Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I saw the exact type of weakness outside of the central 2/3rds area when looking at the official DP1M samples...and it is similar to the 19 on the NEX-7 (though the optical design is a little different). I wish the Sigma 30 2.8 was available in all mounts. It really is an exceptional lens imo.

No kidding. I know that the DP2M has more resolution than the NEX-7, but I'd be curious to read MR's comments about the Sigma 30 on the NEX-7. I noticed that he tends to use zooms on the NEX-7, so I wonder if he's giving it a fair shake? The NEX-7 may be a little closer than he's implying, with the Sigmarit.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:15 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

this is why I'd guess we'll have some small FFs in a year--what a little beauty!!! best backpacking camera ever!

jeez I should sell something.

the new M and one of these would not be a bad combo

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:44 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

uhoh7 wrote:
this is why I'd guess we'll have some small FFs in a year--what a little beauty!!! best backpacking camera ever!

jeez I should sell something.

the new M and one of these would not be a bad combo

Only downsize is that lack of IS and high ISO performance mean its often going to need a tripod, which is fine and good, except its one more thing to have to carry.

I don't miss my EM-5 per say, but I sure did love how the amazing IBIS and decent high ISO allowed me to shoot handheld so many times I otherwise would of needed a tripod, such as some night cityscape shots

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:49 PM
glacierpete
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I have a little Leica table top tripod with me. It weights next to nothing and fits in a coat pocket. There is always something around to put it on, or just press it against a tree or column in a building. Works perfectly fine with the dp2 merrill. I got great 25sec interior shots in old churches this way.

The biggest problem is the limited dynamic range especially in some landscape shots, where very dark areas become black. But this is a problem with the raw software and not the sensor.
On the other hand it is easy to shoot HDR with it, because it allows bracketing from -3 to +3 in 1/3 stop increments.

There is so much detail and information in these images, that I think a full frame sensor is not even necessary. I get better DOF with an APS sized sensor for landscapes and architecture.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I also have two very light tripods, a gorrila pod and an ultra light slik, the former is 250 grams or something.

However most of my backcountry forays inevitably evolve into desperate races with the sun, so I must be able to shoot fast at most locations--I don't even get off my motorbike at most of my shoot spots.

But one might devise a fast shooting method even with the sigma--leave the camera on the tripod etc.

The nex rides in a small pouch attached to my armour support belt---very easy to pull out. It is a fairly brutal affair with the nex--and the failure of my very first one was due to rough handling I'm sure.

here i am peering into the original nex:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6184/6110825607_d33892cae3_b.jpg

The new M is going to be too big, i fear, to strap on my body----but maybe I can engineer something.

Cruzing around forums where guys are using the merril some were saying that it's near a toss up between the nex-7 and the merril in real world backcountry shooting--but I can't see an N7 approaching the detail of that arieal shot, so I'm still unclear whether we are in medium format territory or not.

But, like you guys I love to see the milestones fly by

We should have some great technical cameras in the next decade. Some, I hope, will be afforable.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

uhoh7 wrote:

here i am peering into the original nex:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6184/6110825607_d33892cae3_b.jpg

Is this india by any chance?
I think the biggest bummer for me is the battery life
Apparently it will only last for 40 to 50 shots. Some people can get little more than that, albeit, with the help of
desperate measures. Not good at all, especially when this one is a small camera otherwise very suitable for travel.
So, 10 batteries for 400 shots. How many chargers, then? And lack of power in trekking wilderness...
How will i deal with this?

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

nandadevieast wrote:
I think the biggest bummer for me is the battery life
Apparently it will only last for 40 to 50 shots. Some people can get little more than that, albeit, with the help of
desperate measures. Not good at all, especially when this one is a small camera otherwise very suitable for travel.
So, 10 batteries for 400 shots. How many chargers, then? And lack of power in trekking wilderness...
How will i deal with this?

Holy crap, I can't believe I didn't pick up on this earlier. I heard the battery was bad, but that's like 1999 bad.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I'd like to get it once somebody has them in stock.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:19 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

In regards to the battery life, I've heard if you change the default auto shutoff to 15 seconds that you can get a lot more shots out of a battery. Supposedly it starts fairly fast...so I'm not sure how much of a pain that would be.

I'm planning on picking one up in the next few months too. Hope Sigma's factory is cranking them out.

