Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              86      
       88              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.87 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Some more empty streets.

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:32 PM
evilgeniusdan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.87 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Chinatown street capture.

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:56 AM
hmzimelka

p.87 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

So I've just got my DP2m last week, at last...

I got the impression flash compatibility was going to be an issue, but all my Nikon strobes work perfectly, be it in M mode, and with SU4 mode engaged, I can shoot a 3 strobe setup without a problem.

On a more technical note, is the cyan/magenta lens shading cast influenced by UV and/or IR light?
Seems like my outdoor shots are more prone to colour shift. I'm not entirely sure how the colour cast should behave with this camera/lens set up. I shot the blue sky, neutralised the blue colour at the centre, and observed what seemed like a unsymmetrical colour shift.

[EDIT]

Who prefers the Monochrome mode in SPP over the B&W tool in LR?
I find I get smoother images in LR4 converting a colour image than from the Monochrome mode in SPP. Well, anything but a neutral or a blue filtered image in SPP is noisier than the LR conversion.

BTW, I shot a scene with a red filter, and converted it to B&W in SPP, and I must admit it works very very well.
I'm still waiting for my step up ring to use 52mm filters.

Also, I was under impression that it takes forever to write images to the card.
A 7 image burst (RAW at full res), from the moment of pushing the release to when the red light goes off for the final image, takes 41 seconds. I've read others are experiencing this to take up to 1:30min or longer. I'm using a 16GB Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s card.

Anyways. Some pics...

Jul 14, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.87 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I posted this full rez TIFF on Flickr because I think it shows the breathtaking resolution and '3D' capabilities of this amazing camera. I think it's about 56 MB. From Karnala forest reserve nr Mumbai, this morning. Unfortunately, you need to see the full res image to get the effect.....

Undergrowth by Jeaunse23, on Flickr

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM
edwinIII
• •
p.87 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

hmzimelka wrote:
Who prefers the Monochrome mode in SPP over the B&W tool in LR?
I find I get smoother images in LR4 converting a colour image than from the Monochrome mode in SPP. Well, anything but a neutral or a blue filtered image in SPP is noisier than the LR conversion.

BTW, I shot a scene with a red filter, and converted it to B&W in SPP, and I must admit it works very very well.
I'm still waiting for my step up ring to use 52mm filters.

I prefer converting to B&W in LR. The Monochrome mode in SPP seems to be applying some sort of smoothing similar to the effect of negative clarity in LR. I have especially noticed it in clouds and the fine detail is reduced. If I get a chance I will post a comparison.

Edwin

Jul 14, 2013 at 02:30 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.87 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Wish I had shot this with my 5D II for comparison, but I would believe it would have come up short.

Here is the full size shot...

f/5.6 - ISO 100 - Handheld

Processed through SPP and then through Photo Ninja

Probably a little "too" sharp....but I love looking at the details in the ropes, chains, lobster traps, etc.

-Tim

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
hmzimelka

p.87 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

edwinIII wrote:
I prefer converting to B&W in LR. The Monochrome mode in SPP seems to be applying some sort of smoothing similar to the effect of negative clarity in LR. I have especially noticed it in clouds and the fine detail is reduced. If I get a chance I will post a comparison.

Edwin

Ok, interesting. I would be very interested to see the comparison.

I don't have enough experience with the SPP Monochrome output to have noticed something like that... I did notice that the luminance noise reduction in the Monochrome mode is quite aggressive. No matter the scene, colour or Monochrome, my Luminance NR slider is always set to the lowest setting.

I wish SPP could have a "user" or "camera specific" default settings. Since I can't find where to turn NR off in camera, having to continuously set it for each image is annoying.

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:29 AM
hmzimelka

p.87 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

On my way home this evening, I decided to stop off near a place I often go walking.
I wanted to see how the DP2m would handle long exposures in the pitch black night.

I was surprised to see an image with a 30sec f/2.8, ISO 200 exposure. Focus was guestimated, and luckily it looks spot on.

In SPP, colour mode, the results looked fairly desaturated, with the blotchy chroma noise one expects at higher ISO values. I then switched to Monochrome, made sure luminance NR was off. Noise was average with the colour mixer at it's default. I then switched to it into the extreme blue, and the image simply smoothed out and became almost grain free. With the colour mixer in the green and especially in the red, the results were much noisier.

