Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              43      
       45              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.44 #1 · p.44 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Here is my setup for Pano's. It is a bit heavy but I could get this Roundabout NP for a good price. I think I can hang an MF camera on it as well.
I must say that I do most simple pano's out of hand because I like to saunter about light.

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/pano2.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/pano.jpg

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:06 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.44 #2 · p.44 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit, you gonne reach post 3000! Congratulations and a happy New year!

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.44 #3 · p.44 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Pano. Right ,-)

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.44 #4 · p.44 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks Michiel, and the compliments of the season to you all.

Luis; thanks. As soon as the kit arrives (it is much smaller than Michiel's) I will post an image or two. The DP2 M is perfect for panos, in my view, because it's like a tiny view camera when mounted on a tripod. I use a Hoodman Loupe on the back of mine; I will shoot the whole portable setup once I have sorted it out —about ten day's time, I would say.

Cheers, KL

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:56 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.44 #5 · p.44 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/mers5.jpg

Dec 28, 2012 at 05:37 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.44 #6 · p.44 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks Kit .-)
Im curious about how close is possible to focus with that close up lens.
----
Does anybody played the Cartier Bresson role with this "Foveon-Leica"?
I´m not much about that "moment" in photography (or emulate others) but... staying still, paying attention, thinking about B&W values and snap the moment. Would be fun.

Bresson didn´t look for crispy, exact images but instead the whole construction of the moment. O tiny fast camera was needed and used and almost the same lens. A Merrill is also that camera.
I can´t stay still for hours, paying attention, drawing with my eyes waiting to press the shutter with a dsrl+lens (1,5 kg). It´s not too discreet either. .-)

Even if it´s not my style I like to try other peoples shoes as an exercise. I begin to like and respect more their work and there´s always something to learn.
Like children; learning by imitation until the original voice is revealed.

Dec 28, 2012 at 07:27 AM
cjrpostma
[X]
p.44 #7 · p.44 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I have the AML-2 close up lens for this camera and one can focus fairly close. I'll have to go home and check to give a useful estimate. I can't Google for it right now. Image quality is amazing from it though. A few pages back, the picture of the cat that I posted is with the AML-2 attached. I don't think I cropped much, if at all. The cat was also moving all over so it was very hard to focus on him. I'm sure I could have gotten closer if he was still. I also used it to take some very close head shots. I could pretty much fill the entire frame with a face if shooting vertical. I don't remember if I could have gotten closer.

Also, I just received the RRS grip set and it is amazing. I love this camera even more now.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.44 #8 · p.44 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

You mean this cat?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62964965@N05/8257775415/

Which grip is that?

Thank you

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.44 #9 · p.44 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The AML-2 close focusses to about 20cm, from memory. And (again from memory) it behaves like a 75mm lens.

Re. using the DP2M as a street shooter: I have had no problems there, for a number of reasons: no one finds the appearance of the camera threatening in any way; I have asked a number of people sitting around on the street if I could take their photo; all said yes. The camera is extremely quiet; the sound of the shutter is not audible at norm street sound levels.

The AF works quickly; there is an MF function, too that shows DOF overlaid on the actual distance the camera is focussed on. As well, pressing the centre button magnifies the area being focussed on and if on a tripod, this allows you to check the focus near and far (by moving the focus mark to different areas of the screen and magnifying these). That magnified view does not show the stopped-down effects though; as far as I can tell, the magnified view is showing you what the sensor sees at ƒ2.8, but it is useful for assessing where in the image you want to put the focus point.

So, I think this little camera might prove more flexible that might first appear.

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:32 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.44 #10 · p.44 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/8320873523_e2048a95b0_c.jpg

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:37 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.44 #11 · p.44 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/8320873665_4ed942e1ea_c.jpg

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:41 AM
Collin Orthner

p.44 #12 · p.44 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Beautiful work nandadevieast! Colours are fabulous.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.44 #13 · p.44 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8224/8324061087_ddab9a9def_c.jpg

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:06 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.44 #14 · p.44 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Collin Orthner wrote:
Beautiful work nandadevieast! Colours are fabulous.

+1. Beautiful shots.

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:34 AM
alba63
• • •
p.44 #15 · p.44 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

While I haven't tried a dp2m, I have been (very recently only) very interested by it and browsed through a lot of threads in forums etc. and downloaded lots of samples, including a lot of full rez plus a few RAW files.
After my first enthousiasm and when I looked at the files on my calibrated and sharp monitor, I finally was not too impressed by what I saw. Not the camera side, that is clear, but the photographic results.

