Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10              35       36       end

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience

S Dilworth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

eosfun wrote:
It is marketing speak, believe me Anyway, the new 180 nanometer wafers that produce parts of the 6D sensor are developed to reduce noise at high ISO and enhance dynamic range.

And yet you talk about a 180 nm process. Doesn’t that represent an advance of lithographic node over that used to fab existing Canon full-frame sensors?

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:23 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.9 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

eosfun wrote:
I expect the 6D to get more attention from professionals than expected.

That's what I'm expecting too.
Pros will likely be the largest group of 6D buyers - even though Canon spec'd the 6D as a consumer camera.

So, it looks like Canon's crippling efforts will result in mostly an inconvenience for pros, who are not supposed to buy the 6D.
At the same time, the 6D might not have enough wow factor for enthusiasts, for whom this camera is supposedly aimed at.

Isn't that ironic .

Nov 13, 2012 at 05:00 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.9 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

eosfun wrote:
Anyway, the new 180 nanometer wafers that produce parts of the 6D sensor ...

Wow, is that true? What about the 7DII sensor - is the entire sensor made on 180nm process or just parts of it .

Nov 13, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.9 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

What 7D II?

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.9 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

S Dilworth wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised by how the camera sits in the hand. It feels more solid than the Nikon D600, perhaps because there’s more metal in it. In my experience, Nikons usually feel more solid than Canons (EOS-1-series excepted), so this was surprising. The feeling is ‘light but tough’. The viewfinder is comfortable and good.

That was exactly my experience when I held it in my hands.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:21 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.9 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Can you tether the 6D to an iPad or iPhone like Tetherfly or CamRanger?

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:39 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.9 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

As always, thanks for the insight EOSfun. It is seriously going to be hard for me to not get on the pre-order list - and this is coming from a guy who was "perfectly happy" with my A-1 and a box of Velvia...until I got a killer deal on a 5Dc two years ago.

I do at least one portrait session at White Sands National Monument every month, and once the sun goes down I have about 5 minutes before the AF is toast and I'm above a workable ISO due to the rapidly fading light. Just the -3EV focus and clean high ISO alone would open up a whole bunch more time and creative application.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:42 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.9 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

dolina wrote:
Can you tether the 6D to an iPad or iPhone like Tetherfly or CamRanger?

It comes with a free app for IOS and Android systems.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS_app

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:46 PM
juanpesandi

p.9 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Hello Juan,

I am fine .

Concerning your question: Who could be able to answer it? As far as I know, those who had the 6D in their hands without signing a non-disclosure where not allowed to safe images (like me). In specs 6D looks better than 5D II in all features except 1/4000th compared to 1/8000 and 1MP less resolution. Both items are not necessary for portraits.
It felt even better in my hands than the 5D II, my favorite camera I used the last 3.5 years.
Concerning IQ 6D offers a new sensor, nobody knows much (if not anything) about.
...Show more

Hi, Ralph. I'm glad you're fine.

I know it's impossible to tell yet. It's just that I want to know as soon as possible because I'm going for vacation on December and I want to take the camera I'm going to buy soon to the trip (5D Mark II or 6D).

Does everyone believe that 6D's image quality will beat the 5D's? Or do you think it will come out before December for people to test it? I mean, the samples Canon gives in its website are always unreliable.

I'm so hesitant right now. I Need some suggestions. Should I wait until the last minute?

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.9 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I am pretty sure IQ is better than 5D IIs (which is already fantastic). I am nearly sure it is even better than 5D IIIs. It should be with 2 MP less and same sensor design. But I expect a newer and enhanced one in DR and noise. I am not sure that the camera will be available before your trip or you might get one, if.

And at least in my lifetime it happened a couple of times that I failed, when I felt pretty, pretty sure

Ralph

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.9 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jorkata wrote:
That's what I'm expecting too.
Pros will likely be the largest group of 6D buyers - even though Canon spec'd the 6D as a consumer camera.

