Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Videographers with short lenses

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Videographers with short lenses

I don't know who wrote the manual on videography and told these guys that they had to use 50mm lenses for everything. I am so tired of losing good shots because these jokers have to be 24 inches away from the subject/detail to get the closeup they want. get a 135mm

/rant.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:00 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Videographers with short lenses

It's the manual of being a broke-ass, I believe.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Videographers with short lenses

I have had to throw away so many shots from this wedding I am editing because these jack-asses are right on top of the bride. You would think they are the ones spending the night with her they are so all up on. argh

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:50 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Videographers with short lenses

OMG.. i just helped someone from California for a wedding. He does both video and photography. He had 2 guys doing videos and constantly 3 people hovering the subjects really close. It was painful. All using wide angles 50 and wider.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:02 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Videographers with short lenses

I know it sucks. I always ask my brides IF they are using a vidiot, who they are and to be aware that IF they are constantly in her face that many shots will not be usable. I just put that into her head to she can't complain later on. That way I can try to do my job without worrying about it.

And yes, cheap ass vidiots who can't afford REAL video cameras opt for the cheap rebels and lenses to they have to be up the brides butt to get their shots.

The thing that irks me is the total lack of respect for anyone else at the wedding, not only the photographer.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Videographers with short lenses

Document the day as it happens. If they're in the way, that's the way it happened.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:27 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Videographers with short lenses

all I gotta say is that I am super thankful that I am married to the videographer at most of my weddings and he does not do this crap.... and he never will. we work out deals with people to ensure IF they want video, that they can afford to hire both of us because I honestly would not want to work with the conditions of the unknown

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:34 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Videographers with short lenses

Inku Yo wrote:
Document the day as it happens. If they're in the way, that's the way it happened.

+1 on this...

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:35 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Videographers with short lenses

Inku Yo wrote:

That is really hard for me to do...I know it is what happened and all, but I hate giving photos that are great except for the idiot holding the other camera so close...

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Videographers with short lenses

joelconner wrote:
That is really hard for me to do...I know it is what happened and all, but I hate giving photos that are great except for the idiot holding the other camera so close...

So, what are your options, really? Not take the shot? I'd rather have the shot or a really great moment, with someone else's camera in it, then no shot at all.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:45 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Videographers with short lenses

true...it's just so distracting. honestly, if it's a really great shop, I usually take the 2 minutes to PS the guy out of the shot.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:52 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Videographers with short lenses

Im sure we all will just try to get our shots and work around the vidiots. But it's a major frustration. I once had a mom grab a vidiot who was standing opposite her in the middle of the aisle at the first row of chairs and pull him to the side and give him an earful. Next thing you know he's shooting from the far left out of anyone's view...

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Videographers with short lenses

It took just one wedding a few years ago with a videographer two feet away from the couple the whole friggin day for me to include a videographer interference clause in my contract.

If a couple plans to have a videographer I explain the risks and show them pics of videographer interference. I explain to them that if a videographer needs to be so close to them that he is blocking everyone's view it's because he has inadequate equipment. Then I have them read and initial the videographer interference clause and sign. It's all I can do .. and I must say that it has cleared up the problem quite nicely

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:43 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Videographers with short lenses

I'm doing a lot of videos (while my wife does photo) and I never understood these guys with "short lens". It's so much easier to stand in the far corner and just observe the action, instead of being in the middle of it. And also images/video look sooo much better if shot with long lens. So unless it's a reception with lots of dancing, I'm sticking to my 70-200 on my 7D for video purposes.

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:51 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Videographers with short lenses

Mike Mahoney wrote:
If a couple plans to have a videographer I explain the risks and show them pics of videographer interference. I explain to them that if a videographer needs to be so close to them that he is blocking everyone's view it's because he has inadequate equipment. Then I have them read and initial the videographer interference clause and sign. It's all I can do .. and I must say that it has cleared up the problem quite nicely

Why does that matter? Do you guarantee "videographer free" photographs in your contract? If you don't then the presence of a videographer has no legal bearing on any contract.

Sep 21, 2012 at 08:10 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Videographers with short lenses

joelconner wrote:
I don't know who wrote the manual on videography and told these guys that they had to use 50mm lenses for everything. I am so tired of losing good shots because these jokers have to be 24 inches away from the subject/detail to get the closeup they want. get a 135mm

/rant.

I agree. They sux.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Videographers with short lenses

marti.g3 wrote:
The thing that irks me is the total lack of respect for anyone else at the wedding, not only the photographer.

Yes, agree with this too.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM
kardician
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Videographers with short lenses

I feel for you. I did a ceremony where the videographer used 15mm fisheye on a 7D and he was about a foot away from the couple during the entire ceremony. Wouldn't be so bad if he was on a tripod and kept still but he had a monopod and kept moving around.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Videographers with short lenses

man. if you were a videographer, you wouldn't want to use a 135 all the time. I would have a 24/35/50 glued to my camera like at all times.

Sep 22, 2012 at 01:47 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Videographers with short lenses

jprezant wrote:
if you were a videographer, you wouldn't want to use a 135 all the time. I would have a 24/35/50 glued to my camera like at all times.

Why is that?

Sep 22, 2012 at 03:30 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.