Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              58      
       60              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

MorrieC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.59 #1 · p.59 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Great capture. Thank you for sharing.
Morrie

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM
juan_amores
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.59 #2 · p.59 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Great image Tim. One more from today.

_SDI0436 por John Loves, en Flickr

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.59 #3 · p.59 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

nandadevieast wrote:
sculptormic..where's the link that you sent me?
Marcus, really useful info, for everyone i guess. I had a panasonic LX3 from this list, which i sold to a friend. Have asked him to get the charger tomorrow. Hopefully it should work. He has a LX1 also so 2 chargers, one of which i can take...

Oh, sorry, just go to ebay and type in the auction number.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Jede

p.59 #4 · p.59 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I got a comprehensive message full of tips and valuable information from marcus riley some days ago based on the raw file of my last image. He suggested overexposing the image a bit, as Foveon sensor seems to be not doing so favorably with underexposure. Encouraged by this, I went out yesterday and tried 5 different landscape scenes, taking ISO100 images on each and every one. I bracketed every scene -1/0/+1 in aperture priority mode, and even went further to do two with -2/-1/0/+1/+2.

I didn't get the lines visible in any image, as it was afternoon with some light still available. However after fixing every image to match my wanted exposure (usually very close to "zero level" metering), I found +1 exposure to produce quality most favorable to my eye. I can't define the reasons why, but I chose exposure from every scene set after correcting the exposure to same level in each individual file. Without knowing which was which, on 4 out of 5 scenes the image exposed over by one stop and corrected in post processing was chosen.

I also tried some rather extreme post processing with one scene in Color Efex Pro, and wasn't able to see the lines. I'll try the bracketing again in a scene with very little light available, when I have time. But from now on, I'll be using +0.3 to +1.0 exposure correction as a standard depending on the scene.

Here's the scene which I intentionally edited to "unrealistic" look.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8383347869_e2bc2b9f2d_c.jpg

Smoke

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:26 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.59 #5 · p.59 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks Borris, Morrie and John. John, love the sky in your shot..great textures in the clouds. Same thing in the snow in your shot Jede.

-Tim

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.59 #6 · p.59 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

If interest, there is a thread here about flash for this baby - good news:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1163961/0#11276333

----

I ordered it yesterday (at last = mainly because of this thread here, thanks), and I ordered it with

1 more battery, original, and I am thinking about ordering those batteries here also, they should be OK = Yes ....??:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FW3UJG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YIQ5A8YK0AP

Also ordered:

Sigma VF21= Any experience ....??

and ordered:

Sigma LH2-01 = The original Hood - some test-site wrote you could use it/the hood with filters, but not sure they are right (they did not have it in hands, only wrote it as a possbility in the test)= if not what to buy to use filters ....??

(also ordered Tamrac 17850 Zipshot Tripod and the quick release)

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM
neilvan
• • •
p.59 #7 · p.59 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kibsgaard wrote:
(also ordered Tamrac 17850 Zipshot Tripod and the quick release)

I am sure some others will chime in with answers to your other questions. I just wanted to say that you will probably want to return that tripod when you get it. I bought one a couple of years ago thinking it would be good for a lightweight solution for hiking. I didn't get around to using it for a couple of months or I just would have returned it. It was completely unstable, shaky and otherwise useless. The absolute worst photographic accessory I have ever bought. Complete waste of money, it went in the garbage...

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.59 #8 · p.59 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

neilvan wrote:
I am sure some others will chime in with answers to your other questions. I just wanted to say that you will probably want to return that tripod when you get it. I bought one a couple of years ago thinking it would be good for a lightweight solution for hiking. I didn't get around to using it for a couple of months or I just would have returned it. It was completely unstable, shaky and otherwise useless. The absolute worst photographic accessory I have ever bought. Complete waste of money, it went in the garbage...

