New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sensor cleaning

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sensor cleaning

For the longest, I've used the Copperhill method of cleaning sensors. Just picked up a full-frame camera and was curious if there was something better that could be used on various sized sensors.

Or is it just as easy buying another swab for the Copperhill system?

Sep 21, 2012 at 04:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sensor cleaning

Q-tips (or any lint-free swab of your choice) and a mixture of 50% water & 50% isopropyl alcohol.

Low cost and has worked for me on a variety of bodies for the last ten years.

Sep 21, 2012 at 04:56 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sensor cleaning

You should only wet clean very rarely - only when other methods don't work any more. I might wet-clean once per year if I get some "sticky dust." First line of defense is to run the dust removal routine on the camera - not only the automatic process at start-up and shut down, but also the slightly more thorough version you can select via menus. Second step is to use a bulb blower to try to move the dust around so that the vibration system can then get rid of it. Third is to use a sensor brush. Only when that fails will I consider a wet cleaning.

Q-tips are recommended by some and shunned by others due to concerns about getting additional dust/lint in the chamber.

Dan

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:14 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sensor cleaning

If you're familiar with the Copperhill method of cleaning, just get another swab for the full frame sensor.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:55 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sensor cleaning

Dan... it's a 1Ds MKII without the sensor cleaning feature the more recent models have.

Any sensor brush you'de recommend?

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sensor cleaning

I use the VisibleDust Vswabs for wet cleaning (comes with VDust Plus liquid cleaner).

I use an Arctic Butterfly from the same people when a dry anti-static brush is all that's needed to do the job.

http://www.visibledust.com/

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sensor cleaning

Just use a swab once every few months together with your camera's sensor dust cleaner and sensor dust delete data.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sensor cleaning

coppertop wrote:
Dan... it's a 1Ds MKII without the sensor cleaning feature the more recent models have.

Any sensor brush you'de recommend?

Sorry about missing the camera model - I've responded to that question so many times that I'm afraid I was on autopilot! So this is more like the situation with the original 5D, which also lacked the sensor vibration system.

I don't necessarily recommend that brush that I use. It works fine, but it cost too much. I bought it back perhaps 6 years ago when I had my 5D and I paid too much for it! It is literally called a "sensor brush," and it might have come from the same folks who market the Copperhill stuff, since I had been relying on them for sensor cleaning supplies at that time.

I understand that alternative and less expensive soft nylon brushes of high quality from other sources can work, too, though I haven't had to actually purchase one. What you would want would be a relatively small (perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of the sensor height) brush with a flat end.

(A search on "DSLR sensor brush" comes up with a number of options, some of which look like what I have. By the way, it also turns up the "lens pen" systems. I tried those and was not thrilled. YMMV.)

Dan

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.