New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Erin.

Ed Swift
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Erin.

Had a quick photo session tonight as practise for one I've been talked into on friday. Only took a few shots but i think this one turned out nicely.

Natural light, reflector on right.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8461/8003989867_6ca7208544_c.jpg

C&C please.

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 03:49 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:50 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Erin.

Howdy,

I see your photo post has had 100+ views and no comments from viewers.

I know that can be disappointing and often discourages people from posting/participating in a forum like this, especially when the ASK for comments so they may improve.

So, I will post a comment or two and maybe that will get others to contribute their views too.

As with anything where a subjective view (opinion) is shared, there can be many views of the same issue or subject.

Quick Comments:

She has a nice smile.

The expression captured is nice and appealing and because this is a close up it gives the impression of a friend in an intimate conversation (close).

So, a nice photo of a nice looking woman.

What don't I like?

I don't care for a few things about the composition and what else is shown in the scene (background).

But, those are minor things.

Getting the expression right is most important, and you got a nice one.

I hope these comments help you.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:24 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Erin.

Thanks Steady, I agree with you about the background, the place I wanted to shoot was in too much shade so had to move. The tree right at the back bugs me most.

What did you have in mind compositionally? I cropped a little too and right to remove dead space, should I put it back?

Also, my last set didn't really have enough shadow to give a proper 3d effect (eg under the nose) I think it's similar here but not sure how to combat that outside.

Thanks again,
Ed

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Erin.

Compositionally, I'd open up if you can and give her more room to breathe. It's just too tight.

Also, I'd clone out the tree in the middle of the sky. Depending on the ultimate crop, the ones on the left and right might have to go, too, but they don't bother me as much as the trunk in the middle.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Erin.

Ed Swift wrote:
Thanks Steady, I agree with you about the background, the place I wanted to shoot was in too much shade so had to move. The tree right at the back bugs me most.

What did you have in mind compositionally? I cropped a little too and right to remove dead space, should I put it back?

Also, my last set didn't really have enough shadow to give a proper 3d effect (eg under the nose) I think it's similar here but not sure how to combat that outside.

Thanks again,
Ed

I will send you a PM to explain a few more points. I prefer some critique comments to remain private (between me and the OP). I hope you will understand.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Erin.

Steve Wylie wrote:
Compositionally, I'd open up if you can and give her more room to breathe. It's just too tight.

Also, I'd clone out the tree in the middle of the sky. Depending on the ultimate crop, the ones on the left and right might have to go, too, but they don't bother me as much as the trunk in the middle.

I agree with these suggestions...or should I say: "I concur."

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Erin.

I agree with the others that the background could use some adjustments and the expression is a strong point.

Try this: Scroll the picture (or crop) until all of the bright sky is hidden. That crops a part of her head. How do you like that look?

I think your reflector is providing a tiny bit too much light. The shadow side of her face could be a bit darker.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Erin.

Hi All, thanks for the suggestions.

Going with Steady's additional suggestions in a PM, and also Jim's of cutting out the sky how about this:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8182/8007167254_bd3851b979_c.jpg

Also here is a totally un-cropped version, with the tree cloned out. I also put the blacks a little higher to have more shadow, obviously this affected the coat too, but i hope it's not too dark now.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8172/8007169025_877566e2c2_c.jpg

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 03:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Erin.

Hi Ed,

I like the cropped version (BW) the most.

I suggest making it a bit smaller for display on this site. 800px maxmium height (or 700) is a better size for more monitors I believe.

My Suggestion: Keep getting those nice expressions!

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Erin.

thanks Steady, I just posted a version with a tighter crop, the space top right corner was bugging me, not sure which version you have seen.

I'll reduce the size too.

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Erin.

Ed, you liked my suggestion of the crop on top. Here's why it works and what to consider for future compositions.

In your original shot, you have: Dark background, light toned model plus a (distracting) bright element, the sky.

In the crop, you have: Dark background and light toned model. (No distractions)

Light on dark (or the reverse) works best without background tones that compete (tone wise).

So compose without that bright sky or a bright white object in the background when your model is the bright object against a dark background.

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:50 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Erin.

Yeah that makes sense. Will remember that for the future.

Thanks

I'm out again tonight with a different model so hopefully can come up with some better photos following these suggestions.

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:31 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.