Thanks, and yes, there are VERY mixed reviews, so I take a huge chance, because I also ordered the quick release for it, but this camera here is because I want to try some very light "things" = I have the D3x and a 2 good stable tripods, but all is very heavy, so I am going into the lightness-world here - or at least trying it

added:

"I bought this to take on holiday. It is certainly flimsy and struggles with a heavy lens. The ball head tended to 'droop' after I'd set up and tightened it well. Clearly, it's not a replacement for a 'proper' tripod. However, it's light enough to pack and allowed me to take photos that would have been impossible otherwise"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002WC8862/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM
neilvan
• • •
p.59 #9 · p.59 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kibsgaard wrote:
Thanks, and yes, there are VERY mixed reviews, so I take a huge chance, because I also ordered the quick release for it, but this camera here is because I want to try some very light "things" = I have the D3x and a 2 good stable tripods, but all is very heavy, so I am going into the lightness-world here - or at least trying it

I thought the same thing, oh well, live and learn...

By the way, I have been using a couple of Ricoh DB-65 batteries with my DP2 Merrill, they work great. (Not too sure about those aftermarket batteries though)

Standard filters will fit with the hood mounted but the design will block access to filter if you need to adjust it (polarizer, vari-nd etc). Some people have 'customized' the hood with to open it up which I am considering doing as well, especially for use with the AML-2 close-up lens.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.59 #10 · p.59 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

neilvan wrote:
I thought the same thing, oh well, live and learn...

By the way, I have been using a couple of Ricoh DB-65 batteries with my DP2 Merrill, they work great. (Not too sure about those aftermarket batteries though)

Yes, perhaps you are right, I maybe will regret it. (I have added something above= P60-12))

Thanks for the battery-info - just ordered it (3, so all in all I have 6)

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
neilvan
• • •
p.59 #11 · p.59 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kibsgaard wrote:
Yes, perhaps you are right, I maybe will regret it. (I have added something above)

Thanks for the battery-info - just ordered it (3, so all in all I have 6)

Hopefully it works for you, maybe they have improved it in the past couple of years...

I added some information for you above regarding the hood/filters.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.59 #12 · p.59 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thank you neilvan - I also have the gorilla, so we will see, what is best suited for the situation when travelling. I am not sure they have done them better (I think it is the same model), but you can not compare with good tripods, I know, so it is not sure I will be happy with it, as I normally only goes for very good stuff.

-------------

That will say - about filters and hood (just to be sure, I am not English):

Mount the filter, mount the hood, but then you can not move the filter, unless you take the hood off, but then you can do "somethng" to the hood, so you can ?

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.59 #13 · p.59 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I hated the Gorilla (and I had the heavier duty one for DSLRs); it was a hopeless piece of kit.

The Benro "MeFoto" tripod is excellent, and has a decent ball head thrown in—and is not much heaver than the Gorilla, and it packs up very very small.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:25 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.59 #14 · p.59 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Marcus,
Where did you get this list from...just want to check if there are any canon/nikon/oly and other brand cameras included in the list...?
regards,

marcus riley wrote:
I don't know how useful this is, but here are 2 lists of batteries that SHOULD be the same as the DP2m batteries. The 1st list is the model numbers of the batteries, the 2nd list is the cameras some of these batteries come from. There are so many cameras using this battery that I would think that even in India you should be able to find a charger that works.

1st list:
--For FUJIFILM------------
NP-70
--For LEICA---------------
BP-DC4 BP-DC4-E BP-DC4-J
BP-DC4-U
--For PANASONIC-----------------
CGA-S005 CGA-S005A CGA-S005A/1B
CGA-S005E CGA-S005E/1B DMW-BCC12
--For PENTAX--------------------
D-LI106
--For RICOH---------------------
DB-60 DB-65
--For SAMSUNG-------------------
IA-BH125C

2nd List:
--For FUJIFILM---------------------
Finepix F20 FinePix F40fd FinePix F45fd
FinePix F47fd
--For LEICA-------------------------
C-LUX1 D-LUX 4 D-LUX2
D-LUX3
--For PANASONIC----------------------
Lumix DMC- FX07EF-S Lumix DMC-FS1 Lumix DMC-FS2
Lumix DMC-FX01 Lumix DMC-FX01-A Lumix DMC-FX01-K
Lumix DMC-FX01-P Lumix DMC-FX01-S Lumix DMC-FX01-W
Lumix
...Show more

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:03 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.59 #15 · p.59 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I got the panasonic LX1 charger, but:
it says 4.2V and the DP2M battery says 3.6V...
Edit:
Yes, the charger is working
But don't know if it will harm the batteries in any way because voltage specs are different. The battery says, "use designated charger only..."

