Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              45      
       47              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.46 #1 · p.46 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

That looks like a too-low JPG compression quality setting. Could it be? Maybe the JPG quality setting needs to be higher than usual to accommodate the high pixel-level resolution?

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:07 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.46 #2 · p.46 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Brrrrrr that's a lot of nice stuff to sort out.

Well my decision was clear since I sold my Voigtländer R4A, I would sort of never go back to film, although I still have some cameras for sentimental reasons, I guess.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:09 PM
alba63
• • •
p.46 #3 · p.46 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
That looks like a too-low JPG compression quality setting. Could it be?

Yes this is the case - the whole JPEG was only 1,5MB which is way too low for this type of image. 10-15MP is necessary to render that kind of detail.

I removed the link because bad example.

Bernie

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.46 #4 · p.46 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Anyone with good B&W examples to show, please?

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:23 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.46 #5 · p.46 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8353/8299494015_eca54ec814_c.jpg

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.46 #6 · p.46 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

B&W ,-) thanks.
How was your workflow?

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.46 #7 · p.46 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic wrote:
Sharper then the D800E? I red it was sort of simular in detail/sharpness. Well I couldn't know.

At 100% view on screen, the DP Merrills are sharper than the D800E that I owned (and returned due to a number of issues). That said, the D800E is capable of a little more detail with a good lens (and larger print sizes).

Imo, there really is no comparison when looking at an image captured by an interpolated color, bayer based sensor and one captured with a full color foveon sensor, regardless if the bayer sensor employs an AA filter or not. That artificial look is not there with the Merrills with correct exposure and processing (and I concur that proper exposure is much more important with these cameras) - and the default values in SPP will result in waay over sharpening, artifacts and all. I believe "-2" is equivalent to no sharpening in the SPP software with most finding something between that and -1 to be about right, depending on subject matter and the extent of additional post processing. Anyway, one needs to be in complete control - and spend some time learning the in's and outs - of shooting and processing the images from the Merrills to really be able to make an accurate assessment of the cameras capabilities. I think it's more-so true of this camera and it's software than most conventional cameras.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:15 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.46 #8 · p.46 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8211/8330611062_21abdc3781_c.jpg

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.46 #9 · p.46 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Mysterious. Fishing?

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.46 #10 · p.46 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis Cunha wrote:
B&W ,-) thanks.
How was your workflow?

Hi,
SPP (neutral/auto} to PS (TIFF)
BW conversion in PS, different sliders draged to hearts content

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.46 #11 · p.46 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic wrote:
Mysterious. Fishing?

Not fishing...just mysterious
It was extremely cold and foggy morning...she is feeling cold..

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.46 #12 · p.46 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thank you Nandadevieast.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.46 #13 · p.46 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Any thoughts about Merrill´s vs Fuji X-pro1?
Foveon vs "traditional" (it´s not the same old Bayer; it´s an X-trans says Fuji) sensor. Both without AA filter.
Both compact. Fuji is a bit more expensive but... more lens. Merrill=one lens.

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:46 PM
juan_amores
• • •
p.46 #14 · p.46 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Happy new year!!

_SDI0263 por John Loves, en Flickr

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.46 #15 · p.46 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis Cunha wrote:
Any thoughts about Merrill´s vs Fuji X-pro1?
Foveon vs "traditional" (it´s not the same old Bayer; it´s an X-trans says Fuji) sensor. Both without AA filter.
Both compact. Fuji is a bit more expensive but... more lens. Merrill=one lens.

High ISO, Fuji wins easily. Base ISO, the Fuji is outclassed, particularly when it comes to fine landscape detail, which is an area where the Fuji is really not that good. Both are fairly specialized tools imo and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you are a landscape shooter and want ultimate quality in a compact camera and are able to shoot at base ISO, I don't think there is anything that can touch these DP Merrill's.

Of course, the best solution is Kit's - own and use both for their specific strengths.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.46 #16 · p.46 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq, as always, the voice of wisdom (and not just because you are quoting me!). Seriously, though, the pair are a truly excellent combination.

The X-E1 is (for me) the maturing of mirrorless. The UI and ergonomics are superb (especially if you get the grip, which also centres the tripod hole); you will never need the menus once set up, and you can use auto ISO 6400 with impunity, under any kind of lighting. It's that good. The Fuji sensor does an amazing job with colour, and especially skin tones. The 35/1.4 is one of the best ever lenses I have used—and that covers a lot of territory, as many of us here know. As well, because auto ISO works so well, I have taken to setting shutter and aperture (to freeze movement and to get the look I want, DOF-wise) and letting the ISO take care of itself. For naturalistic and fast work, this is the best camera I have used, though when the light gets lower, AF performance does drop. It is no DSLR in this regard—but like the DP2 M, no one minds being photographed by it.

The DP2 M has the most intelligent UI I have ever used. It is simpler than the X-E1 and, in its niche, simply untouchable in IQ, in my view. It is very light, even with the Freniac grip, and when the pano kit arrives I will put up an images that shows the lightest solution to the eternal question of what do you take in to the bush to shoot trees, landscapes, water—well, nature in any form.

But it's more than a one-trick pony. While I was down at my Mother's place for Christmas, I make portraits with both cameras: the Fuji made the 'slice of life on the fly'-type documentary portraits; the DP2 M made the 'please sit here and sit still' more formal ones—and both show quite different facets of the same people. I like both, very much.

Oh, and a Happy New Year to all; we get the new year before all of you!

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:55 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.46 #17 · p.46 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit, when you say XE-1 you mean X-Pro1?
Thanks.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.46 #18 · p.46 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit, but as the Merrills RAW limited workflow, is it true that there´s problems with the Fuji X-pro1 RAW; i.e. once their X-trans sensor are finally worked out in the decoding of the Raw converters like Adobe and Capture One it will be capable of rendering quite unique files. How good will they be vs the Merrills?
My english makes sense ,-)?

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.46 #19 · p.46 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis Cunha wrote:
Kit, when you say XE-1 you mean X-Pro1?
Thanks.

Same sensor, same lenses, same processing, same image quality...as far as I know. XE-1 is EVF only. E-Pro1 offers optical and EVF, though the EVF is of lesser quality than the one in the XE-1. I had the X-Pro1 for a short while.

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:13 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.46 #20 · p.46 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I did not care for the ergonomics of the X-Pro 1; I handled one for a while in a shop in Torino when they first came out. And I had an X-100, so was not convinced re. the virtues of the hybrid finder, either.

So, the X-E1, with the same sensor, smaller, lighter, and EVF only ticked all the boxes for me.

@ Luis: I am only shooting JPEGs presently from the X-E1: and they are amazing, as many others have said. Nothing I am doing at the moment has archival value, so I am not even shooting raws in anticipation of the day raw processors can handle these files. (Of course, I will if the opportunity/necessity arises; I retired from commercial shooting this year.)

My sense/feeling is that the Merrill files will still be the sharper, with finer microcontrast/details, than the X-E1 files, even processed through a decent raw converter, but if I find that's not the case, I will be even happier. All I have wanted is a single system for years now.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.