So, it looks like Canon's crippling efforts will result in mostly an inconvenience for pros, who are not supposed to buy the 6D.
At the same time, the 6D might not have enough wow factor for enthusiasts, for whom this camera is supposedly aimed at.

Isn't that ironic .

You may call it ironic. To me 6D feels more as a tool that brings people back to the roots.
One AF-point you can trust upon even in worsest light conditions, no high tech gimmicks that prevent you from doing the important thing: See your motive and take the shot. This is a camera one can use successfull when knowing about photography. Not knowing the cameras manual.
I am sure, this camera will find a huge customer base in pros if the new sensors IQ is acceptable. Imo they should have let away the program dial too and just have left a switch between AV, TV, M. - But of course they should not have killed the joystick.

Ralph

Edited on Nov 13, 2012 at 07:33 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:27 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jj_glos wrote:
[The 6D] comes with a free app for IOS and Android systems.

It won't transfer raw files or full-sized JPEGs! Only S2 files.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:31 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.9 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

BrianO wrote:
It won't transfer raw files or full-sized JPEGs! Only S2 files.

During the presentation on photokina they (Canon) said it is possible to transfere both, raw AND jpeg images. The raws where shown on the tablet in the video I mentioned above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=eeHpHVfUF6Y&feature=endscreen

View 34:57.

They did not say anything about a size restriction of images. But they said life video transfere is not transfareable now.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
During the presentation on photokina they (Canon) said it is possible to transfere both, raw AND jpeg images.

I can only go by what Canon USA says, since I don't speak German.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.9 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Thank you. I did not know this. But they say: for optimalquality and speed of transmission to a smart phone. The exsample I mentioned showed how to work with it with a tablet.

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:00 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.9 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am pretty sure IQ is better than 5D IIs (which is already fantastic). I am nearly sure it is even better than 5D IIIs.

If eosfun is right about the new tech in the 6D sensor, the 6D might actually have better image quality than the 5DIII.
We could expect less noise at high ISOs and banding might be gone indeed (as already hinted by Canon's official samples).

Come on, eosfun, give us something more about the new sensor tech .

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.9 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jj_glos wrote:
It comes with a free app for IOS and Android systems.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS_app

Thanks jj. The Canon UK site has a better explanation on the app

EOS Remote (FREE works on iOS and Android but requires 6D or newer bodies)

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remote.aspx

- Composing
- Camera Settings
- AF Operation
- Remote Release
- Play & Review
- Transfer & Share
- No Record Movies
- No Intervalometer / HDR
- No Macro & Focus Stacking

CamRanger ($300 works on iOS and select cameras that do not have wifi)

http://www.camranger.com/

- Capture & View Images
- Live View
- View & Edit Camera Settings
- Record Movies
- Intervalometer / HDR
- Macro & Focus Stacking

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:14 PM
juanpesandi

p.9 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am pretty sure IQ is better than 5D IIs (which is already fantastic). I am nearly sure it is even better than 5D IIIs. It should be with 2 MP less and same sensor design. But I expect a newer and enhanced one in DR and noise. I am not sure that the camera will be available before your trip or you might get one, if.

And at least in my lifetime it happened a couple of times that I failed, when I felt pretty, pretty sure

Ralph

I guess I'll just order the 6D. I don't feel completely sure of buying an old camera like 5D Mark II anyways.

I'm just gonna wait until the end of November and see if someting comes up.

Thanks a lot, Ralph !

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:37 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.9 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Come on, eosfun, give us something more about the new sensor tech .

Think reduction of noise, especially at base ISO. That also does have it's effects on high ISO noise of course, but by bringing down ground noise levels the image quality will be better. Dynamic range as a result of the new sensor tech is also to be expected better. Have EOSfun

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:40 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.9 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

eosfun wrote:
Think reduction of noise, especially at base ISO. That also does have it's effects on high ISO noise of course, but by bringing down ground noise levels the image quality will be better. Dynamic range as a result of the new sensor tech is also to be expected better. Have EOSfun

It would be interesting to see if this will surpass the 5D3 in DR and image noise.

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password