharp at f/2.8 and at the end of the day the real difference for me is the lack of 24-27mm. I can live with that.
Dave

Dave,

Sorry. I guess you missed my sarcasm. The at the end was supposed to flag this. I'm excited to be getting a new 24-70/2.8L II. I plan to sell a number of Alt lenses to help with this initiative.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

My old arsenal.

Canon 5D2 - sold
Canon MPE 65 and twin flash - sold
Canon 24-105 - up for sale
Tokina 11-16 - up for sale
Canon 50 1.4 - I may sell it. Not sure

New arsenal

Canon 5D3
Canon 24-70 MK2
Canon 70-200 MK2 ordered

Exsiting

7D
300L F4 IS
70-200 F4 IS - gonna keep it as a light travel zoom
100 Macro IS
Canon 1.4X & 2X extenders
Sigma 2X extender
Various flashes

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Mike Pearson
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Apparently if you tell folks "it scores 9.5 out of 10 and thereby blows away the competition" everyone wants it. If you say "it only scores 9.5 out of 10 and therefore is far from perfect" no one wants it.

All I know is that for the past couple of years my Mk I has just been sitting on a shelf collecting dust because even after a year of back and forth to Canon for adjustment I could find no joy in pictures taken with it. Since the MkII came in it hasn't left my camera. I'm having to learn how to shoot wider than 70mm all over again and loving it.

For me the Mk I was way over priced, not the Mk II.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Mike Pearson wrote:
For me the Mk I was way over priced, not the Mk II.

Luckily I bought my Mk1 when retail was still about $1300, but I agree it is borderline overpriced at $1500+ considering the QC variability. Still, $2300 for the new version is definitely overpriced IMO.... some people might think it's worth the money and obviously YMMV, but when you compare to the equivalents from Sony/Zeiss and Nikon it does seem like Canon is taking the p1ss a little bit

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Mike Pearson wrote:
Apparently if you tell folks "it scores 9.5 out of 10 and thereby blows away the competition" everyone wants it. If you say "it only scores 9.5 out of 10 and therefore is far from perfect" no one wants it.

hah, seems true

(although some comments do make me wonder a bit about QC, maybe even after the long delay they still never got it fully under control?)

Edited on Sep 24, 2012 at 01:15 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Please post more samples at the long end, wide open, overall image and 100% crops....I'm not too concerned about the edges/corners, center is fine. Thanks in advance.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM
R. Eisenberg
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

My mk I was very good, but it suffered from the known defect of the ring becoming unglued where the lens hood was fastened to the lens. It was one of the initial series that had this defect and was repaired by CPS without cost. However, when the same problem re-surfaced, quite sometime later, I was obliged to assume the cost of the repair, although I pointed out that it was still the same known defect. So I decided to sell the lens and am now looking forward to the mk2. With others, I regret that it lacks IS, but I'm pleased that it is a bit lighter and, if QC is good, should be optically improved in many respects.

Sep 24, 2012 at 02:50 AM
krickett
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

I like photozone's charts, but the scores are a bit arbitrary. It seems they value corner to corner evenness more than anything, and they just tack a star rating based on their gut feeling. My guess is they didn't write a glowing review due to the sticker shock.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:41 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

I suspect Photozone is accurate. Even mega$$$$ zooms are not that great edge to edge full frame.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:46 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

krickett wrote:
I like photozone's charts, but the scores are a bit arbitrary. It seems they value corner to corner evenness more than anything, and they just tack a star rating based on their gut feeling. My guess is they didn't write a glowing review due to the sticker shock.

Yeah, I believe he gave the 24 1.4 II a less enthusiastic and lower rating, or at best identical, than the 24-105, which is utterly blow away at 24mm, jsut because the extreme corners were total mush as f/1.4! Well what 24mm has extreme corners that are not total must at f/1.4, I'd like to see it.

Yeah probably the sticker shock.

But his plots generally seem to be pretty decent, obviously lens copies will vary and testing is tricky, but overall his results generally seem to be some of the most reasonable to me for the most part (there was the 300 2.8 IS score worse than the 70-300 non-L and 300 f/4 but they removed that years ago, they had also tested it outdoors in a different way than the others).

