Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmw...

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9044/exclusive-canon-confirm-1d-c-4k-dslr-is-same-hardware-as-the-1d-x

all the talk of extra buffers and fast compression chips and custom housing for better heat dissipation and so on were all....

100% the same thing as a 1DX only they put a red badge on it to declare it Cinema class and swapped out the 1080p output code for a 4k output code block

people often wondered how much Canon would charge for a firmware upgrade to get more out of the hardware they deliver.... we now have the answer: $6000

wow....

at least they are being honest about it, they want $6000 for a firmware upgrade and not waiting until people cracked one open

i still can't help but feel if they were more aggressive they'd become THE player in this segment and do a lot better in the long run than trying to go the route of marketing they are, who knows

Edited on Sep 21, 2012 at 03:56 AM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:50 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

unless the digic 5+ is too large or takes too much power compared to digic 4, they could've easily made the 5D3 a dual digic model with crazy good video and gotten a lot more out of things, they do have the tech

even as is the 5D3 could support, with its actual hardware, better video and more mode options than we get out of it
and it could have a lot more features to make it more easily usable

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:51 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

now that ML can run on dual digic, one wonders what can be gotten out of the 1DX video

and it seems pretty likely that raw HDMI clean can be gotten out of the 5D3 and of course zebras and focusing peaking and so on can be added

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:54 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

skibum, what's new... we still paying 2002 sensor development cost

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:56 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

5D3 alpha ML is out, Houston, we have zebras and peaking
in 2-4 months probably a LOT, LOTTTT more

Sep 21, 2012 at 04:23 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

Using only firmware to differentiate the camera is a dangerous game for Canon to play as there's virtually no code that can't be hacked. I wonder what jack the article is referring to.

That said, it's still one of, if not THE cheapeast 4k camera in the market. It's obvious the target market is not the average video enthusiasts, it's the Hollywood. From the few videos I've watched, they've only recently realised the value of a compact video camera that can be placed in tight spaces where their main camera can't go.

Anyway, to put it in perspective, a basic RED Scarlet 4k camera set with Canon cine lens mount cost around $15-17k. And do you know how much those cine lenses cost? With an EF mount on the 1Dc, videographers still have a wide selection of more affordable lenses.

If Magic Lantern decides to implement the 4k functionality in the 1Dx, that's awesome. But don't cry because Canon decided to increase their markup in video market while still offering a relatively cheap 4k video camera.

Besides, it's irrelevant in this forum anyway, most of you guys don't want video in your DSLR right? If Canon only had a 1Dx with 4k and no 1Dc, and charge it $8k, the video guys would be ecstatic while you'd be screaming your head off about how Canon only focuses on video... So be glad Canon separated the two products.

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:26 AM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

n0b0 wrote:
That said, it's still one of, if not THE cheapeast 4k camera in the market.

Until Sony releases the 4K software upgrade for the FS700, which is rumored to run only $500, on top of the $8k for the body itself..vs $13k for the 1DC

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:32 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

snapsy wrote:
Until Sony releases the 4K software upgrade for the FS700, which is rumored to run only $500, on top of the $8k for the body itself..vs $13k for the 1DC

Well then Canon will have to drop their price. That's what competition is all about isn't it? and I just love Price War. Wish it would happen in the DSLR market.

Or perhaps that 4k upgrade is actually $5000, not $500 as rumoured.

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

n0b0 wrote:
Well then Canon will have to drop their price. That's what competition is all about isn't it? and I just love Price War. Wish it would happen in the DSLR market.

Or perhaps that 4k upgrade is actually $5000, not $500 as rumoured.

Yeah but they had the entire little large format cam market to themselves, took market by storm with 5D2 were THE player, now they will quickly give up the lead and be one of many and just playing the sit back and react to what others do game again. whatever.

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:11 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

skibum5 wrote:
i still can't help but feel if they were more aggressive they'd become THE player in this segment and do a lot better in the long run than trying to go the route of marketing they are, who knows

I strongly believe Canon upper-management needs a major shake-up.

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:17 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

skibum5 wrote:
unless the digic 5+ is too large or takes too much power compared to digic 4, they could've easily made the 5D3 a dual digic model with crazy good video and gotten a lot more out of things, they do have the tech

even as is the 5D3 could support, with its actual hardware, better video and more mode options than we get out of it
and it could have a lot more features to make it more easily usable

That would push the price higher and that's what they have C300/500 for.

You are expecting way too much of Canon my naive friend

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:10 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

This kind of pricing goes right along with a $2300 24-70 with no IS. I am not surprised at all...

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:09 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

Pixel Perfect wrote:
That would push the price higher and that's what they have C300/500 for.

You are expecting way too much of Canon my naive friend

I know, I'm just saying that they had the mini larger format video/movie thing in hand, but they blew it (not completely, but in part for sure), too slow, too conservative, too short term greedy. And it's not just me, the movie guys are saying it.

Funny how they initially had the market wrapped up.... UNTIL their marketing and exec team realized they had something and now they've done their typical thing and given much of it up.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

Ii am not sure if Andrew read more into the statement than was there.

He had been turning into more of a fanboy laterly, and almosta troll in his own comments. Not very professional at times.

The tech said it was the same body which makes sense. But whether it would be possible to run the 1DC firmware straight on the 1DX is unclear, or whether there are other internal differences (IK am not justifying the $6K, just questioning whether we have all of the facts yet.).

Phillip Bloom does have an excellent review on 1DX video from August 14. Very low key, no rig, lighting, or crew. Probably the best DSLR video out these. The 5D3 and D800 are probably still tied foe 2nd tier, depending. D800 some aliasing & moire, also some posterization/banding. 5D3 with none of those, but the D800 has clean HDMI out.

In comparisons, too, remember that the 1DC is also a still camera. So the C300 is a better comparison to the FS700, etc.

So many people have been comparing things like the BMCC to the 5DIII. That is somewhat worthwhile, but the big difference is this:

I also need a GREAT stills camera. So it is not a questiopn of $3,000 for the 5D3 or the BMCC. It is: Spend $3,000 for a stills camera, now:

Can I justify another $3,000 for a video camera?

Fpr many, the answer is still "no." So the T4i/GH3/etc. are the higher end for a B camera.

If I could justify it cost wise, the C100 looks great. That sensor in the C100/C300/C500 is fantastic! Pure color, no interpolation for color makes it really special!

I also calculated that if teh Yen was not so strong and was still at the 117-120 range of 2008, that $6,500 C100 would cost $4,333 ..... ah, Japan needs to intervene on the Yen, think of teh exports!!

Best,
Michael

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 1DC is nothing more than the exact 1DX with a minor firmware change

mmurph wrote:
Ii am not sure if Andrew read more into the statement than was there.

He had been turning into more of a fanboy laterly, and almosta troll in his own comments. Not very professional at times.

I don't think so, but perhaps. Didn't seem like it though.

Yeah, a little bit, I have noticed that. Perhaps he is just trying to wake Canon up though?

Sep 22, 2012 at 05:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password