Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Perhaps CornerFix would be good here?

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:49 AM
contas
• • •
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

OK, purple (fringing), magenta (casting), green (casting) are nightmare colors.Whenever I saw them on my Foveon (Raw or Jpeg) pics, I searched for their origine, and drawed a tiny conclusion for the next shooting.These colors give the images a cheap looking and unforgivetable feeling for the wellknown Foveon and Zeiss lens .
Cornerfix gives a weak green edge correction and it's still there after fixing, so no real cure this time.Don't know other's experiences?.

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:05 AM
pingflood
• • • •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
Perhaps CornerFix would be good here?

Beat me to it, if the color shifts are consistent couldn't you just use this to fix it?

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:25 AM
dmbphotography
• •
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

For anyone in Australia, they are very hard to get. I was told C.R.Kennedy ( Sigma dealer) was getting a shipment in this week, only to get an email saying the shipment wasn't even enough to cover the backorders and if I still wanted one, I would have to wait another month with full payment up front.

Needless to say, I just ordered from B&H.

Ps...Im selling an original DP2 if anyone is interested -

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:46 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I've got an original DP1 for sale on ebay (UK) if anyones interested. Fantastic camera, but too slow for my needs

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:08 AM
inglis
• •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

While I am probably too color blind to be bothered by these colors, I do find it more than interesting to see what others do to lessen or remove them.

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:29 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I admit it, after trying really hard I still can't see the color shift. You guys must have super eyes.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:48 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Even only on my iphone5 it's easy to see the shift in the lay recent example

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:54 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I see a shift in the sky on the right side where it seems to go slightly cyan, but to me it just looks like a natural gradation in the sky color that happens as you get closer to the sun. I think it might be easier to see the problem if it was a different shot.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Colorshift.

Sony Nex 7 with Novoflex adapter / Leica Super-Elmar M 18 mm f/3.8 @f/8.
A lens that has been designed with digital in mind; the Leica M8.

Herb

Moonrise over Drenthe

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:31 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Now THAT ^^ would bother the heck out of me, the DP2 is so subtle, but the NEX/18mm is pretty horrible

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

millsart wrote:
I don't know, some apparently see magenta and cyan, while I see a pretty image of a grassland area with some grazing animals and a body of water in the distance in the above image.

Does that mean there isn't a color shift there ? No, maybe there is, I personally don't see, but then again, I don't really go out of my way to look for things like that unless its radically apparent, such as when I tried to use a Contax 21mm on my NEX7...talk about a color shift!

If you have to really try to find it though, you
...Show more

I see same picture as you (well as much as possible given everyone see color differently, not mentioning different LCDs etc.). And ofc I think Herbs pics are pretty good.

But I really dont need to try to find it. I saw it first time I saw that pic. Its not some major problem, just tiny annoying problem that can be easily cured (most likely) by CornerFix, or profiling in Capture One, or quite recently profiling in new LR (if Im correct theres color shift correction function now).

What suprises me is 1) Sigma knows about this issue 2) Sigma did nothing to either prevent it or fix it. Its caused by IR filter, which most likely is in very similar position as on all Sigma cams, so right behind lens. In their dSLRs its between mirror and lens. Obvious advantage for IR pics (also works sorta as dust prevention), less obvious disadvantage which causes light rays to do similar stuff as wide-angles on NEX-7. Only in this case its more than just wide-angles..

For SD1M theres quite easy (but not exactly cheap) solution. And thats buying IR filter for lens itself while removing that one behind it. Like on Leica M8. And for DP2M, only SW is solution.

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 08:13 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Girls are best!

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:29 PM
contas
• • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

For SD1M theres quite easy (but not exactly cheap) solution. And thats buying IR filter for lens itself while removing that one behind it.

This is fruitless but expensive tip: the IR cut filter located behind or in front the lens always causes green vignetting for certain wide lens ( Angle of view >= 60 degree). Cornerfix released new version, that I will try for sure.Here the link for B+W cut filter vignetting explanation and how to get a cure:hope some helps.

http://www.davidkennardphotography.com/blog/340-visible-light-photography-with-the-fuji-is-pro.xhtml

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:23 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

If the IR filter is not the hot-mirror type, but the IR absorbtion type, then it could work. Note that IR absorbtion filters are less effective than hot-mirror filters, and the cutoff is less exact.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:00 AM
RickPerry
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hulyss,

I am amazed at how much resolution you get with that DP2M - the crop on the model's face is outstanding! BTW - I don't know what the colors were originally - but these look real to me.

Rick

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:16 AM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:27 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

At higher ISO and or when pushing color with the X3F files one can become aware of purple/green color blotches, but also the appearance of a purple coloration in the centre and a green coloration on the left and right edges.
When going to the extreme you will get a green image with a purple centre.
This is quite different to the Ray Angle effect of wide angle range finder lenses on Nex and m4/3 camera's.
This effect varies with the lens used and the aperture used. Already at neutral color it is very obvious to see and it is not related to the ISO.

To avoid the effect with the Foveon sensor one has to stay at base ISO, do a very good white balance and do not push the colors too far.

Some posters comment this is due to an IR filter. Whether or not this is the case, in the end it doesn't really matter. I am a photographer first and I have to find a way to use my tools to best effect.

For very critical situations I found a way to correct the purple and green coloration. Like a proper color profile it can be handled by a simple preset. See samples and screen dumps.

Herb

Sigma Photo Pro uncorrected

Same file now with Lightroom color corrections

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.