One thing to note, that had me tricked for a long time, is check out the page where he shows where he measures center, border and extreme, unlike other sites this guys measurements really are far out there, extreme is way in the corners where it almost doesn't matter much for almost any lens (of course you'd like it to be nice there too, but in the end, I'd almost say who cares about any of his extreme scores, and that is the one place the 24-70 II falls behind) and his border results are borders heading towards corners so they are perhaps even a trace farther from center than even extreme middle left edge so I think they tell all the story that needs to be told and I've decided to only note his center and border scores and ignore his extreme scores, even for landscapes, the extreme scores seem only a trace relevant IMO, a trace, so forget them.

If you look at the numbers I posted for how it does center and edge it really looks pretty good, truly amazing at 24mm, actually scoring higher than most primes.

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:47 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

abqnmusa wrote:
I suspect Photozone is accurate. Even mega$$$$ zooms are not that great edge to edge full frame.

The 70-200/300L ones are. And actually even this 24-70 II largely is. Realize that his border is wayyyy out there maybe even past the centered extreme left or right edge and his extreme (which is other site's edge) is deep in the corners where it almost doesn't matter much.

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:48 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Review by the LensRental is based on many lenses, while Photozone, and other self appointed “testers”, usually test a single lens. There are also variations resulting from the Camera to lens matching despite the lens µAdjustments. What these testers produce is numbers.

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

abqnmusa wrote:

In general I find PZ reviews to not always be meaningful. I'm still trying to find out what test distances are used.

As always, one needs to have the lenses at hand and test them personally. I also find the opposite. Some lenses that are very highly rated are very good, but not as good as one would expect from the internet.

EBH

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:17 PM
SKumar25
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

artsupreme wrote:
Please post more samples at the long end, wide open, overall image and 100% crops....I'm not too concerned about the edges/corners, center is fine. Thanks in advance.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1148097/4#10988901

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:21 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

skibum5 wrote:
Yeah, I believe he gave the 24 1.4 II a less enthusiastic and lower rating, or at best identical, than the 24-105, which is utterly blow away at 24mm, jsut because the extreme corners were total mush as f/1.4! Well what 24mm has extreme corners that are not total must at f/1.4, I'd like to see it.

Just have a look at the Samyang 24/1.4 that they tested.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:23 PM
photomadnz
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Some of you may have seen my write ups earlier about this lens. Ive been testing quite a few samples and may have actually found one that is much better then the other samples. More on this later. Anyway some have asked how the Tamron stacks up so Ive given a couple of raws for you to have a look.

Both at 24mm focused on the white sign in center/lower of frame. I chose f13 as I didnt want depth of field issues just wanted to see how they rendered. Dont start the "I want them wide open" chorus! :-) Its even more apparent at that aperture trust me. And this is NOT the sharpest Canon sample I spoke about.

Not the most stunning scene but just wanted some complexity and objects all over the frame.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58979580/Canon.CR2
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58979580/Tamron.CR2

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:35 PM
jstntym
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Sorry I can't access the link..is it just me? Thanks for posting these those, I'll check back later!

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:40 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Yakim Peled wrote:
Just have a look at the Samyang 24/1.4 that they tested.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

OK, well maybe that one does , but it didn't exist when the reviewed the other one .
It's actually not as sharp in the normal border area though as the 24 1.4 II (or even itself in the extreme corners), weird lens. Looks like they traded more distortion and some weird stuff for extra clean extreme corners. And it still gets wayyy better scores than the 24-105 which got as many or more stars.

Edited on Sep 24, 2012 at 08:05 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:50 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

jstntym wrote:
Sorry I can't access the link..is it just me? Thanks for posting these those, I'll check back later!

links work for me

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:52 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

skibum5 wrote:
...unlike other sites this guys measurements really are far out there, extreme is way in the corners where it almost doesn't matter much for almost any lens... I've decided to only note his center and border scores and ignore his extreme scores, even for landscapes, the extreme scores seem only a trace relevant IMO, a trace, so forget them.

In this regard, both the 17-40 f/4L and 24-105 f/4L seem pretty decent if we ignore the extreme edges.

Klauss is VERY particular because most lenses are decent and one way to differentiate them is to be really picky and test to the extreme edges.

Note that the same can be said about modern day DSLRs....

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.