-Tim

Sep 28, 2012 at 05:01 AM
GRM
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

alwang wrote:
Holy crap, I can't believe I didn't pick up on this earlier. I heard the battery was bad, but that's like 1999 bad.

Don't believe everything you read online. You have to see it for yourself to believe it. 40 shots out of a battery is BS. Before I got my DP2 I've read tons of complains where people said the bat would last 80-90 shots. Trust me, as I have and use the dp2 every day, I can easily shoot 200 RAW's and with lot of playback on the LCD. I wish the big guys had it in stock to buy one.

Edited on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The more I think about it, the more I think at $1000, it's not worth it especially if you already have a NEX system. The Sigma 30mm is pretty much the same lens even though there might be an element or two off. The performance seems extremely similar.

Will a DP2 Merill out resolve a NEX-7 in a 16x20 print?

I could see it possibly being so at base ISO in daylight but in every other situation, the NEX-7 will give you better results and be far more flexible in every regard including shootability.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

ReneMurea wrote:
Don't believe everything you read online. 40 shots out of a battery is BS. Before I got my DP2 I've read tons of complains where people said the bat would last 80-90 shots. Trust me, as I have and use the dp2 every day, I can easily shoot 200 RAW's and with lot of playback on the LCD. I wish the big guys had it in stock to buy one.

Well, the official specs from Sigma list the battery life at 97 shots, so it seems unlikely that it would be much better than that? Maybe the battery life is just extremely temperature sensitive?

http://sigma-dp.com/DP2Merrill/specifications.html

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

FlyPenFly wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think at $1000, it's not worth it especially if you already have a NEX system. The Sigma 30mm is pretty much the same lens even though there might be an element or two off. The performance seems extremely similar.

Will a DP2 Merill out resolve a NEX-7 in a 16x20 print?

I could see it possibly being so at base ISO in daylight but in every other situation, the NEX-7 will give you better results and be far more flexible in every regard including shootability.

I think I agree with your overall conclusion, but from the samples we've seen, I'd say it's an absolute certainty it'll out resolve the NEX-7 at base ISO in daylight.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM
GRM
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

alwang wrote:
Well, the official specs from Sigma list the battery life at 97 shots, so it seems unlikely that it would be much better than that? Maybe the battery life is just extremely temperature sensitive?

http://sigma-dp.com/DP2Merrill/specifications.html

I'm talking about the previous version, DP2

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

alwang wrote:
I think I agree with your overall conclusion, but from the samples we've seen, I'd say it's an absolute certainty it'll out resolve the NEX-7 at base ISO in daylight.

Maybe what we need to do is increase/scale up the DP2M to 24mpx and see how it handles it

Or scale both up to 48mpx and see what they look like 1:1.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM
RoySussex
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

From Lloyd Chambers' blog (http://diglloyd.com/):
"Look, here’s the executive summary: intriguing sensor, high noise, world’s worst autofocus, worst LCD I’ve seen in a long time, no built-in flash, plastic build, bulky and not pocketable, slippery body with no grip and boxy shape, better menus than last year, no support for RAW except from unusable software. Well, you do have to give Sigma credit for including two (2) batteries, presumably because of the very short battery life."
He puts similar sentiments in even more pithy terms elsewhere too. His comments on the crapware RAW converter make the above sound mild.
But it's one of the flavours of this month so the forum hysteria runs high.
Roy

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

alwang wrote:

I think I agree with your overall conclusion, as well, alwang. Granted, I'd like to see a side by side of the NEX-7 with the Sigma 30 vs. the DP2M, to see just how much extra resolution we're talking about (once both files are optimized in the raw converter,) especially since it seems like the NEX-7 will have the DR advantage, so there still could be reason to choose the NEX-7 at base ISO.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Right, so if it turns out you have:

Lens Interchangability
Great Adobe RAW Compatibility
Relatively Fast AF
Great Battery Life
Similar Optical performance
Better Dynamic Range
Very high resolution tilt screen
high resolution EVF
Possibility to use other lenses including Zeiss lenses with Fast AF
Great Video performance
three control wheels

Why would you get a Sigma DP2m with its slow operation, crappy screen, crappy battery life, terrible post workflow, etc.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

That's kinda what I'm thinking, FlyPenFly. It's certainly a lot to give up for a little more resolution.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM
dcjs
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Why would you get a Sigma DP2m with its slow operation, crappy screen, crappy battery life, terrible post workflow, etc.

Maybe for the same reason you were raving about the SD1 files about 4 weeks ago.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.