Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How to change the owner's name...

jpreston
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to change the owner's name...

Quick question: I just bought a beautiful 1DsMkII from the B&S board and can't seem to figure out how to get the previous owner's name out of the exif data. Did a search and couldn't find an answer. Will someone please tell me how to do it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited on Sep 21, 2012 at 09:58 AM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to change the owner's name...

Connect it to a computer using Firewire and then use EOS Utility tools, which is on the Canon software CD.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:49 AM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to change the owner's name...

You have to tether it to your computer and change it via the EOS Utility software. Not sure on the MkII series if you have to connect via the firewire or usb to access the camera.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:49 AM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to change the owner's name...

Must have typed the same time as Jim above....firewire is correct...you won't be able to access the utility via USB....

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:52 AM
jpreston
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to change the owner's name...

I connected it with a USB cable and opened the EOS Utilities but the only option I can access is, "Monitor Folder." Don't have a Firewire cord or connection on my PC that I'm aware of.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:54 AM
jpreston
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to change the owner's name...

Jim Cowsert wrote:
Must have typed the same time as Jim above....firewire is correct...you won't be able to access the utility via USB....

Guess I need to go buy a firewire cable and figure out how to connect it to my PC.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:57 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to change the owner's name...

jpreston wrote:
Guess I need to go buy a firewire cable and figure out how to connect it to my PC.

Thanks,

Jeff

You'll probably need an add-on board with firewire ports, if you don't already have firewire. It should be easy if you're using XP or an older OS. Apparently, it's difficult to find firewire drivers for newer Win OS versions.

What OS are you using? Somebody will probably be able to suggest a way ahead if it's not going to be easy.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to change the owner's name...

Yep, you have to use XP. Really dumb move on Canon's part but that's the way it is. The IEEE driver for the camera is only compatible in XP, although I've heard people forcing the driver to work in Vista. I tried many times to get it to work in Win7, just wasn't happening.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to change the owner's name...

I had this issue with a 1d Mk II. I called CPS and there is a way to erase it without connecting it to the computer, but you can't change it. Unfortunately, I can't remember the steps.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to change the owner's name...

Most Macs have FW built in, so if have a friend with a Mac you can cockroach their machine for a few minutes. If it's an old Mac--circa 2008 or so--it will have FW400 built-in and you can use the FW cable that came with your camera. The newer Macs have FW800 and require a $5 FW800 to FW400 adapter. The most recent Macs have Thunderbolt and also require an adapter, but a really expensive one.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.