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:15 AM
marcus riley
• •
p.59 #16 · p.59 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

nandadevieast wrote:
I got the panasonic LX1 charger, but:
it says 4.2V and the DP2M battery says 3.6V...

It's strange because all of the replacement batteries I've seen for the LX1 are 3.6v or 3.7v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CGA-S005A-1B-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B000FOU0VU/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358412204&sr=1-10&keywords=panasonic+LX1+battery

Also, I just checked on dpreview's test of the LX1, they specify that the LX1 has a 3.7v 1150mah battery:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/2

Maybe a regional difference or maybe that small of a voltage difference doesn't matter?

Here is a genuine panasonic battery that is supposed to be for the LX1 among others. It says 3.7v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CGA-S005A-1B-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B000FOU0VU/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358412204&sr=1-10&keywords=panasonic+LX1+battery

And here is the genuine panasonic charger (DE-A41BD) for the above batter and it says 4.2v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DE-A41BD-Adapter-Battery-CGA-S005A/dp/B004ZVWJQ8/ref=pd_cp_p_3

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:09 AM
marcus riley
• •
p.59 #17 · p.59 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

nandadevieast wrote:
Marcus,
Where did you get this list from...just want to check if there are any canon/nikon/oly and other brand cameras included in the list...?
regards,

I got the list from some listings on taobao.com (it's like our Amazon here in China, where I live now). I was looking for generic batteries for my DP2m and some of the listings had listings about all of the cameras that use similar batteries.

Like I said, I HAVE NOT confirmed all of the cameras on the list, but I did search for a few of them and the batteries really did end up being the same. And in the end, I ended up buying a battery for one of the other cameras on the list, one of the panasonics, because NONE of the local camera stores had DP2m batteries. But if you just show the battery and ask them to give you one that looks similar, I found that most stores will have a battery that can be used in the DP2m.

Chargers are a little bit more mysterious, but I imagine there has to be one out there, even where you are, since so many cameras are using the same battery.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:16 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.59 #18 · p.59 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Marcus, the LX1 battery might be 3.7, you are right....it is the charger which reads 4.2V...not the battery.

marcus riley wrote:
It's strange because all of the replacement batteries I've seen for the LX1 are 3.6v or 3.7v:

Also, I just checked on dpreview's test of the LX1, they specify that the LX1 has a 3.7v 1150mah battery:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/2

Maybe a regional difference or maybe that small of a voltage difference doesn't matter?

Here is a genuine panasonic battery that is supposed to be for the LX1 among others. It says 3.7v:

And here is the genuine panasonic charger (DE-A41BD) for the above batter and it says 4.2v:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DE-A41BD-Adapter-Battery-CGA-S005A/dp/B004ZVWJQ8/ref=pd_cp_p_3

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:17 AM
marcus riley
• •
p.59 #19 · p.59 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Right, that's why I included the last 2 links, showing that the original battery does indeed say 3.7v but the original panasonic charger for that battery says 4.2v. And these are both genuine panasonic products, not 3rd party. That would make me feel a little better about using the 4.2v charger with the DP2m batteries, because it seems that the original votage difference with the panasonic batteries vs. charger voltage was the same.

nandadevieast wrote:
Marcus, the LX1 battery might be 3.7, you are right....it is the charger which reads 4.2V...not the battery.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:21 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.59 #20 · p.59 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yup, you're right. And it does work, i've just charged the batteries.
Thanks a lot Marcus, i sorted this out with your help, without even buying or ordering anything new
Internet can be crazy...

marcus riley wrote:
Right, that's why I included the last 2 links, showing that the original battery does indeed say 3.7v but the original panasonic charger for that battery says 4.2v. And these are both genuine panasonic products, not 3rd party. That makes me feel a little better about using the 4.2v charger with the DP2m batteries, because it seems that the original votage difference with the panasonic batteries vs charger voltage was the same.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:25 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.