Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              70      
       72              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Chrissearle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.71 #1 · p.71 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Still enjoying this camera immensely...

At the confluence Foveon by Jeaunse23, on Flickr

Mar 06, 2013 at 11:58 AM
amplexis
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.71 #2 · p.71 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

a pic and a detail from the SD3. i am very pleased.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:57 AM
juan_amores
• • •
p.71 #3 · p.71 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I'm very confused with the banding on my pics. Are there anyone with banding problems in their DP2M that have been send the camera to SIGMA?

Mar 08, 2013 at 10:14 PM
ReneMurea
• • •
p.71 #4 · p.71 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

There is a software update v1.4 for DP2M. Sigma adds face detection and the posibility to shoot B&W in raw mode.
Link for download

Read the instructions. There are two files and both have to be on the card. You'll have to go through the update process twice.

Mar 09, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Pic One

p.71 #5 · p.71 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

ReneMurea wrote:
There is a software update v1.4 for DP2M. Sigma adds face detection and the posibility to shoot B&W in raw mode.
Link for download

Read the instructions. There are two files and both have to be on the card. You'll have to go through the update process twice.

What would be point of shooting B&W in raw mode if you have to go into converter anyway? I assume you don't lose option to revert to color if need be?

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.71 #6 · p.71 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I guess the point is to have a pure B&W shooting workflow. I presume that the option to revert to colour is lost, and that the review images are B&W...

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:14 PM
S Sobrinsky

p.71 #7 · p.71 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The review images are B&W, but you can revert the raw file to color, so I'm also wondering exactly what the point was (unless you're shooting jpg or raw+jpg, want to avoid post, and are happy with what the camera's interpretation is...)

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:44 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.71 #8 · p.71 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

If the sensor was true monochrome it would make sense but throwing away 1/3rd of your pixel data (even though in this case its not hurting your resolution which is cool in itself) just doesn't make sense as there is nothing to be gained.

You can always turn any image into B/W, and maybe for most images that is what you want, bu having the option to maybe try something in color just seems like a nice luxury to have, why tie one hand behind your back for no reason ?

I remember shooting b/w film and getting images back that I'd wish I could of tried in color as well. Now with digital we have the luxury of not having to make those choice until after the fact

Mar 11, 2013 at 07:52 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.71 #9 · p.71 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

S Sobrinsky wrote:
The review images are B&W, but you can revert the raw file to color, so I'm also wondering exactly what the point was

It'll be nice for shooting through color filters for B+W work. Without this, it's harder to preview what you're getting when shooting through, e.g., a deep red filter until you've downloaded and converted the photos on computer --- judging exposure and tonal range is annoying when the whole preview image is shades of red/pink.

Mar 11, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.71 #10 · p.71 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes, if you routinely shoot B&W, having the live and review image in B&W is pretty desirable. Many shooters traditionally accomplish this by shooting RAW+JPEG and having the jpeg settings set up for B&W to force the B&W live/ review image.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

otomg

p.71 #11 · p.71 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

juan amores,
I've just noticed exactly the same banding in some shots of mine, I also was thinking the same thing does it need to go back to sigma ?

Anyone else had this ? you can see it in the sky on the images juan posted it kind of looks like readout issues from the sensor

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnloves/8521172551/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.71 #12 · p.71 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

otomg wrote:
juan amores,
I've just noticed exactly the same banding in some shots of mine, I also was thinking the same thing does it need to go back to sigma ?

Anyone else had this ? you can see it in the sky on the images juan posted it kind of looks like readout issues from the sensor

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnloves/8521172551/sizes/o/in/photostream/

What ISO and how much did you push that file? There seems to be a lot of grain in the sky where the banding appears. I have not seen banding yet at ISO 100 but I do know these Sigma files do not take to extreme post processing very well. Was this B&W conversion in SPP OR on the Tiff in Photoshop/ Lightroom (in which case I have seen issues with all files when pushing them to far)?

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:31 PM
otomg

p.71 #13 · p.71 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thats not my file but juan's , It happened to me on some shots last week .Horizontal intermittent lines mine was shot at 200 iso .It was the first shot's i'd taken with the camera after a few weeks with no use.The firmware was 1.02 and I was using spp 5.5 .I'd gone back to older images and couldn't see it in those files.So I thought the camera had developed a fault. Anyway today I've updated the firmware to 1.04 and done a few shots they don't show it at 100 iso . But I've had good light today today .The banding shots were on an overcast day at 200 iso, I could see the issue in spp so it wasn't caused by pushing them.

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:42 PM
vaflower
• •
p.71 #14 · p.71 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

This camera is really a peculiar type of beast.

Can't really shoot over ISO 200.

Dynamic range is not that good. Very easy to blow highlights. Prone to banding in semi-dark scenes (even at ISO 200, you see it a lot at ISO 400 +)

The button layout is good but no view finder. Even if you buy the external viewfinder for 150$, it is not that helpful anyway since you don't see the focus point with the external viewfinder. Zone focusing is of limited use in sunny scenes since you can't push the iso too high anyway.

But it is spectacular when it works.

Mar 13, 2013 at 08:46 PM
edwinIII
• •
p.71 #15 · p.71 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Just got both the DP1&2M. I am really enjoying the BW images it produces. A couple shots from a stormy walk during lunch.

1. DP2M

2. DP1M

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.71 #16 · p.71 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

edwinIII wrote:
Just got both the DP1&2M.

DP3M on the way I suppose....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:18 PM
edwinIII
• •
p.71 #17 · p.71 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

DP3M on the way I suppose....

Probably.... There is a clarity that I just don't see my 5D2 images. Still learning my way around the files and how best to deal with them. I need to do some more printing to see how this apparent clarity translates to print size.

Edwin

Mar 16, 2013 at 03:05 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.71 #18 · p.71 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

DP2M:

Mar 16, 2013 at 03:50 PM
itai195
• • •
p.71 #19 · p.71 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

vaflower wrote:
Dynamic range is not that good. Very easy to blow highlights.

Yes, I learned that lesson yesterday trying to shoot a sunset with a DP3M for the first time. Have to go back to bracketing and image blending a lot more often now after being spoiled by my D800's range.

Also, I find up to ISO 800 is pretty usable for monochrome. I am really enjoying the B&W results from these cameras and SPP.

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:23 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.71 #20 · p.71 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

rattymouse wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8562240114_903c087833_b.jpg

Interesting and very practical outfit for the youngling

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:11 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password