New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Light Stand Modification

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light Stand Modification

I just picked up an older light stand that is on casters. It looks to be in very good condition, but is old as dirt (well maybe not that old) ... the base is 3 legged and made of cast iron. I could have picked up a more modern version with 4 or 5 casters, but for the price difference, it was a "no brainer"

My question is regarding the stability issues of using this with a boom (picked up my first boom as well).

It would seem that as long as I position the boom directly "in line" with one of the legs, I'd have maximum stability ... OR
should I be concerned to modify with an outrigger/additional counter balance ... OR
dismiss the notion of using a three legged base with a boom?

My head tells me that booms were used with 3 legged bases long ago, so it should be fine (with some reasonable understanding of physics) as long as I don't try to get too crazy and pay attention. I'm not a huge studio shooter, but am thinking it will come in handy to venture into some tabletop ... and who knows, maybe even a portrait (hair light, etc.) one day.

FYI ... my "large" SB is only about 36x24 on B400 (i.e. lightweight) and about a 20" beauty dish and a globe are my modifier toys, so nothing too industrial just yet.

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light Stand Modification

Put a sand bag on the side of the base opposite the load on the boom and you'll be golden.

<Chas>

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light Stand Modification

Three legs are fine and, in fact, I haven't seen anything else in current catalogs. Aligning the boom over a leg is less important than having proper balance of weight across the fulcrum. Most important is having complete familiarity with the rig so as to avoid a trip to the hospital.

Sep 20, 2012 at 02:15 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light Stand Modification

Ditto what others have said: three legs are fine, don't try to extend the boom too far, have a counterweight on the other end of the boom from the light so that the center of balance of the boom is right at the center column of the stand, no worries.

4 or 5 casters are fine for an IV stand, but 3 are just as stable and are "wobble proof" by design.

Everything from an inexpensive Manfrotto Combi Boom (I have two of them) to a $1500 Mole-Richardson Comet use three legs, so it must be a good, time-proven design.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546705-REG/Manfrotto_420B_420B_Combi_Boom_Stand.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/275698-REG/Mole_Richardson_75_Comet_Boom_with_Roller.html

Sep 20, 2012 at 02:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light Stand Modification

Thanks guys ... sand bags rookie oversight

I knew there had to be a simple answer I was missing ... gotta love FM'ers.

Sep 20, 2012 at 06:45 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light Stand Modification

You may be planning on it, but balancing the boom is very important, so do not rely on just sand bags. And once it is all balanced and bagged, you still need to be very careful when you move the rig. And flying a boom over a table top subject is one thing, but when you are near or over a human, your responsibility for safety is very important. You mentioned that you are new to the studio, so I thought I would repeat some of what was posted above for you and for others that read the thread.

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light Stand Modification

I appreciate the input.

After being armed with the consideration that I could add the sand bags, I started to assemble / play with the rig for the first time. I've since realized how even just a few inches of counter-balance can make a big difference.

So, I'm good for now ... but figure if I need more later to add a sandbag, I'll use it to add more counter balance, rather than @ the base. The point balanced fulcrum seems to be the critical issue ... not the three legs.

Thanks guys.

BTW ... its a Photgenic Machine Co. stand & boom. I figure that cast iron will outlive me.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light Stand Modification

Roland W wrote:
?.. And flying a boom over a table top subject is one thing, but when you are near or over a human, your responsibility for safety is very important.

An important component in this situation is the safety cable. It forms a loop between boom and fixture in case the latter falls off. Baby pin and set screw doesn't look quite as awesome a design when hanging upside-down. You can find plenty of these at B&H for a few bucks (mine are Manfrotto and Matthews).

Sep 20, 2012 at 04:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.