Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

mclldavidson
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I have wanted this awhile , I am curious to people who have had it awhile. Do you find yourself using it a lot? If so, what lens has it replaced? Would you choose it over the 50 1.8?

And please post pics you have taken with it, not all pp'd though please.

Edited on Sep 21, 2012 at 09:46 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:17 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

Damn thing pokes my eye out. It's sharp. I use mine quite a bit...

It has replaced 35/2 and 28/2.8, and I will be selling my 50/1.4 (granted I have OM50/1.2).

I just took it off of my 1D3 for a special project, otherwise if a super tele isn't on that cam body, the 40 usually is.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:28 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

My favorite lens.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #4 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I liked it but wish it was faster. Couldn't justify having the 40mm and a 50mm f2.5 so I returned the 40mm.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

It is sharp from f/2.8, very small, has reliable autofocus, and 40mm is really great for some event shooting where 50mm is too long, 35 a tad wide, and you can live with the f/2.8 and without a huge f/2.8 zoom/hood in people's faces.

The fact that it's $200 USD or so it the cherry on the icing on the cake, to mix a few phrases.

I did have a strange thing where my AF settings (a CF) changed, while using it, and without input, at least conscious input, on my part. I'll wait to see it happens again but I am NOT imagining things...my shutter button sudden began initiating autofocussing again that is something I've turned off in every Canon I've used since the 1N in the '90s.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

Great lens, great price!

This is an excellent example of the quality of Canon's new lenses. A real winner.

I use it for stills and video. It focuses very fast for stills. It also does very well with video auto focus andface tracking, like on a camcorder.

I also have a 50 mm 1.8 which the 40 mm replaced, except the 50 is hardly worth selling. I also sold my 45 TS-E after I got the 40! Not that it exactly replaces the 45, obviously, but I didn't need 3 lenses from 40-50.

On the T4i crop body, this is a great portrait lens. If I were able to buy the EOS M, the 22 and 40 would make a great pair, you would be covered except for a 65 or similar. I am going the other way though, getting a 1DX.

Have fun!
Michael

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I'm the lucky new owner of Michelle's 35/2 and 28/2.8 lenses!

I took the 40/2.8 STM out to compare against the 35/2 the other day. The initial result is that they are pretty comparable from f/2.8 on, but the 40 has a edge on sharpness. Having said that, it seems the 35 focuses slightly more accurate, just by a small margin, and needs no MA on my 5D2, where the 40 needs -7. Both seem to perform well on the 1Ds2 which provides no MA correction. Two other obvious differences and possibly advantages for the 35 : wider angle by 5mm, and one stop faster, which can come in handy. The 40 has more light fall-off until around f/5.6.

I don't feel the 40 replaces the 35, and I'm happy to own both for now.

I also have the 45TS-E that Michael mentioned, and have done a limited comparison between it and the 40. The 40 is definitely sharper than the 45TS-E, but not disastrously so.Tthe 45 is a special lens and can do special things, and has amazing color, so I'm keeping it for now. The difference in size between these two lenses is really a contrast!

Here are some of the comparison images between the 35 and 40 (I posted some other comparison images the other day on another 40 thread here). 35mm images are the first in each set. Suggestion: Open two windows to do image comparison. Slight PP in LR4 to balance exposure and color temp.

It is pretty hard to tell differences from these small web images, but trust me, it's hard even on larger 100% viewing. They are both very good lenses. I would have a hard time choosing, but might take the 35 because of its f/2 aperture -- I don't know! I sort of hoping to get the Canon M and put the STM to better use, but we'll see.

Hope this helps.

f/8

f/5.6

f/2.8

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #8 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I still like it...I use mine a lot...super IQ and super small.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #9 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

Excellent value, love the small profile and IQ is consistently good. I would give the edge to the 40mm over my old copy of the 35 f/2 in terms of sharpness, contrast and build quality. Would I love it faster? Sure, but Canon would charge exponentially more if it were...

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #10 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I absolutely love it, and it has fit nicely into my workflow

AF isn't the fastest but its fast enough for this type of lens IMO. image quality is absolutely excellent.

Sep 22, 2012 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #11 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

Love it! perfect for when i take off the grip on the 5DIII and just want to have fun, great 'gatherings' lens.

Sep 22, 2012 at 03:50 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

Love it also! Its my go to landscape and travel lens in that focal length. My go to kit for that is much lighter now (24mm TSE II, 40mm2.8, 70-200f4L). Its on my 5D3 most of the time for casual shots.

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:23 AM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #13 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

Any low light or indoor pics?

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #14 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

mclldavidson wrote:
Any low light or indoor pics?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/accessaccess/sets/72157631596323574/

If it helps this entire album was shot with that lens. No flash, various lighting conditions, PP to bring up people when they are in the shadows or the lighting is especially bad.

Most at f/2.8, exif data should be intact.

I use the lens a lot, basically, it replaced the 24-70 f/2.8. I'll typically have this lens and the 85mm f/1.8 on me; but this lens gets most of the use on days like that (esp. if I don't know anyone or have much time for photography).

It's a good lens, if I zoom in at 1:3 or even 1:1 in LR the photos look very sharp. Sometimes the edges have violet-green or pink-green CA, but it isn't really visible at normal viewing resolutions.

Sep 22, 2012 at 04:45 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #15 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

Does anyone have the lens hood for the 40?
I have the hood and a uv filter. Not quite sure which should go on which... Seems the hood is a better fit against the lens (barrels diameters match) but I would think you'd want to put the hood as far away as possible to maximize flare reduction.
Anyone else use both?

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I was going to buy one, but basically forgot about it after the fiasco. Maybe I'd buy one if it were 100% certain to be the fixed model.

EBH

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:48 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I just bought the hood... it will not be for everyone. It is a 52mm threaded metal hood that is a tad thicker than a polarizing filter. Internally there is some baffling that protects the front element. I only use two filters on anything... a variable ND and a polarizer. On the other hand, I am addicted to hoods as I tend to bump into stuff and occasionally grab towards the front of the lens. Knowing that the focusing ring is so close to the front element, I felt that the extra bit of protection of this tiny hood would benefit me... given my hurried shooting style.

Another benefit of the tiny hood is that you can still use your 52mm lens cap and that it barely alters the pancake profile of the lens.
regards,
bruce

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:52 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #18 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

That's why I'm struggling with keeping the uv on it. It makes the lens, with hood that much thicker.

Sep 22, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

I was one of the biggest critiques of this lens. I could not understand the extra cost to the 50/1.8 and losing a stop to the 35/2. But then I tried it and it started to grow on me. The AF is so much better than AFD that if today I'd buy myself a small prime I'd seriously consider it.

I still wish it had IS or faster aperture though.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 22, 2012 at 06:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Months later..what are 40 2.8 owners thinking?

OwlsEyes wrote:
I just bought the hood... it will not be for everyone. It is a 52mm threaded metal hood that is a tad thicker than a polarizing filter. Internally there is some baffling that protects the front element. I only use two filters on anything... a variable ND and a polarizer. On the other hand, I am addicted to hoods as I tend to bump into stuff and occasionally grab towards the front of the lens. Knowing that the focusing ring is so close to the front element, I felt that the extra bit of protection of this tiny hood would
...Show more

Is it possible to use a filter, hood and lens cap together?

EBH

Sep 22, 2012 at 06:58 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password