Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

die_kruzen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

Hello All, well like many I am contemplating the leap from a 5DII to a 5DIII. My shooting mainly involves my kids and them just behaving like…..well kids. I know a lot has been said about the autofocus of the 5DIII and it might be the perfect fit for me, however I am just looking for advice from those who have made the switch.

Granted this isn't shooting sports, but it can be an awful lot of movement and the 5DII does okay. However, I am potentially looking for a step up. So, is the 5DIII autofocus that much of a step up that it would allow me to get the focus that much faster?

Thanks all, Pete

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

I'm not one who has made the switch. I could, but I decided not to. The 5D2 is a fine camera - more than fine enough, in fact - for the sort of shooting you describe. While the AF is likely to be "better," the issues are how much and at what cost.

As you say, the "5DII does OK."

I'd hang onto your money if I were you.

Dan

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:49 PM
Philip Mc
• •
p.1 #3 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

I changed my 5D MKII for the MKIII and IMO the difference in af alone is worth it, the MKIII is more sure footed than my 1D MKII and that is saying something. I shot a gig the other night exposure was averaging ISO 3200 f1.2 and 150/sec so pretty dark, the af on the outer points is fantastic, I shot 600 frames and had approx 20 oof.......some were of a singer who was very animated and I used servo for him placing an outer point on his eye I was blown away with af speed and accuracy, That's just my 2c worth, other nice plus's are build quality, customisable buttons (big plus), frames/sec, high iso quality and dual cards.........everybody's needs are different but for me it's been a great upgrade.
P

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

die_kruzen wrote:
Hello All, well like many I am contemplating the leap from a 5DII to a 5DIII. My shooting mainly involves my kids and them just behaving like…..well kids. I know a lot has been said about the autofocus of the 5DIII and it might be the perfect fit for me, however I am just looking for advice from those who have made the switch.

Granted this isn't shooting sports, but it can be an awful lot of movement and the 5DII does okay. However, I am potentially looking for a step up. So, is the 5DIII autofocus that much of
...Show more

One place where the 5D2 AF struggle is when the subject is close and changing relative distance a lot or when you need to use outer points for quick grab or really reliable low DOF one shot stuff. The 5D3 has more power for those types of things.

I have not done that sort of shooting to compare them, so I can't say for sure, but I'd suspect that the 5D3 would definitely help out for something like that. I think that is precisely something that the 5D3 might well do noticeably better.

I'd suggest giving it a try. (Maybe rent one for a day if you want to be cautious and are more suspicious of the switch. EDIT: and if you buy it, as artsupreme says, don't pay $3499 for it, wait on a sub $3000 deal, they have been as low as $2750 from legit dealers at times recently)

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 08:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:22 PM
azricano

p.1 #5 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

Having had the opportunity to shoot kids for a good while now, I have not felt limited by the 5D2's autofocus or image quality. Although it can be said that the autofocus of the 5D3 is superior to the 5D2, there is definitely a price to pay for it, which in my mind is not really worth it for the type of shooting that I do (Still portrait, family, travel, etc). To me, the 5D3 offers little in improved image quality and higher ISO capabilities, which is why I have decided to hang on to my trusty 5D2 for a little while longer. YMMV however.

While kids do tend to move around alot and "erratically" as many may put it, if they aren't running towards the camera or really fast, alot of the AF shortcomings can be accounted and predicted for in advance. It takes some practice, but I have gotten used to it in the last few years that I have had my 5D2. For the price difference between the fair market value and the cost of a new 5D3, I would much rather put the money into more glass, which in my opinion is a much better buy depending on the type of shooting that you do. You can never go wrong with a new lens

The 5D2 is still a phenomenal camera, even after 4 years of it's introduction, and is still one of the best cameras Canon has ever come out with. Although many have moved on to the newer 5D3 and the latest and greatest, the 5D2 still provides great images that continue to shine on today.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #6 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

I don't feel like the outer AF points of 5D2 are reliable in low light situation. It doesn't have to be that low light. Late afternoon before twilight in some not well lit areas is already bad for it. The camera may focus, but it's not accurate. Center focus is good, but I can't always focus and recompose.

On the other hand, I feel really confident with 5D3. I feel that the focus spots on almost 100%.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:29 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #7 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

Whatever you do don't pay anything near retail for the 5DIII. If you decide to get one make sure to pick one up for under 3K here on the B&S.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:33 PM
hsk06
• • •
p.1 #8 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

Pete,
In short, the 5D mark III is much better for kid/action shots.

Below are 2 Major points that differentiate it from the 5D Mark II
1. AF is much better, specially the outer AF points, which I use a lot.
2. Over all, it's much more responsive compared to the 5d II (shorter shutter lag, vf black out)

Minor Points:
1. Tv/Av or ISO safety shift
2. Audio monitor during movie mode.
3. 6 fps help with kids
4. I like dig 5 much better than dig 4
5. Video overall is better (no skipping, Av/Tv/M/A modes)
6. HDR and Multiple exposure is fun sometimes
I used the 5d mark ii for about 2 months, really didn't like it so I moved on.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ariel70

p.1 #9 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

I upgraded from 5D2 to 5D3 because I needed good AF with the outer focus points while my kids run and jump all over the place. Now I don't struggle with the AF anymore I just hunt for the right moment and enjoy the results. Big difference.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:44 PM
hsk06
• • •
p.1 #10 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

Oh by the way, I got one new for 2.8K at B.C. on Ebay last time. My kids are 3 and 5.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:49 PM
Marco
• • •
p.1 #11 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

Just made the move from 5D2 (which otherwise is still excellent) to 5D3 for the same reason, AF with kids.

So far, after only a week with the camera I have to say that it is absolutely worth the cost of the upgrade and not only because of the much faster and more accurate AF.
Higher ISOs are definitely improved to the point you can comfortably shoot at 6400 ISO, the silent shutter is quieter than my Leica M9 ever was and overall the camera just works. For everything.

Upgrade approved

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:55 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

The AF on the MK3 is much better. It is kind of spooky how accurate and fast it is. The first week with the camera I was in Spain by some people bungee jumping. The MK3s tracked was nearly 100% accurate with shots of people dropping down and getting bounced back up and flipped around. It was just as accurate with center focus and outer points.

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #13 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

I shot the 5DII for over two years. To me the difference in the AF alone was worth the upgrade. I would not go back.

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:32 PM
khng30
• •
p.1 #14 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

I shot the 5DII for over two years. To me the difference in the AF alone was worth the upgrade. I would not go back.

+1 Well worth the upgrade. Had 2 5D2 and could not keep the second as a backup because it was just too frustrating to go back to the old AF system. Whenever you get the chance would recommend the upgrade especially for shooting kids.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
die_kruzen
• •
p.1 #15 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

Hello all and thanks for the responses. It looks like the 5DM3 is the camera for me. I have just found it very difficult (probably not impossible) to keep up with the kids using the M2. When their fairly stationary...the M2 does just fine. However, when they get crazy..I just seem to loose a lot more photos then I would like. About the renting...that is a good idea. I actually rented a 1DX a couple of weekends ago. Fantastic camera -- but WAY too much camera for me. However, it's af did get me thinking about the M3 a bit more.

Yeah, I will have to wait until I can pick one up below the ~3400 retail.

Thanks again all, Pete

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #16 · Kids and the 5DIII question...

The 5D3 does look just like what I am after as well. The thing is do I keep saving, or just sell the 1Ds2, 7D and X100 now and be done with it!

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password