Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              77      
       79              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

vaflower
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.78 #1 · p.78 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

veroman wrote:
The majority of DP2M images I'm seeing in this thread appear way over-sharpened to my eyes; sharper than real life, in fact. Any number of them exhibit obvious sharpening halos. I have to assume this is the result of over-zealous processing. Come on now ... super-duper-sharpness isn't what matters in a photograph. Not even the very best MF film shots are this sharp.
- Steve

The default sharpness in SPP should be at -1.5 to -2 which is what I always applies. Still the DP2M images have a natural punch and sharpness beyond normal sharpening. I did use optimal clarity + sharpening with Canon files and they often do not match the punch and details in DP2M images.
So I think the Feveon sensor do contribute something special.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:19 PM
itai195
• • •
p.78 #2 · p.78 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

vaflower wrote:
Did you use the color mixer in SPP ? I am hopelessly incompetent in that front. How does the color mixer impact a B&W image ?

It's akin to applying a digital color filter. If you've used the color filter setting in Silver Efex Pro, it's basically the same idea presented a bit differently. In SPP the main thing I've used it for is to reduce noise in high ISO b&w by applying a mild blue filter. I've gotten nice results up to ISO 800 that way, but I suspect you probably could go even to 1600 if you don't mind a little grain in you b&w.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Chrissearle
• •
p.78 #3 · p.78 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic wrote:
I am wondering about this statement As long there are no halos: can a photo ever be to sharp?
Aren't we discussing the sharpness of lenses all the time.

May be not so for portraits of people/ ladys above let's say 50. That would be very confronting.
(BTW Although Hulyss Bowman makes beautiful portraits with the DP3m, albeit mostly from the young and beautifull.)
But for architectural, flower or landscape/city shots I don't mind sharpness. When I look at these kind of files of my NEX-7 at 100% it looks like there is a veil in front of the detail. Very
...Show more

Absolutely! I love the very sharp 'Foveon look' but I hate sharpening artefacts ( which I do see on some photographs from these cameras). As far as I am concerned, as long as there are no halos or other gremlins, I'll settle for the super sharp look over the 'digital mush' that my 5D3 CR2's make from (eg) distant foliage any day.

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:39 AM
edwinIII
• •
p.78 #4 · p.78 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Here is another try. This image is a type of scene I like to photograph, but not meant to be anything special. Just trying to get to know the camera and learn how to best post process. This has WB set to sunlight, color mode at standard, color adjustment at 8Y. Noise reduction turned off. Taken with the DP1M.

100% Crop. Sharpening set at -1 in SPP with no other sharpening applied.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:35 AM
sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #5 · p.78 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Time for some images again from this "problematic" camera. :-)

Facades from Cuba

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:00 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.78 #6 · p.78 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Ah, problems problems problems

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:26 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.78 #7 · p.78 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

edwinIII wrote:
100% Crop. Sharpening set at -1 in SPP with no other sharpening applied.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000CqYMW5_VkX8/s/800/I0000CqYMW5_VkX8.jpg

That crop looks problematic, with odd zones of sharp and soft. Did you try - 1.5 or -2, as suggested? Could it be a JPG compression problem, i.e. the quality is too low?

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:27 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.78 #8 · p.78 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:10 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.78 #9 · p.78 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
That crop looks problematic, with odd zones of sharp and soft. Did you try - 1.5 or -2, as suggested? Could it be a JPG compression problem, i.e. the quality is too low?

Was it windy that day? Wind playing havoc with branches perhaps. Other than that I could imagine that it would be a Jpeg related issue for sure.

Even though some files are said "not to be altered" when uploading within restriction limits to some image hosts there is still a difference between viewing it through preview and/or in photoshop versus online viewing, the latter more often than not looking worse. Why it is so I have yet to figure out.

Edit: Carsten: the soft mush in the middle is hard to explain though.

Apr 09, 2013 at 02:16 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.78 #10 · p.78 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

There are *two* bands of much in the straw, with a layer of sharp in between. It could be JPG compression, since it might align with two bands of straw tips, but it could also be something more inherent in the file.

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwinIII
• •
p.78 #11 · p.78 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:

The wind was gusting frequently which is my guess to the zones of softness. I did look at the image at -1.5 and -2 and the softer zones are still visible in SPP. I did not find the sharpness at -1 to be too much despite some of the zones of softness. I do find myself backing of the sharpness a little more with the DP2M now that I am starting to see some of my previous processing faults. What intrigued me about the DPM files was the perceived sharpness at distance.

Apr 09, 2013 at 05:31 PM
sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.78 #12 · p.78 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Another problematic picture.

Design "Landscape" from Normandy.

Apr 09, 2013 at 06:33 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.78 #13 · p.78 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes Michiel I can see apparent magenta and green "banding" in the picture.

Also the tree foliage has splotches of green and brown.

A very, very problematic picture.

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:05 PM
asbalyan
• •
p.78 #14 · p.78 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

No Merrill Pic... Oldie goldie DP1s modded to IR...
Real problematic result.. Not able to find best sharpening way for IR with this sharp sucker...

Sorry.. No Merrill...
Hopefully someone will post IR with M now....

Apr 09, 2013 at 09:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.78 #15 · p.78 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

edwinIII wrote:
The wind was gusting frequently which is my guess to the zones of softness.

I am not so sure... Some of the softness seems to be parts of straws, whereas other parts of the same straws are tack-sharp. I think it must be something image oriented, somehow...

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM
dovey
• •
p.78 #16 · p.78 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I wrote a few days ago about how this camera was giving the odd image with only half green and half red colours.
I sent the images in to the local Sigma service centre and they feel that there is a problem and wan to see the camera. Will give you more information once Sigma has seen the camera

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:19 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.78 #17 · p.78 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Good old Dublin, Ohio and the crazy Indian head statue that from the road I always thought was some sort of a ruins of an old buildings foundation lol

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:55 AM
inglis
• •
p.78 #18 · p.78 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks Millsart!
was thinking I really needed to go to Egypt

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM
asbalyan
• •
p.78 #19 · p.78 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

millsart wrote:
Good old Dublin, Ohio and the crazy Indian head statue that from the road I always thought was some sort of a ruins of an old buildings foundation lol

Didnt know about this till few days back... Have been to the riverside road hundreds of time...

For the one who wants to know some ref to this statue (Chief Leatherlips Monument),

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9791

Apr 10, 2013 at 05:11 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.78 #20 · p.78 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Apr 10, 2013 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password