Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              76      
       78              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

edwinIII
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.77 #1 · p.77 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Hi Edwin,

Just want to mention that I meant no offense at all in using the term "casual user" in reference to you are anyone else. As far as the overly blue auto white balance in your shot, I think simply using "sunlight" for the white balance might give you dramatically better color in most daylight type shooting. That's what I have found to be the best "canned" WB of the choices for daylight.

I think these cameras produce some of the best digital B&W possible.

None taken at all. I am no expert with the DPM's and my use thus far has been casual. I posted the photos guessing it might generate some comments and lead to some better results. Here is the image using sunlight WB.

100% Crop. These ships are over 2 miles away. You can even make out some of the mooring lines.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.77 #2 · p.77 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Wow, I'm surprised it has so much green in it. An easy fix is to take the eye dropper tool (below the WB setting in SPP) and click on an area of the white ship hulls. That will neutralize the bias in the white by adding a fairly significant amount of magenta. Not perfect but maybe better (I used the eyedropper in ACR to do the same):

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:52 AM
edwinIII
• •
p.77 #3 · p.77 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks for taking a look Tariq. I have fiddled around with the eyedropper some and just never feels right. I typically convert to BW and never make an effort with color (obviously). This photo was taken with the original firmware. I have since updated to the latest. Not sure if this has an effect on the auto WB or not.

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:52 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.77 #4 · p.77 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised it has so much green in it. An easy fix is to take the eye dropper tool (below the WB setting in SPP) and click on an area of the white ship hulls. That will neutralize the bias in the white by adding a fairly significant amount of magenta. Not perfect but maybe better (I used the eyedropper in ACR to do the same):

at 2 miles away the white ship hulls should no longer appear white, so using the eyedropper on them gives a weird look too.

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:46 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.77 #5 · p.77 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes, getting the foreground right seems to lose the accuracy in the background. And the detail in the straw is just bizarre, but perhaps this is just the downscaled version?

I should point out that I find these cameras very interesting and promising, and am not trying to bash them in any way. However, they do clearly have issues and limitations, the thing to do is to make sure that they work well with your own workflow and expectations before buying one.

Personally, I would love to try the DP2M or DP3M, but given my workflow preferences, I would not buy one until SPP (or whatever the Sigma software is called) is not needed, and Lightroom could be used to get decent shots. At that point I would probably buy one to try, especially if it is possible to work in a pure B&W raw workflow.

Edited on Apr 08, 2013 at 07:32 AM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:27 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.77 #6 · p.77 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
Yes, getting the foreground right seems to lose the accuracy in the background.

that's as it should be things at great distance have bluer color than they do up close.

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:30 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.77 #7 · p.77 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The cast seems to be more in the direction of magenta though.

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:31 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.77 #8 · p.77 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes, I find it odd that some commentators have raved about the colour fidelity of the Foveon. Obviously the resolution of fine detail is astonishing and that why I love the DP2M ( and will certainly buy a '3' as well), however I do find the magenta/green thing a slight issue. If one were to be striving for absolute colour fidelity then I think these cameras would give some headaches ( possible quite severe ones). Personally it's not an issue for me as I am only after images that please me and, the majority of the time, the DP2M makes me extraordinarily pleasing images.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:23 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.77 #9 · p.77 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sebboh wrote:
at 2 miles away the white ship hulls should no longer appear white, so using the eyedropper on them gives a weird look too.

Yeah, it's not a perfectly accurate, one click color balance but I find it more pleasing to see the majority of the image with the closer water and reeds more accurate than the tiny ships in the background (which could quickly be made bluer of course using selective color and adjusting the neutrals in Photoshop if desired). The "one click" rendering does have a magenta cast though.

Color is also very subjective. For instance, I am used to remembering the light being bluer/ higher kelvin in San Fransisco simply because every time I have visited, there is always a sea fog affecting things. On the east cost this time of year, the light is pretty warm/ lower kelvin even at noon, particularly where I am in FL (so whites will not appear as blue as they will in the middle of the summer for instance).