Below is the shot followed by a crop. (NR was set to lowest setting)

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:50 PM
hmzimelka

p.87 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Edited on Oct 07, 2013 at 05:59 AM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
deadhumpy
• •
p.87 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Here's a quick stitched DP2m shot. I shot my nikon d800e with the new 35mm 1.4 along side the dp2m for a large format panorama project. I ended up using a shot taken with the d800e but only because I didn't shoot a wide enough pano on the dp2m. There's something special about the dp2m files, fine texture is rendered much better.

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwinIII
• •
p.87 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM
juan_amores
• •
p.87 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hi all, I have a question about using SPP. When I press the button "Full Res" sometimes get in the window "Fit in" 27.2% and sometimes 40.8%. Someone knows why this happens?
Thanks

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.87 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

One photo shot in portrait orientation, the other in landscape?

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
juan_amores
• •
p.87 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I almost always shot in landscape orientation...
Thanks

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Chrissearle
• •
p.87 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Heres a quick snap from my Sivakasi hotel bedroom window which shows off the Foveon 'look' rather well I think:
From my Shivkashi hotel bedroom window by Jeaunse23, on Flickr

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
hmzimelka

p.87 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Besides loosing 3 stops of speed, shooting with a dark red filter is good fun with very good results.

Some DP2m images from today...

Multi image stitch

Shot with a dark red filter

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:52 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.87 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

3rd image is fantastic

Do you really find much benefit in shooting with a red filter vs just using SPP and selecting the color channel you want ?

Seems like that would basically give you the same effect, no ?

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM
hmzimelka

p.87 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

millsart wrote:
3rd image is fantastic

Do you really find much benefit in shooting with a red filter vs just using SPP and selecting the color channel you want ?

Seems like that would basically give you the same effect, no ?

Thank you.

Yes, the dark red filter creates a far stronger effect I could ever achieve in SPP, and besides this, there isn't an increase in noise like when only the red channel is selected in SPP. Using a red filter, the channel mixer can be left unchanged.

The only draw back to shooting with a strong red filter with the Monochrome WB, is that the LCD preview and JPG previews in playback look absolutely terrible; flat washed out grey. However, once the RAW file is opened in SPP, they look how one would expect.

The interesting thing is, that shooting with a red filter and that terrible grey LCD preview, is that any clipping in the red channel appears as white, which is in strong contrast to the darker grey image in general. This makes it quite easy to determine correct exposure.

Here is how the preview looks in camera and in the image browser of SPP.

Here is the same image after initial rendering in SPP

Edited on Jul 30, 2013 at 07:43 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:21 AM
hmzimelka

p.87 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

A couple days ago, I found a way to colour calibrate my Sigma DP2m files using the Gretag Macbeth chart.

Adobe DNG Profile editor is capable of profiling a Sigma DP2m DNG converted file, but ACR is not able to use it on the DNG or TIFF files, therefore it was a wasted effort.

Running Mac OSX, and not knowing how to do command line stuff in Terminal, and not having a PC around in sight, I felt rather stuck, as the solutions I found were Terminal based command line stuff or Windows executable files.

Stumbling across Wine for Mac, I quickly managed to run the Windows program called CoCa, which is a GUI for Agryll CMS if I'm not mistaken...

I photographed my Gretag Macbeth chart outside at midday, ran it through SPP with only camera settings applied (For colour images, the camera is always set to Daylight WB and Neutral colour mode) and saved it as a 16 bit Tiff file in Adobe RGB 1998 colour space.

I opened this file in PS, cropped the chart to fit the markings, and ran it through CoCa. I soon had an .icm profile which I saved in my colour profile library. I wrote a PS action which assigns the newly made profile to an image, and then converts it back to Adobe 98.

I actually created two icm. profiles. I found that the standard one had too saturated colours, so before saving the cropped colour chart image for profiling, I increased the saturation by 15, saved it, and proceeded to create an .icm profile. This tricked the resulting profile to render a less saturated image once assigned to the Sigma TIFF files.

Now, I'm no colour expert, and I suppose the method above has not much technical merit.... but the results have been fantastic. I'm far happier with the colour output from my DP2m since this calibration!

Here is a LINK to one of those slider comparisons with a before and after comparison. At the moment, I haven't got a suitable image that shows a more dramatic difference in colour

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:37 AM
juan_amores
• •
p.87 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

A few pics from Conil de la Frontera (Cadiz, Spain)

_SDI1104 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1106 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1133 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1109 por John Loves, en Flickr

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password