What I don't like in what I see:
1. General image impression is kind of like disturbed by overly enhanced tiny "detail specks" that give the files a rough, rippled look where my eyes are somehow lost in myriads of dots instead of what the photo actually shows.
2. When viewing in large view or even 100% view, lots of false detail and grid- like artefacts become visible. For larger objects (like any digital camera) things can look amazingly good, for smaller frequency detail the rendition gets different but not better than Bayer pattern files.
3. Colour is "different"; often I find the dp2m colour to have low saturation which is basically ok, but what really disturbs me is a certain kind of tone mapping/ HDR look of the files.

In the end the idea of getting LF resolution in a compact camera format is too sweet, but my impression is that the Merrill is only apparently close to the large format.

I also must say that the better 20+ MP cameras with traditional bayer matrix, like my Canon 5dII or the Nex-7 generally don't make me want more sharpness or detail.

In respect to the limits of sensor resolution I might like the blurring approach of the classic digital cameras better than the rough filterless approach. But that may be personal preference. I used to shoot with the Kodak SLR/n and also with a Mamiya ZD (SLR version), and I liked the Mamiya files quite a bit (much better quality than the Kodak), but the lack of Bayer mask + no AA filter in the dp2m seems a bit over the top to me.

Maybe some of those issues (like the fake HDR look) can and will be adressed by new RAW converters like Lightroom or others, until then I don't feel to much attracted to the merrill.

And it is true: I only looked to files on the monitor, no printing done.

So sorry for being the devil's advocate here, I had high hopes after the first look at the Merrill, but in the end I don't think I would like the results this camera gives. (I don't care high ISO or all the bells and whistles Sigma does NOT give).

Cheers
Bernie

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:05 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.44 #16 · p.44 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Bernie: it is always interesting to hear thoughts on and experiences with cameras regardless of they are in favor of the discussed camera or not. So, don't hold back.

I am quite interested in the DP 1M since it ticks a few boxes for me but since there aren't any around to tinker with over here I would have to buy one unfondled so I appreciate all input.

/ Henrik

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.44 #17 · p.44 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Generally, I find the look interesting, but as is no secret, I am really not a fan of the colours. If I were to buy one, it would almost certainly be for B&W tripod-based usage. For this, it seems to be quite good, although I have not developed an interest serious enough yet to start downloading raw files...

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:43 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.44 #18 · p.44 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I am not really in a rush to get any camera so I quite enjoy NOT being an early adopter.

Sigma has always been Stigma to me after the crap lenses they made ages ago, but I won't deny they have pulled off quite a few decent lenses over the past years. In some of the files I have seen so far there is some strange color in shades/shadows. I am not too convinced as of yet though I have to say the level of small detail in some shots is very promising for such a camera.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.44 #19 · p.44 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Bernie, an interesting post.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but in my casual experiments with ETTR (+1.0–1.7 EV, when making image, then pulling back in processing) with this camera I found that this 'HDR'-like' look manifested itself, along with desaturated colours—and I have concluded that this camera needs accurate exposure (meaning using its meter to determine where it thinks an image should be exposed) more than any others I have used recently. And I should say that this is using the Finepix software to make TIFFs with all settings at standard, then importing the results to Aperture).

And Herb on this thread from memory recommends -1 on the sharpness control using a similar workflow for his landscapes, I assume partly to avoid the impression of over-sharpness.

I think that a false impression of these files can be gained from any really good monitor—unless your goal is to display/view images at 100%. The same slightly oversharpened–looking files can print with a realism that's hard to get elsewhere.

If you have access to the raw files, try dialling back the sharpening in SilkyPix and then try printing the result—you might be pleasantly surprised; I know I have been.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:29 PM
alba63
• • •
p.44 #20 · p.44 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks for those tips. And yes I am very well aware that my impression is like from swimming on dry ground. I may start to process a few RAW files and print them out with less than zero sharpening dialled in in the Sigma software.

Generally my impression is that after being a mid level maker for many years, Sigma has been gaining momentum. Some of the more recent lenses like the 35/1,4 seem to be on par or even better with anything out there... And principally I applaud Sigma for their courage to further develop the Foveon approach. Their camera business is small, but they may end up - in a few years - with a world class camera, like a high rez FF version of the dp2.

Bernie

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.