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:58 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.77 #10 · p.77 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

A couple flower shots and a cityscape (4 images stitch).

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

veroman
• • • •
p.77 #11 · p.77 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The majority of DP2M images I'm seeing in this thread appear way over-sharpened to my eyes; sharper than real life, in fact. Any number of them exhibit obvious sharpening halos. I have to assume this is the result of over-zealous processing. Come on now ... super-duper-sharpness isn't what matters in a photograph. Not even the very best MF film shots are this sharp.
- Steve

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:45 PM
edwinIII
• •
p.77 #12 · p.77 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
Yes, getting the foreground right seems to lose the accuracy in the background. And the detail in the straw is just bizarre, but perhaps this is just the downscaled version?

I noticed that too and have seen it before in long, straight grasses. In SPP I had sharpness at -1 and in LR added a little, 25/.8. I did notice in my jpg export settings there was additional output sharpening. This may have pushed it too far.

Edwin

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.77 #13 · p.77 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

veroman wrote:
The majority of DP2M images I'm seeing in this thread appear way over-sharpened to my eyes; sharper than real life, in fact. Any number of them exhibit obvious sharpening halos. I have to assume this is the result of over-zealous processing. Come on now ... super-duper-sharpness isn't what matters in a photograph. Not even the very best MF film shots are this sharp.
- Steve

Broken record here...The sharpening in SPP (Sigma's raw software) does some pretty extreme sharpening at default settings so this is again a case of a Sigma default being out of wack. Somewhere between -1 and -2 for SPP would produce a more natural result with less to no over sharpening.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:03 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.77 #14 · p.77 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Broken record here...

Apparently it needs to be said over and over again 'cause few seem to be listening.
- Steve

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.77 #15 · p.77 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

veroman wrote:
Apparently it needs to be said over and over again 'cause few seem to be listening.
- Steve

Probably a case of:

1) Those users who simply use defaults (just like with the canned WB issues).
2) Those users who like the over sharpening and associate it with the foveon "look".

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:27 PM
itai195
• • •
p.77 #16 · p.77 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
Personally, I would love to try the DP2M or DP3M, but given my workflow preferences, I would not buy one until SPP (or whatever the Sigma software is called) is not needed, and Lightroom could be used to get decent shots. At that point I would probably buy one to try, especially if it is possible to work in a pure B&W raw workflow.

One thing I will give SPP credit for is that I find its B&W conversions really nice even with basically default settings (except for sharpening of course). For B&W the DP2M/DP3M are pretty much my favorite cameras right now.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:14 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.77 #17 · p.77 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes, the B&W images look great!

Apr 08, 2013 at 06:24 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.77 #18 · p.77 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

veroman wrote:
- Steve

I am wondering about this statement As long there are no halos: can a photo ever be to sharp?
Aren't we discussing the sharpness of lenses all the time.

May be not so for portraits of people/ ladys above let's say 50. That would be very confronting.
(BTW Although Hulyss Bowman makes beautiful portraits with the DP3m, albeit mostly from the young and beautifull.)
But for architectural, flower or landscape/city shots I don't mind sharpness. When I look at these kind of files of my NEX-7 at 100% it looks like there is a veil in front of the detail. Very confusing

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:59 PM
itai195
• • •
p.77 #19 · p.77 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I think that much of the over sharpened impression is due to the way that detail is rendered in foveon images. They're almost unnaturally detailed sometimes. Some people like that, but I find that I actually tend to turn sharpening way down or even remove clarity in LR at times, at least for portraits. The default sharpening in SPP is way too high for many images.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:04 PM
vaflower
• •
p.77 #20 · p.77 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

itai195 wrote:
One thing I will give SPP credit for is that I find its B&W conversions really nice even with basically default settings (except for sharpening of course). For B&W the DP2M/DP3M are pretty much my favorite cameras right now.

Did you use the color mixer in SPP ? I am hopelessly incompetent in that front. How does the color mixer impact a B&W image ?

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password