Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              37      
       39              90       91       end

Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.38 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Sorry jv11 but I wouldn't know. I never delt with dark frame substraction!?, but my technical kowledge is limited, sorry

A picture instead...

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:51 PM
U.C.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.38 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Limburg near the German border (Aachen)?

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.38 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

As everyone here has noted, the details SOOC is amazing, and the files do have a 3D quality about them.

See this one taken yesterday (the hill we walk on most days):

And the one below is a 100% crop, from the focus point:

My mistake (thanks Carsten); my original crop was smaller than the output size I specified—so Aperture enlarged and softened it

© Kit Laughlin 2012

Looking South

SIGMA DP2 Merrill    30mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

rock/grass texture

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 01:34 AM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.38 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

U.C. wrote:
Limburg near the German border (Aachen)?

This is Normandy, Haute Normandy near Dieppe.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.38 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The 100% version looks v. soft here; razor sharp in Aperture. I tried exporting the crop at 72 and 92ppi, but no difference. Advice appreciated!

Fixed; thanks Carsten.

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 01:34 AM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.38 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The PPI doesn't change the way it looks online. Make sure you aren't inadvertently upscaling to a certain size.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.38 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Took mine to Yosemite, it was more about family time then a photo trip, but still got a few shots off with my DP2M. Detail and resolution on natural subjects like these is just amazing.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:43 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.38 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
The 100% version looks v. soft here; razor sharp in Aperture. I tried exporting the crop at 72 and 92ppi, but no difference. Advice appreciated!

Fixed; thanks Carsten.

If it is really 100%, it should be fine.

Are you sure the original shot is compleetly in focus? I check all my files in SPP at 100% first to see if it sharp where I want it to be sharp, because it may look sharp compared to what you are used to, but at 100% there is no escape.
And it does somehow show in the downsized webfile as well.

Michiel

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:02 PM
andrenth

p.38 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Is there any word on the DP1M apart from the LL review? Anyone here compared it to the DP2M?

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:35 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.38 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

andrenth wrote:
Is there any word on the DP1M apart from the LL review? Anyone here compared it to the DP2M?

Well some people did in the getdpi forum and the consensus is: The files are still great but the 19mm lens doesn't have the "punch" of the 30mm. The latter is somehow just plain perfect in combination with the Foveon sensor.

Michiel

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.38 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I have both the DP1M and the DP2M. The DP1M I have has really wowed me since the first exposure and I found the optical performance much better than the samples I had seen beforehand. The lens does have something special about it's rendering imo. In contrast, the DP2M sort of seems more clinical by comparison but that could just be because I have not used it as much. Both are close enough in performance that if one is choosing, it should be based upon preferred focal length.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:25 PM
P.F.
• •
p.38 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I have both for a few days to test them out. For me the lens of the DP1 is good but the one of the DP2 is simply better. Better wide open, better corners, less chromatic aberrations.

One from the DP1:

with a 100% crop :

And from the DP2:

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:00 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.38 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

From yesterdays from the series.

Michiel

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM
bayvillian
• •
p.38 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I just put some dp2m pics up on my blog.
Check it out and leave a comment if you like my work.
Thanks all
http://mattstallone.com/long-island-photography-blog/
view in full screen

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:25 PM
cjrpostma

p.38 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Question on post processing in Sigma Photo Pro:

When I first double click on a file in Sigma Photo Pro, it shows a preview of the image and starts loading it all the way for me to edit. The preview of the image has a decent white balance and looks good however when it finishes loading it, the colors and photo is completely messed up. How do I retain the original "preview" of the image? I've tried all options and the only thing that works is taking time to dial the image back to where it started. I've tried loading the original X3F, auto setting, etc. Any tips please?

Sorry, I haven't read every word of this thread but I did skim to see if someone answered this already.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.38 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I have noticed the same phenomenon as cjrpostma. Should we start a separate SPP thread?

I have a related question: is there any way of adjusting one images in the full-rez window, save that (say, for example, +1.3 EV pull, and custom WB), close the big window, and apply that saved setting to other images? The only way I have seen to do this is to open each file one-by-one and apply the setting to each opened file—genuinely lame!

Nonetheless, I love the camera. It has the most intelligent UI of any camera I have ever used, personally or professionally, and it is the only camera that I find myself actually using the LCD for composition (well, no choice really), but the point is that it can be done, if using the UWE stick. On a tripod, I use the Hoodman loupe. More to come, and one for Michiel (I was in Sydney, a place with *shops*, and saw a window that I thought you might like!). KL

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:23 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.38 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

cjrpostma wrote:
Question on post processing in Sigma Photo Pro:

When I first double click on a file in Sigma Photo Pro, it shows a preview of the image and starts loading it all the way for me to edit. The preview of the image has a decent white balance and looks good however when it finishes loading it, the colors and photo is completely messed up. How do I retain the original "preview" of the image? I've tried all options and the only thing that works is taking time to dial the image back to where it started. I've tried loading the
...Show more

What you see first in the preview is not what the file is supposed to look like. It takes sort of two steps and the final stage is what you captured. (After the first "step" my files look unsharp and with too little saturation.) Then it is time to manupulate the files.
In my case the files look rather good and I don't have to do a lot in SPP besides may be on the white balance and Fill light etc. The setting remain the same as i sat it the last time.
So may be your settings are no good from the start and that's why it turns out so badly at the end of the downloading from the viewer into SPP
Also have a look in your preference settings for saving etc.

I have now another problem on my main computer. SPP doesn't work at all even after removing the program and installing a new version. Strange! On my notebook everything works fine.

Michiel

@ Kit; did you take a shot of that facade?

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:48 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.38 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Regarding the preview image, I believe it's probably from the small embedded jpeg within the raw file. I have noticed this as well and thought the preview image looked extremely neutral. It does seem like it would be a great starting point for PP. SPP, by default, obviously applies a LOT of post processing to these foveon images. My guess is that when other raw options show up, such as Raw Developer, the raw image one starts with will look more like this preview image.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.38 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq, and Michiel; yes, that sounds very sensible (re. reading the embedded jpeg).

Michiel, I took quite a few, and processed them this afternoon. I will review tomorrow and post one or two.

I am still finding that I like this camera very much. It is very discrete (and quiet, too) so apart from no viewfinder, is easy to use and does not threaten people. I asked a few people if I could take their picture, and all said yes—a surprise. Rendering of leaves and really fine detail is amazing. I know Herb and others reduce the sharpening to -1 or thereabouts, but I find the standard setting looks very good on my calibrated monitor (and I never look at magnifications of more than 100%, and use 50% as a guide to how it will print (and IIRC, that was your suggestion long ago, Tariq!)

I am using a Cokin three stop soft grad for the outdoor work; very light and portable. More to come.

Edited on Dec 02, 2012 at 09:08 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:13 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.38 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic wrote:
I have now another problem on my main computer. SPP doesn't work at all even after removing the program and installing a new version. Strange! On my notebook everything works fine.

Windows or Mac?

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:09 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password