Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              73      
       75              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

GeorgW

Upload & Sell: Off
p.74 #1 · p.74 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Im sorry but in this case i dont think its the card. I had the same issue (even worse but also green red halfs). It was also in the raw file and same in JPG.

I sent my camera to sigma. They couldnt reproduce the error but sent me a new one!

Have seen this more than once on the internet now.

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:56 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.74 #2 · p.74 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Never seen this in either my dp1m or dp2m. I agree with the person who mentioned the card...try a different brand.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:57 AM
GeorgW

p.74 #3 · p.74 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

tsdevine wrote:
Never seen this in either my dp1m or dp2m. I agree with the person who mentioned the card...try a different brand.

If its the same error in JPG and raw (if both were taken) i guess its more the camera...

Here is how it looked at my camera (top jpg ooc, bottom jpg from raw)
http://www.abload.de/img/sdim04695aul6.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/sdim0469rawigu95.jpg

And here a link to a similar problem with the DP3 (which is worthless for the most here cause you have to be registered to see it. You can see the color blocks even in liveview on that picture!):
http://www.dslr-forum.de/showpost.php?p=10949788&postcount=5

Its not exactly same but close...

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:04 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.74 #4 · p.74 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Okay, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that the camera is writing the previously processed image to the card while it's starting to process the next shot. If there's a hiccup writing to the card, it's theoretically possible that it's corrupting the processing of the next shot (which would also impact the JPEG.)

Outside of the card, the only other item you really have control over is the battery...and I doubt that's it. Not sure there is much you can do, especially if you sent it back and got another. If it's an issue across all cameras, then maybe there will be a firmware update coming. I've never run into this so I've been lucky. If it's finicky about SD cards, then I would expect that some people would run into the issue and some may not....hence the suggestion. It very well be a wild goose chase though.

-Tim

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:48 AM
edwinIII
• •
p.74 #5 · p.74 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Still trying to get a workflow down for the DPM's. Here is an image from along the James River in Virginia taken with the DPM1.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I000007WVBtQC_vk/s/800/I000007WVBtQC_vk.jpg

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:51 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.74 #6 · p.74 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I am really enjoying using the DP2 Merrill for around-town/street photography, something I have never really like in the past!

2:3

Watered Down by Neil Vanderwolf, on Flickr

Golden Ratio

Over Under by Neil Vanderwolf, on Flickr

5:4

Open by Neil Vanderwolf, on Flickr

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:34 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.74 #7 · p.74 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I have never seen corrupted images like that with my DP2M.

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:15 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.74 #8 · p.74 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Maybe try to reset the camera to factory default and see if the problem persists?

If the problem is apparent on the LCD prior to shooting it could be the camera and if the problem is apparent when trying to view the pictures it could still be the camera - or the card. If the card is somehow mucked up it would affect both Jpeg and RAW I guess.

Have your tried the half and half with 3D-glasses on? Sorry couldn't resist. The other images look great though.

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:47 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.74 #9 · p.74 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

dovey, Sorry to hear your problem with corrupted files.

Never encountered this problem with my copy of the DP2m.

Here some streetscenes from Cuba.

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/cubancolours75.jpg

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/cubancolours68.jpg

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:30 AM
dovey
• •
p.74 #10 · p.74 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks for all the advice, I will try with a new card and if that fails a factory reset.
The preview on the camera does not show this flaw, nor does it in the preview on SPP, it is only when it loads the file info from the hard drive.
I converted to monochrome and that line of demarcation is very clear on this.
Will let you know what happens.
If nothing gets better, time to use that warrantee from Sigma.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.74 #11 · p.74 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

ricardovaste wrote:
Why can't they just make these things quick/responsive ? It surely can't be that difficult I'm sure people would pay a little extra for a quicker processor.

Foveon sensor is different from Bayer Mosaic, and engineering art is not yet developed to handle these files quickly - Bayer Mosaic've been there a long time.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:14 AM
GeorgW

p.74 #12 · p.74 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kibsgaard wrote:
Foveon sensor is different from Bayer Mosaic, and engineering art is not yet developed to handle these files quickly - Bayer Mosaic've been there a long time.

Yes. And its much more data. Its not even slow. You can continue shooting while it works...
I wouldnt pay extra...

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:38 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.74 #13 · p.74 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Compared to the original DP1, the Merrills are lightning fast.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:08 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.74 #14 · p.74 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

tsdevine wrote:
Compared to the original DP1, the Merrills are lightning fast.

The developement is there, it is just a matter of time.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.74 #15 · p.74 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

GeorgW wrote:
Yes. And its much more data. Its not even slow. You can continue shooting while it works...
I wouldnt pay extra...

I would, and I also shoot with high MP/ Bayer-sensor, and it is much faster, so you have to get used to it, but because of the IQ I accept it, and are even thinking about buying one Merrill more.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.74 #16 · p.74 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

dovey wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, I will try with a new card and if that fails a factory reset.
The preview on the camera does not show this flaw, nor does it in the preview on SPP, it is only when it loads the file info from the hard drive.

This points to a computer problem in my experience. I have seen this before with software corruption and/ or hard drive issues (and SD problems). See if you can replicate the issue on a different system to rule out this variable.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:16 AM
edwinIII
• •
p.74 #17 · p.74 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

A couple more from the James River in Virginia. Taken with the DP2M. Still getting use to the color response. I have been looking at Canon files for so long not sure how to deal with it.

Edwin

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000E9kDwIvKOJ4/s/800/I0000E9kDwIvKOJ4.jpg

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000q.DMF3CyskM/s/800/I0000q.DMF3CyskM.jpg

Apr 07, 2013 at 10:50 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.74 #18 · p.74 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kibsgaard wrote:
I would, and I also shoot with high MP/ Bayer-sensor, and it is much faster, so you have to get used to it, but because of the IQ I accept it, and are even thinking about buying one Merrill more.

I wouldn't mind the cameras being faster, but I think Sigma have several higher priority issues to resolve. Improved post-processing workflow, reducing green/magenta splotching, an EVF, and better battery life to name a few.

Apr 07, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.74 #19 · p.74 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

itai195 wrote:
I wouldn't mind the cameras being faster, but I think Sigma have several higher priority issues to resolve. Improved post-processing workflow, reducing green/magenta splotching, an EVF, and better battery life to name a few.

Agree, but the day they also have solved the slow "handling" then the Foveon could make Bayer to "history"

I am OK with the PP, I just do some minor things, then save as Tiff and work another place.

Apr 07, 2013 at 11:18 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.74 #20 · p.74 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes, if they have also solved the colour casts, the ISO problems, and so on

Apr 07, 2013 at 11:20 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.