Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

artxas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
p.1 #2 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Wow, Dude, there are way to many images to comment specifically So my comments are more general: please, use less compression. It ruins many images artificat-wise. Love your b&w processing. The blacks are black, the whites are white. Makes me rethink my (at the moment) more conservative style because your images have so much punch - awesome.
There are many, many really cool images and some not so cool. If you streamline your set by cutting image count in half, it will be (even!) better

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Always love your work, but kind of mad at that lady for snatching the bouquet before the girl in the wheel chair could get it. I bet everyone was talking trash about her after that, haha.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #4 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Waaaaaay too many images, in my opinion. You have several that are very strong, so why not just show those? A set of 20 or less would have been much, much better.

And yes, they're either oversharpened or overly compressed. The contrast is a bit high for my liking, but I know that's a stylistic thing.

Overall, very nice!

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:19 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

thebeginning wrote:
Waaaaaay too many images, in my opinion. You have several that are very strong, so why not just show those? A set of 20 or less would have been much, much better.

And yes, they're either oversharpened or overly compressed. The contrast is a bit high for my liking, but I know that's a stylistic thing.

Overall, very nice!

+1 It's definitely a style thing. The contrast *for me* makes it hard to look at some of these. I tried a similar process before and I didn't care for it as a full set. However, yours are much more consistent than mine were so it may work for someone who wants a complete look.

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:27 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

love the way you dealt with the bright sun that day.
also the moments you choose to shoot are always very interesting and wonderful to view.
Chuck and Tony Hart take notice of the boss over there posting only bw images

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

boom goes the dynamite

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:59 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

dammit spencer. I wanted to say that.

this one for me was super boom.

(your portraits are ridonk as well)

Sep 22, 2012 at 06:22 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

pfffffffffffff....

106 reminds me of tracer fire.

Sep 22, 2012 at 09:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Today I learned to stop looking at your work whilst Im in the middle of processing my own stuff.

Sep 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #11 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

This is undeniably great set. B&W conversions works for me. But I'd cut the set for at least 30% to make it even stronger- for FM purposes at least, I can emagine b&g are just loving'em all.
But I have to say this to be honest (at least with myself): as this set is great, your previous sets I've seen- esp. engagement-like or aftersessions are just EXCELLENT, SUPERB, SENSATIONAL.

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:40 AM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

General comments:
I don't like how the blacks are blocked up. Her hair is a solid block of blackness, devoid of any detail... dial the contrast back a bit. Note: I do prefer punchy B&Ws myself (caucasian brunettes FTW). The grain/image resizing/sharpening is also resulting in JPEG artifacts. I'd redo it for web presentation, they look 'crunchy'.

Personal opinion: the floating hot air balloon thingies (forget what they're called) always look better to me when in color. My memory of them is always in that candle-lit yellow tone. Otherwise captured nicely.

Specific images:
54 captures my interest the most. Love the 'in between-ness' of it, and lack of camera awareness.

And illustrating art is subjective, the one JP is gushing over (71) is a "meh" from me. Part of the story, yes, but not too exciting on its own.

115, 123 great portraits and light.

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:11 AM
artxas
• •
p.1 #13 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Andrew Welsh wrote:
General comments:
I don't like how the blacks are blocked up. Her hair is a solid block of blackness, devoid of any detail... dial the contrast back a bit. Note: I do prefer punchy B&Ws myself (caucasian brunettes FTW). The grain/image resizing/sharpening is also resulting in JPEG artifacts. I'd redo it for web presentation, they look 'crunchy'.

Personal opinion: the floating hot air balloon thingies (forget what they're called) always look better to me when in color. My memory of them is always in that candle-lit yellow tone. Otherwise captured nicely.

Specific images:
54 captures my interest the most. Love the 'in between-ness'
...Show more

You have the wrong priorities. The Grain, B&W or JPEG artifacts are not important at all.
"The Decisive Moment" - this is the most important thing.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:02 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #14 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

artxas wrote:
You have the wrong priorities. The Grain, B&W or JPEG artifacts are not important at all.

I'm a fan man, but processing DOES matter at some point. You're capable of fine-tuning it so that the compression doesn't show, so do it. The last thing I want is a simple algorithm affecting how viewers perceive my work. That's not fair to the images. In this case, the compression is very noticeable, likely to even the client.

If the lighting wasn't perfect or something, I'd agree that the moment matters more. But this is an imperfection created by you completely in post. I don't think there's an excuse for that.

And if that other stuff didn't matter at all, we wouldn't edit our images at all. And we'd save ourself a bunch of time and money,

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:08 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

killer, as always...

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:13 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #16 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

artxas wrote:

I agree 100%. The decisive moment is the most important thing.

Grain, B&W, JPEG artifacts are also important and within your control. Not as important as the moment itself, but important. Presentation and the context in which they are presented affects your clients' perception- I am sure you know this. I'm admittedly not the best at this, but I at least know what NOT to do. These are minor concerns-- spit and polish on an already great product. Its like that new Cadillac in the showroom that just needs a wash and wax; it's still a Cadillac.

It's a simple fix for you really, dial back the resize sharpening, up the quality, and re-export from lightroom, black point issues aside. It happens to me occasionally, and it takes 2 minutes to redo it. I use Morgify to add my watermark automagically to each photo so I don't even have to do that step in PS.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:19 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Wedding photojournalism. Many, many photos :)

Andrew Welsh wrote:
I agree 100%. The decisive moment is the most important thing.

Grain, B&W, JPEG artifacts are also important and within your control. Not as important as the moment itself, but important. Presentation and the context in which they are presented affects your clients' perception- I am sure you know this. I'm admittedly not the best at this, but I at least know what NOT to do. These are minor concerns-- spit and polish on an already great product. Its like that new Cadillac in the showroom that just needs a wash and wax; it's still a Cadillac.

It's a simple
...Show more
The BW are punchy and the grain is there but that happens to me as well sometimes when things get compressed... in full size shots it is fine. I never really worry about it when blogging etc.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password